Text Reformatting Itself

BryceEngstrom

Again, it is definitely not limited to moving from X7 to X8.  It is most definitely happening in plans I started in X8.  Just had to spend another 20 minutes completely going through a plan and fixing dozens of instances.  It was a plan I just worked on a few days prior and I can confirm now that it wasn't between updates of X8.  Will send in a problem plan as soon as it happens again.  Never had this problem using the same version before, only bringing a plan forward.  It would be a huge PITA to go through all my text defaults and switch everything over to a new font, or having to use plain text (it does seem to be limited to rich text).  

This just needs to fixed. 

Chief released an update last night. It has not addressed the text reformatting issue.

On the attached screenshot you can see "Attics without storage" wraps to the next line when I've already got Auto Height and Auto Width selected (HT. wraps to next line). But even more weird is that the end of some sentences disappear completely....see GUARDRAILS AND........the word "HANDRAILS" is missing. It's still in the text dialogue box, but it disappears from view. Not a weird wrap. It disappears COMPLETELY. I can't possibly go through an entire set of drawings and ALL my details to verify this isn't happening on a daily basis.

Back to tech support.

post-663-0-00490300-1457541784_thumb.jpg

post-663-0-25006000-1457541864_thumb.jpg

Bryce,

Just a thought. While I know you are starting the plan in X8, any chance that your blank template is actually a resurrected plan from earlier versions? (check the Time Tracker) I have had some weird results from blank plans unwittingly moved forward through versions.

That is certainly the case.  But, the text doesn't start out that way.  Only when you re-open it later.  Are we expected to completely, manually re-do all of our layersets, annosets, myriad defaults, etc. with every new version?  Every new update between versions?  Shoot me now.

• 6 months later...

Anyone figure out what is going on with the text wrapping?  When I work on a project at the office and come home to work on the same project, this happens.  This problem is getting highly irritating!  I'm trying to figure out if I need to do something different or I'm stuck with this.   If I click on the text the text unwraps until I get back to the office and it goes back.  It's almost like the text is trying to adjust for the different computers. I know the resolution is different from the office and my laptop but this is a pain.  I'm using Ariel and automatic width/height.

Debra

This has been going on for YEARS!!! I have sent stuff in to tech support, and this doesn't get fixed. In the typical case (like the attached, just this a.m.), this just looks stupid. In the worst case, like Edward's, text vanishes. I have had a long text block of specifications where a critical sentence at the end got chopped off, which was not obvious. This often happens with text blocks inserted from the library, especially if the library contains blocks from prior versions. It seems to be primarily Rich Text, usually auto-width.  Given the massive amounts of pain (not to mention liability) this is causing, I don't understand why we don't have a fix by now.

post-214-0-14634500-1474475139_thumb.jpg

This has been going on for YEARS!!! I have sent stuff in to tech support, and this doesn't get fixed. In the typical case (like the attached, just this a.m.), this just looks stupid. In the worst case, like Edward's, text vanishes. I have had a long text block of specifications, where a critical sentence at the end got chopped off, which was not obvious. This often happens with text blocks inserted from the library, especially if the library contains blocks from prior versions. It seems to be primarily Rich Text, usually auto-width.  Given the massive amounts of pain (not to mention liability) this is causing, I don't understand why we don't have a fix by now.

I agree....  however until they fix this,  doesn't it help to put in a space or two at the end of text?  I know,  should not be needed,  but this is an option until it gets fixed in the year 2026,  the year of my retirement.

• 1 year later...

So I hadn't seen this for awhile, and thought it had been fixed. But, noooo............ I just opened up a plan I had been working on earlier and get the attached. Not imported from past plan, and also set for auto width. Just saved and reopened. This has been complained about now for YEARS, what is it going to take? Yes, I'm a little grumpy about this.

Text problem.jpg

19 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

So I hadn't seen this for awhile, and thought it had been fixed. But, noooo............ I just opened up a plan I had been working on earlier and get the attached. Not imported from past plan, and also set for auto width. Just saved and reopened. This has been complained about now for YEARS, what is it going to take? Yes, I'm a little grumpy about this.

Text problem.jpg

Richard, I’m curious...did you open that plan on the same exact system you drew it with?  The reason I ask is that I see this type of thing frequently in plans from other users but almost never in my own plans.  

I’m just wondering if it’s caused by something unique to each system (CPU, GPU, OS, other hardware, software, etc.) and that if perhaps when we see this in our plans, if it’s possible we last saved them them on a different machine or at least a different configuration.  

I know, it needs to be fixed, I’m just spitballing as to what the source of the problem might be.  

32 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Richard, I’m curious...did you open that plan on the same exact system you drew it with?  The reason I ask is that I see this type of thing frequently in plan from other users but almost never in my own plans.  

Yes, it was the exact same system. I can think of only one thing that might have caused this. I had just copied a standard text block from an X2 layout to the Clipboard, then closed that layout and opened a current X10 layout and pasted the text onto the now open layout, which seemed to work fine. However, what was confusing was that text in a (completely X10) referenced plan file was what was screwed up. I then opened the layout again and found most of the Rich Text messed up on the layout itself. Cause and effect? I don't know for sure. But I will report to support.

I have had this problem as well.  It is annoying, but it actually taught me the value of unblocking all text blocks when placed in the plan.  To many blocks in the plan weighs it down significantly.  I would prefer though if we could add text to library without blocking it.