Printing Partial Views Off Drawing Layouts

brushpark

I have set up my drawing sheet with all specification callouts on the layout for ease of organization.  I have just been asked to print off sections of the drawing to fit on 8 1/2 x 11" sheet size to scale.  Is there a way to select an area on a drawing sheet and print this to scale?  In autocad I would window around the area on the drawing sheet and print full scale.  Otherwise any thoughts on how to print each elevation on this drawing sheet full size to fit on a letter size with all specifications?

Thanks,

Tom

post-404-0-61473500-1430923597_thumb.jpg

The easiest work arounds-

IF you have a pdf program that takes snapshots AND allows you to create a blank page

THEN-create blank page(s) take snap shot(s), paste- till you have them all. The program I use allows scaling of the snapshots as well.

Then print that

OR

IF you have a pdf program that allows you to "select window" to print.

IF you don't have that I believe the trial version of Bluebeam Revu is fully functional, good for 30 days. It will do either of those things.

Else new layout-which takes longer going that small.

I believe that whichever PDF printer you are using you may be able to simply set the print dialog in Chief "to scale" and the paper size to 8 1/2" x 11".

That will automatically make the proper amount of 8 1/2" x 11" sheets in the printer. 

Actually, I think you can do this for any printer, not just PDF.

Andy.

I believe that whichever PDF printer you are using you may be able to simply set the print dialog in Chief "to scale" and the paper size to 8 1/2" x 11".

That will automatically make the proper amount of 8 1/2" x 11" sheets in the printer. 

Actually, I think you can do this for any printer, not just PDF.

Andy.

Andy, the problem is that Chief "divides" the drawing sheet (say 24" x 36") into lots of 8-1/2" x 11" sizes and you end up with a complete mess - no control over the output.

Andy, the problem is that Chief "divides" the drawing sheet (say 24" x 36") into lots of 8-1/2" x 11" sizes and you end up with a complete mess - no control over the output.

True, but I think that is what he is looking to do then just paste it all together.

Could be wrong though.

Andy.

Andy, I think the OP wants to be able to control what each 8-1/2" x 11" sheet displays; at least, as an old AutoCAD user, and given his description of using AutoCAD's windowed print mode, I THINK that's what he's after.

I have a short reprieve-got a bign out the door at 2:30 am and waiting on two sets of revisions- not that I have nothing to do but ...

Post it with a list of what views you need on letter size and I'll whip it up and post a pdf back. If it's under a dozen shouldn't take long at all.

I have a short reprieve-got a bign out the door at 2:30 am and waiting on two sets of revisions- not that I have nothing to do but ...

Post it with a list of what views you need on letter size and I'll whip it up and post a pdf back. If it's under a dozen shouldn't take long at all.

Curious - is there a reason that the suggestion I posted will not work? Genuinely curious.

If you just need to print a small section:

Zoom in to the area you want to see,

Open the print dialog.

Choose "current view", then select the paper size and orientation.

Dan, the difficulty with this method is that you have to position the view you want just right - on my system stuff in the center of the "current view" prints out to the far right, so I have to re-size the program window and futz around a whole bunch - it's a complete pain.

Nice of you to help out.

I think I'm seeing that he already has the plan sent to Layout and needs to print portions of that to 8.5 x 11. My suggestion won't work in that case but still might be easy to resend to a few new 8.5 x 11 sheets? We'll see.

Dan, the difficulty with this method is that you have to position the view you want just right - on my system stuff in the center of the "current view" prints out to the far right, so I have to re-size the program window and futz around a whole bunch - it's a complete pain.

Couldn't agree more. It is indeed a complete pain.

Curious - is there a reason that the suggestion I posted will not work? Genuinely curious.

It will work - but it won't be easy. The OP has placed his call-outs in Layout; and I suspect each of the details you see on his picture are individual layout boxes. Using your method will require a lot of re-sending and re-creating call-outs.

It will work - but it won't be easy. The OP has placed his call-outs in Layout; and I suspect each of the details you see on his picture are individual layout boxes. Using your method will require a lot of re-sending and re-creating call-outs.

Yeah I see that. Wonder what he ends up doing?

I agree, it would be nice to select an area to print similar to the emf export tool.

I agree, it would be nice to select an area to print similar to the emf export tool.

Dan,

Or...we just need to be able to drag the drawing sheet around in layout - same as we can do in plan view.

That way the printing page size is set.

The Export emf relies on drawing a marquee which could be any size - not necessarily relating to the printing page size.