Zoom during a command?

ACADuser

So in this example, I start the 2nd arrow & want to snap to the vertex of the existing arrow (2 segments).

I start the command but realize the snap will not snap to the vertex unless I zoom in.

How do I zoom while holding down the mouse button dragging the arrow?

Happy New Year.

CA Zoom.JPG

Thanks Mark, seems to work, although crossing with the left hand is awkward.

Wonder why Chief did not use + -

It would be sooo nice if you had the option to pick - pick rather that Click - drag

Then you could use the wheel to zoom & Pan. Realy a much better method.

10 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I find that I occasionally have to roll the mouse wheel with my second finger while holding the left mouse button with the index finger. It is a little awkward but works when necessary.

I have mentioned in the past that I use 2 mice - one for each hand - this situation is one of the many reasons that I learned to do so.  My second finger is on my left hand not awkward at all.  Moreover, with my scroll set to free wheel, I can move across a screen in and out pretty quickly.

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Wonder why Chief did not use + -

It would be sooo nice if you had the option to pick - pick rather that Click - drag

Then you could use the wheel to zoom & Pan. Realy a much better method.

+ is a shifted key (shift=) on the normal keyboard , so I think it is setup to use the NUM PAD by default actually  but you can set your own hot keys too.  

I find I can zoom in with the mouse wheel while dragging etc if needed with no issues.....maybe i misunderstand what you are trying to do though?

M.

I think I've posted this tip for you a few times Alan...

1. Click once as usual to start your operation (draw, move, resize, etc.).  This can be using any mouse button as necessary.
  2. Drag your item outside the drawing window and without letting go of your original mouse button, click once on one of your unused mouse buttons.
  3. Let go out of your original mouse button.  You can now return to the drawing area and pan and zoom as usual.  Just click again to finish the operation. 

NOTE:  During step 2 it is best to click once using either your center mouse wheel or your left mouse button.  If you use your right mouse button and you aren't completely outside Chief's window you may get a little popup menu.  If you DO get the menu just move your mouse outside the menu box but still outside the drawing area and left click to get rid of it.

It might be a bit unusual but if you take a few minutes to get used to it, I think you'll be happy you did.

You may have Michael but I like to stir the pot. Also at 69 I forget a lot of what I was told yesterday.:huh:

Just seems to me that such a common frequently repeated operation should not require finger gymnastics or two mice or any other such nonsense.

Zooming & Panning during a command should be a no-brainer and help the workflow.

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

While I've set the keyboards I use all the time to left side I also use a wireless number pad so never changed that one.

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think I've posted this tip for you a few times Alan...

1. Click once as usual to start your operation (draw, move, resize, etc.).  This can be using any mouse button as necessary.
  2. Drag your item outside the drawing window and without letting go of your original mouse button, click once on one of your unused mouse buttons.
  3. Let go out of your original mouse button.  You can now return to the drawing area and pan and zoom as usual.  Just click again to finish the operation. 

NOTE:  During step 2 it is best to click once using either your center mouse wheel or your left mouse button.  If you use your right mouse button and you aren't completely outside Chief's window you may get a little popup menu.  If you DO get the menu just move your mouse outside the menu box but still outside the drawing area and left click to get rid of it.

It might be a bit unusual but if you take a few minutes to get used to it, I think you'll be happy you did.

I've always used the "hold left button and use second finger to scroll out then in to get to second snap position" and have 

become good at doing it, but your suggestion is better, thanks !

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 does have it's own "Click-Lock" option in the Mouse Options ( Control Panel), and it does work in X9  but I personally don't like it in the rest of Windows so don't use myself but I think you could get used to it if that's how you like to work....

M.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, ACADuser said:

You may have Michael but I like to stir the pot. Also at 69 I forget a lot of what I was told yesterday.:huh:

Just seems to me that such a common frequently repeated operation should not require finger gymnastics or two mice or any other such nonsense.

Zooming & Panning during a command should be a no-brainer and help the workflow.

... other such nonsense; that kind of hurts my feelings.

Not really, when I suggest using 2 mice I can always count on an eye roll.   When my clients watch me work they are blown away with the efficiency that I have developed.  I copy/paste, open dialog boxes, without moving a cursor, along with being able to scroll in and out with a command selected.  I used to be able to cross monitors, tools selected, with ease until the apple version of chief came out.  

I am not that far behind you in age; if I can learn to use 2 mice then pretty much anyone can.

Using two mice is a good, but with one of them being a 3D SpaceMouse its even better in my opinion, and it even works while modal dialogs are displaying.

I am not a professional user, but even with my limited use I couldn't imagine using Chief without one.