ChiefTalk Migration

Dan_Park

16 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

Thank you Dan,

It is not always reproducible, I'll keep my eye on that. It is working now. 

BT

Ok,

Let me know if it returns. Prior to the update I would have expected this if you were also logged in on another device.

1 hour ago, Mark3D said:

new problem since update I get signed out every time I leave the forum desktop and mobile safari chrome

Are you using a bookmark to open chieftalk?

I just discovered an issue where using an old bookmark (forums.chiefarchitect.com) would open with you signed out. Changing the bookmark to chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com seems to solve the issue.

There appear to be a few edge cases where session cookies are deleted causing you to have to login again. I'll take a close look at this but most of the time these changes are made to protect the integrity of the login information.

If you have to retype your username and password then it's another issue.

44 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Dan,

The Post #'s are not consistent.  The same numbers can appear on different pages within a Thread - not always starting with #1 and then restarting on each successive page.

I'm having difficulty attempting to reproduce the issue.

Posts should count starting from #1 on the first page then based on the number of posts per page show the number of the displayed posts.

The first number of the post is calculated based on the page number and the number of posts per page.

For the first post on the page I add an id attribute of the post number. Subsequent posts have an id of -1. I also write out the post number on initial page load for each post.

When a javascript reload is made the posts are renumbered from top to bottom based on the first page. For non-javascript enabled browsers it should work because the page is reloaded each time.

So my suspicion is that the problem is related to the browser you are using or you are getting to the page in a way different than I have tested.

If you can reproduce the problem it would help me if you can describe the circumstances.

Also does a page reload fix the issue? 

44 minutes ago, Dan_Park said:

I'm having difficulty attempting to reproduce the issue.

Posts should count starting from #1 on the first page then based on the number of posts per page show the number of the displayed posts.

The first number of the post is calculated based on the page number and the number of posts per page.

For the first post on the page I add an id attribute of the post number. Subsequent posts have an id of -1. I also write out the post number on initial page load for each post.

When a javascript reload is made the posts are renumbered from top to bottom based on the first page. For non-javascript enabled browsers it should work because the page is reloaded each time.

So my suspicion is that the problem is related to the browser you are using or you are getting to the page in a way different than I have tested.

If you can reproduce the problem it would help me if you can describe the circumstances.

Dan,

I'm using the Firefox Browser.  When I first enter a Thread it starts with Post #1.  Then if I go to the next page everything is still OK - Post #26 for example.  However, if I then select page #1 the numbering seems to be starting at the same number as the 2nd page.  Refresh while on page #1 does reset to Post #1.

1 hour ago, Dan_Park said:

This is reproducible with the Windows 10 browser "Edge" in that everything works at first but then if you use the tabs at the top of the page to go back to "First Page" the very first post will acquire the post number from the top of whatever page you were just on.  For example on this thread if you want to review the opening post on page 1 after reading the last post on page 6  it will acquire the number of  #126.  Refresh does fix it but should not be necessary.

Thank you Dan for sticking with this.  Chopsaw

4 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

This is reproducible with the Windows 10 browser "Edge" in that everything works at first but then if you use the tabs at the top of the page to go back to "First Page" the very first post will acquire the post number from the top of whatever page you were just on.  For example on this thread if you want to review the opening post on page 1 after reading the last post on page 6  it will acquire the number of  #126.  Refresh does fix it but should not be necessary.

Thank you Dan for sticking with this.  Chopsaw

I made a change to the numbering. Can you confirm this is now working?

Regarding the search function-we used to be able to get results by thread title only. I can't find a way to do that now? makes it very hard to sort through.

Also appears that the search function is now case sensitive? or is there another reason that I often get no results?

can't search for all posts by specific member any longer? I often don't remember what it was but who (senioritis)

Have done that- "by author" still requires a search term, can no longer just search for posts by Donald Duck...

I'll get around that but ...

what I do not see is an option to limit results to Titles instead of each and every post in every thread that matches. Faster and easier to find based on titles, guess I could call support more ;->

24 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Just tried a search by author- one of the ruby gurus, with search term macro- anywhere and any-No results. Get that a lot from the advanced search, at times I've resorted to web search.

I can very easily reproduce this issue as well.  You can always sort through a particular members topics and posts too...

Topics and posts by member.png

7 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

That helps a lot Michael, thanks. Still would like to see by title in other search results.

We do have that filter in advanced search options.  You are correct though.  We are having major problems with the advanced search.  It doesn't actually appear to work at all.

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

By the way, here's a pretty cool feature I just stumbled across...

I noticed that a while ago  but it seems to be highly unpredictable at least for me using "Edge".   It may be something Dan needs to look at when he get caught up.  It seems to work about 40% of the time for me but you can get 6 or more in a row and then nothing for 10 tries.