JECORMIER

Scotch valley rafter manipulation

Hey all!

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Got a "fitment" issue with my scotch valley rafter laying flat on the roof plane over my bedroom. I'm trying to create a base for my creeper (cripple) rafters to rest on. I created a solid polyline member on a flat planer level but can't get it to lay along the roof plane (angle) over the bedroom. As you can see, it's sitting in time out like a kid who didn't eat their veggies. I've included the plan along with an example of a scotch valley.

Thanks a bunch guys/gals-

Justin

ROOF.plan

scotch-valley.gif

I don't think that can be done with polyline solids with any degree of efficiency but if you Skype I could try to show you a trick that worked for me once.

If you copy one of the rafters do point to point and move to the the end of the ridge, select that rafter and swap dimensions  the depth will be 1 1/2" and width will be 9 1/4" and make adjustments.

Here is the plan

ROOF fix.plan

Very cool. Thanks a bunch!

Onto the next bit of framing.

Again, thank you-

J

Here's another idea...

It might take a bit of practice to get efficient at this method, but you can:

1.  Convert the whole building (or at least the roof) to a symbol.

2.  Drop the new symbol into a blank plan and rotate the symbol onto its side so you are working parallel with the roof plane.

3.  Draw your your polyline solids using CAD Details From View to get your snap points from.   If you aren't familiar with doing this, I posted a handful of videos on the subject here...

4.  Convert those p-lines to solids and explode into faces so you can apply different materials to each face (if you even care enough about this).

5.  Convert your new rafters to a symbol.

6.  Place that new symbol into your plan, rotate it so that its the same angle as your roof, and reposition in plan and elevation views...again using CAD Detail From View to get your snap points.

You can really get a pretty accurate model doing this.  It really just depends on how much accuracy you want.  I went through these steps for a similar situation here...

Again, there are simpler ways that might cut it for you, but if you're really after accuracy this is one good way.

Roof pic.jpg

ROOF (modified).plan

• Upvote 1

I never take the time to do that b/c no one sees it. I simply handle that with a cad detail of the California tie in.

Wow!  Michael!  What a great tutorial!

Very interesting uses of symbol make and use, and CAD DETAIL FROM VIEW use.  Super helpful.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I never take the time to do that b/c no one sees it. I simply handle that with a cad detail of the California tie in.

I concur,  but that darn Alaskan Guy comes up with some pretty good stuff......  I had to give him another point.

Use a box, in floor plan view.  Orient it to be perpendicular to an exterior wall.  Size it and tilt it up to match the pitch of the roof.  Move it to the correct elevation in a cross section view.  The tricky part is aligning it to the valley, but you can get it close in floor plan view.

Once in place you can trim the ends using solid subtraction methods in floor plan view.

Rafters are solids made from copies of rafters.  Create what you need to cut the bottoms off in a cross section view.

Sounds like a lot, but it can go fairly quickly once you get used to it and it is accurate for the most part.