Steel bar joist and tectum

raltd9245

The problem with things like steel bar joists or any other open web type joist design is that the object would need to be entirely unique for each and every possible length, height, and even width configuration.  Its not unlike a truss...There's no way a "truss" library object could really be used for anything except the one specific situation it was created for. 

The best I've been able to do with Chief was to create these type of joists myself using molding lines.  Use a regular molding extrusion for the continuous horizontal pieces and then use 3D moldings for the non-continuous elements.  The 3D molding parts need to be modified on a joist by joist basis.  It's a little tedious but I think its currently about the best we can do.  It would be nice if we had a parametric object to do this type of modeling or if the floor truss tool was somehow expanded to allow various extrusions other than just framing members. 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:53 AM, raltd9245 said:

I was looking for Steel bar joist. Are they available in chief or do I have generate my own. I don't think Tecktum is a material either

Not available in Chief AFAIK but there are a few on the 3D Warehouse you could import perhaps?  but it would be pretty time consuming I'd think to do a whole project, might be easier to just make the material for the Chief Floor Truss 1" and Metal to get an auto-generated approximation...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/f3b4a3d67d9e47f4bd0453f33162bdd5/Steel-Bar-Joist

On 9/16/2017 at 11:01 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

The problem with things like steel bar joists or any other open web type joist design is that the object would need to be entirely unique for each and every possible length, height, and even width configuration.  Its not unlike a truss...There's no way a "truss" library object could really be used for anything except the one specific situation it was created for. 

The best I've been able to do with Chief was to create these type of joists myself using molding lines.  Use a regular molding extrusion for the continuous horizontal pieces and then use 3D moldings for the non-continuous elements.  The 3D molding parts need to be modified on a joist by joist basis.  It's a little tedious but I think its currently about the best we can do.  It would be nice if we had a parametric object to do this type of modeling or if the floor truss tool was somehow expanded to allow various extrusions other than just framing members. 

Well tell ne how its done with wood floor joists. I would think Steel would be similar

Here is a thread where Michael and I hacked about with a three layer I joist concept which you may be able to adapt some aspects of or maybe Michael would be able to make a short video of the 3D molding process as I would love to see that as well.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/12736-provide-2-materials-for-i-joists/#comment-109726

11 hours ago, raltd9245 said:

Well tell ne how its done with wood floor joists. I would think Steel would be similar

If you don't need to be too accurate ? and it's more for the visuals . you can use the Floor Truss Tool..... here the floor structure is 27 " ---  24" truss + 3" lightweight concrete --- truss is set with webbing at 1 inch and the webbing thickness at 1" as well..... it is all square stock but if not zoomed in in the view, it is hard to tell...

Capture88.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great tutorial, for the life of me I can not understand why Chief does not make this part of the program.My standard refrain is: I can get colored hangers but not the framing I require to complete a project in a timely manner. I sure hope Dermot is watching. PLEASE

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2017 at 11:52 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

Yep.  So we have to come up with our own methods to get it done.   Here's one...

Bar joist example plan.plan

Steel Bar Joist Starter Library.calibz

Its just a basic starter kit but hopefully it helps some of you out enough for you to consider sending a ridiculously large donation my way :) 

Michael they should incorporate your efforts and pay you for your efforts.

• 3 months later...

Micheal,

Great effort to create these Bar joist.

I was trying to use them on my current building with a flat roof.

Well almost flat. That is the problem I am having, I need to rotate them to 1/4" per foot slope.

Is that doable with your method?

36 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

I need to rotate them to 1/4" per foot slope.

Is that doable with your method?

I think you just missed Michael but this should be doable if you draw your sloped cad line in elevation view and then convert to molding poly line and distribute in plan view.  I have not been through the whole process but that is what I would try and Michael will likely be able to comment soon.

we have Sloping Flat Roof Trusses but I don't believe they are able to be Top Hung like Michael's Floor System above unless that changed in X10? , I have not played with it in X10.  Not sure if they can be forced down into the Wall or not Michael may know....

M.

Don’t have time to get into either of these things in any real detail but:

-  You CAN use trusses for a quick depiction.  There are a lot of forks in the road but you essentially need to use a dropped ceiling plane that doesn’t extend to your wall’s main layer.  

-  I haven’t needed to creat any sloped bar joists just yet but I’m sure it’s poasible.  Just might require a slightly different symbol and some additional steps.