Transferring plan files between computers

Alaskan_Son

I recently bought a laptop to run Chief while at the jobsite.  Its the first time I've had more than one computer for the task.  Until recently I've always used just one PC at the office.

How do the rest of you handle transferring plan files back and forth??  The whole "Backup Plan" thing is confusing to me.  I don't understand if and/or why backing up EVERYTHING is necessary.  Also don't know what the second "Backup Plan" option does (the one that DOES NOT backup EVERYTHING.  It seems to just save the plan??

All I need to accomplish at this point is to be able to pass plans back and forth without any hitches as simply as possible.  Would always be working on one computer or the other, and never on both at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use a simple approach.  My project folder is on my desktop computer and is named exactly the same as the one on my laptop computer.  I've got a Dropbox account where I "trade" all of the project folders.  Finally, my backup software is Acronis.  It has a "Synchronization" feature that I've set up to sync the local (Be it on the desktop or the laptop) Project folders with the Dropbox.  

Now when I save a file, it automatically syncs with Dropbox which in turn syncs it with the other computer at nearly the same time.  I've been doing this for about 7 months now and have had ZERO issues.  

Thanks.

Thanks Texian,

I've considered syncing using a similar approach to what you've mentioned, however I would really prefer to do it without using the internet or any cloud based services.  Getting an internet connection isn't always an option for me either.

If you have copied your entire library to the second computer than moving files on a thumb drive is pretty seamless. The problems occure when the library is missing textures or images. I move files constantly between 3 computers with the same library. When I need to share a file with someone drafting for me I do a Backup Entire Plan and zip the directory for sharing.

If you have copied your entire library to the second computer than moving files on a thumb drive is pretty seamless. The problems occure when the library is missing textures or images. I move files constantly between 3 computers with the same library. When I need to share a file with someone drafting for me I do a Backup Entire Plan and zip the directory for sharing.

Is there a quick and easy way to copy the entire library??  I don't like the mess of creating a library for every plan (although that may only be an issue in my head with no basis in reality...not sure).  I also don't want to end up with a whole ton of duplicate items.  What I have on the laptop so far is the core content and that's about it.

I use a service called SugarSync. I sync the folder holding the plan AND my user library between all computers with CA installed. As soon as you save the plan on one computer, it syncs to the cloud. Fire up the second computer, and it syncs from the cloud. If both computers are running at the same time, the sync is almost instantaneous. Works great. Follow the link to sign up. You can get a 5GB account free. (Edit - sorry, free accounts are no longer offered...free 30 day trial is however to see if you like the service)

They also have android and iOS apps, so you can fetch files with all devices. It really is a great service. I use a 60 GB plan. Not only do I have all my necessary files synced, but I also have a cloud backup incase something happens to all my computers.

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=qqow8ehqwx3a&utm_source=website&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=referral&shareEvent=7423005

Also use SugarSync...don't rely on it for real time sync for two computers running at the same time, but for a secondary computer used at different times it works great and syncs things quick and backups up at the same time and close to real time as mentioned by Mike.

Been using it for years.

I started doing the same thing with Dropbox a few months ago. I save all my plans in the Dropbox folder. Plus, I moved my entire X6 data folder in there too. So now all my plans, libraries and autosaves/backups are shared between machines. It's been working without a hitch so far. I plan on keeping my plans in the Dropbox folder for a year, then removing them to an archive folder on the desktop so that the Dropbox folder stays at a manageable size. 

Since you don't want to use the Internet/Cloud  a USB Key or a small USB backup Drive like the WD Passports would work. Chief backups up to the My Docs folder and the software on the Passport drive automatically backs up My docs , your music email etc when you plug it in , and that way you'll also have the extra copy on the WD  Drive or USB Key as well. USB Key works fine too if you know your way around Windows Explorer ...right click on the plan file> SendTo> "Your USB-key"  pretty quick and simple.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=470

Or if you are at home you can just use your Network and grab the file off the Laptop when you get home with HomeGroup Shares or Mapped Network Drives too.

Mick

Thanks for the input guys.  I think I got it now.  Am I correct that I only really need to backup entire plan if one computer doesn't have some of the materials/textures??  Other than that, simply saving and transferring the plan file should suffice??

You are right Michael. Before Dropbox I worked from a USB drive that I wore around my neck. I now work from Dropbox. There are some that say you should never work from a drive other than the hard drive, but I have been working like this for years and have never had an issue. Make sure that your libraries are the same, or about the same, and go to work. 

And to tell you the truth, if I have a plan with a material on my desktop that I am working on, and switch to my laptop and the material isn't there, I just ignore it and move on. Once you open the plan on the desktop again, Chief will find the material and there you go.