Underside of a roof plane

mtldesigns

16 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Just did a quickie test plan and it looks like you should be able to do a transparent ( Insulation Air Gap ) soffit material and a 5 1/2" sub fascia and then manually delete the sub fascia.  The custom rafter tail seems like it should work but this might be easier.

Rafter tails.jpg

Hi Chopsaw ,

I thought this method would work too , made the sub-Fascia 1/16th thick and was just going to make it/paint it White with the Rafters  but for some reason in my Test Plan it will not let me have White Rafters/subfascia if I use an Air Gap or Open - No Material   Material for the Soffit.....  I see that you can ...would you mind posting your test plan so I can figure out why it doesn't work here, thanks.... unless You Know why?

M.

Mick, Try turning off the sub fascia with it set to 5 1/2" like Perry suggested and then set the Insulation air gap material in the Materials tab with Edit all roof planes.  I can post the plan if it does not work but I think it should be working for you.

46 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Mick, Try turning off the sub fascia with it set to 5 1/2" like Perry suggested and then set the Insulation air gap material in the Materials tab with Edit all roof planes.  I can post the plan if it does not work but I think it should be working for you.

The reason I made it 1/16th was that if I turn it off the Rafters don't get Cut at 5 1/2 inch 

Maybe my Profile.Plan is no longer the OOB Profile Plan from CA and something is messed up..... not sure maybe it isn't the X9 version? in my Plans Folder ?

M.

55 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Leave it on, don't turn off, its invisible, !/16" is good.

the difference is that I have a Fascia Board .....turn it back on and no White Rafters in Chop's Plan either.....  not sure why your Rafters still get cut yet with no sub Fascia.

Weirdly to do that I had to use the "Edit All Roof Planes" tool  for existing Roof Planes,   which I didn't need to do in Mine ?????

Ahhhhhh the quirks of CA  :)  

There is a difference between sub fascia and soffit,  make soffit invisible to see rafters ,and just turn off sub-fascia but also set it at 5.5" , it will stick.. if you want a fascia turn it on, You may have to change the rafter colors manually unless you have set your defaults to white.

40 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

May be a dumb question but are you guys changing your rafters to a white material after you frame the roof? Don't they have to be "fir framing" first to build?

Its actually the material definition that matters the most.  You can use ANY material from the library just so long as the material type is set to Framing...

5a3840cab0eab_Framing1.thumb.jpg.172bba5f4f836b44e30273cbe2a77539.jpg5a3840c9a9eab_Framing2.thumb.jpg.3f0c55f6ce14fddf4b4e4618535515ce.jpg

• mtldesigns changed the title to Underside of a roof plane
12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Its actually the material definition that matters the most.  You can use ANY material from the library just so long as the material type is set to Framing...

5a3840cab0eab_Framing1.thumb.jpg.172bba5f4f836b44e30273cbe2a77539.jpg5a3840c9a9eab_Framing2.thumb.jpg.3f0c55f6ce14fddf4b4e4618535515ce.jpg

That's it --- exposed, carpet-wrapped studs WILL be in one of my houses some day... :P

I missed all this today?  Still wonder why I get timed out of the forum..?

Anyways, all great stuff here, with Chops method, by using the air gap for the soffit, it gave me the exposed rafters.  However I still needed the fascia, but like K bird noted, the rafters aren't painted.  I set all the fascia thicknesses to 7 1/4", then unchecked the Gable and Eave fascia and left Eave Sub checked.  This gave me the tail at the right thickness.  This still showed the OSB of the sub-roofing material, so I covered that with a thin shadow board (1/16 x 1-1/2") to cover the OSB and the gap that was on the gabled end. Finished off with  frieze board with a vertical offset..(because with a soffit roof blocking is not automatic.  Is it perfect, nope, but it gets me going in the right direction. Still has that weird birds mouth cut like what chop showed on 18 and a little "point" sticking out there on the gable end.      

roof plane underside revised.jpg

I don't think chief has put any programming in place to display bird's mouth cuts unless you want to apply a perfectly precise rafter tail.

The "point" looks to be generated by the frieze board and Eric may have a solution or comment on that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Rob all you need to do is select the polyline and put it into your user library.  It automatically goes in as a profile. 

Edited by Chopsaw
Thanks for the correction Eric.
  • Upvote 1