Limiting Decimal Spaces for Areas

dshall

Joe, I wish I new how to do what you are recommending, but I don't. i am not a programmer and I do not have time to learn. I am looking for the answer. I would like to hire you in about 2 weeks to get this crap worked out and then I will share in a video with others...

I would encourage you to hire Joe to help you START to learn basic Ruby syntax and how/where to use it within Chief, but I would offer a friendly word of caution so you don't get your hopes up too high...

Don't expect to walk away after one or 2 meetings with Joe and be able to just know how to use and teach macros. You might get the basic idea and a basic understanding but it takes a lot of time and energy to get truly proficient at it. It's more akin to learning a new language with all its intricacies than it is to learning how to use a piece of software. You can quickly learn how to say "hello my name is Scott, where is the bathroom" and you can probably teach others to say the same but that's about the extent of it. You won't be able to carry on a conversation or instruct anyone on the little intricacies without dedicating the time.

Just be prepared to invest a lot of time and energy both to learn the language and to practice it. The thing is that in order to create anything beyond a very basic macro that you'll need to really have your head wrapped around the language before you're able to make real use of it. Which means having it seared into your subconscious. You'll probably lay awake at nights creating scripts in your head and you'll be thinking in terms of "dot to underscore s(tring)" for weeks on end....

you'll probably never be the same again.

Anyway, have fun :)

By reading the help files or going through the Ruby tutorial for starters.

Thanks. It's not in the normal help file...to find the Ruby Tutorial you have to open the Ruby Console and type in "tutorial". Could CA have made this more difficult to locate. I don't think so.

Really...I'm still learning the basics of Chief so Ruby programming is beyond my reach at the moment but I find the idea and capabilities that it brings to Chief intriguing.

Lew,

Until CA decides to actually ask what the output should be - and has the resources to provide custom programing............ They won't know what to fix or how to fix it.

This particular item is a matter of rounding to 7 decimal places.  That's obviously way to many - but how many places should it be 0,1,2,3 ?  I would bet there are as many who will say 3 as will say 0 as will say 2.

Joe,

Come on, that's an easy one.

The number of decimal places should be an option or preference.

Only way that's going to happen with Chief's built-in macros is to have a different one for each.  :P:lol:

btw, I can do it as a user preference. ;) ;) ;)