Rim joists- I just don't get it

dshall

In X-6 they did some work on rim joists.  I don't know what they did because nothing seems to work for me.  Does anybody see an improvement?

-I still can't specify I do not want a rim joist under a particular wall (I want a beam)

-I still can't specify no rim joists ever,  and then specify rim joist under a particular wall

Working on a plan right now:

-In several instances I have a double rim joist under a wall,  I want a single (can't change it)

-In several instances I have a single rim joist under a wall,  I want a double (can't change it)

I just don't understand why I am having to mess with this crap.  Didn't the BETA TESTERS send in reports on this and if reports were sent in,  would they of fixed this?

Just nonsense.

In X-6 they did some work on rim joists.  I don't know what they did because nothing seems to work for me.  Does anybody see an improvement?

-I still can't specify I do not want a rim joist under a particular wall (I want a beam)

-I still can't specify no rim joists ever,  and then specify rim joist under a particular wall

-In several instances I have a double rim joist under a wall,  I want a single (can't change it)

-In several instances I have a single rim joist under a wall,  I want a double (can't change it)

I just don't understand why I am having to mess with this crap.  Didn't the BETA TESTERS send in reports on this and if reports were sent in,  would they of fixed this?

Just nonsense.

We need a DSH Video. On my way home just now I check Troll Alley under the bridge and there were no rim joists either FYI

Draw a beam at that location

Draw a Joist at that location

Just Delete one of them

Copy the one that's there 1-1/2" away

You were one of the Beta Testers.....  Did you send in a report on this? :P

Just nonsense.

Draw a beam at that location

Draw a Joist at that location

Just Delete one of them

Copy the one that's there 1-1/2" away

You were one of the Beta Testers.....  Did you send in a report on this? :P

Just nonsense.

Are you two related; you sound like my kids

Are you two related; you sound like my kids

No,  not related,  I think he is goofing on me.  But it was a serious question.  You know in the beam dvx you can specify whether the beam is bearing or not,  and if it is bearing and flush,  the the joists hanging off of the beam will be auto trimmed to beam.

My questions was simply to elicit a reason why a floor joist could not be defined as bearing (and flush) and then the intersecting joists would be trimmed to the joist/beam.

As I said,  not a big deal,  a "beam" will do what I want,  but why couldn't a joist?  Did CA purposely leave out the option for a joist to NOT BE BEARING and if so why.

joist  [joist]  Show IPA
noun
any of a number of small, parallel beams of timber, steel,reinforced concrete, etc., for supporting floors, ceilings, or the like.

See,  a joist by definition is a beam,  but a series of beams.  So why can't we define them as being BEARING.

Yesterday I was looking at a dvx whereby I could specify whether I would get double or single rim joists under walls,  now I can't find that.  Anybody know where I can specify that.? It feels like I am back in the twilight zone.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...