Leaving X7 Back To X6

KenL-sdd

Go to solution Solved by KenL-sdd,

Perry , just a heads up , the Jumplists Mark mentioned work , but I know ,like me you use CCleaner and after running it this morning the Jumplists are all empty , so you might want to disable that in CCleaner too.

M.

• Solution

To All users:

Chief has fixed the slowness issue with the last patch.   A BIG THANK YOU!!!    

I was wrong. I used a stripped plan in X6 and the full plan in X7 for the comparison by mistake. When using the same plans the results were equal.

Doug Park was correct that the slowness in my posted video is fixed.

Staying with X7!!!

Somebody want to mark this as best answer or solved.

This last update (17.2.0.69x64) did not resolve the lag as Perry mentioned above. Also what he mentioned is exactly what I show in the video linked below. The time is approximately twice as long in X7 vs X6. See video.

I will contact support again to see what we can do to help Chief help us. Not sure what to do more than show them a video of the issue and send them the plan file used in X6 vs X7 comparison.

I understand that the issue has to do with complex patterns such as stone, brick or some roof patterns. Unfortunately or not these are the choices the homeowners want to see.

Support do you have all of the library's downloaded on your test machines? I do not know if that may have an impact but they are on my machine.

AGAIN

I am staying with X6 until the issue is resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

I would venture a guess of yes.

Yesterday I worked on a plan created under X6 and opened with X6.  It is ridiculous how much quicker X6 is on my machine, as opposed to X7.

I can't live with a recent file list of 5 and under. I know this will sound unwieldy, but I have kept the file lists in all the prior versions of chief - 60 deep to manage a couple of months of construction & questions.  All without any deleterious effects on performance until now.  I have too many plans embedded in sub-sub-sub-sub... folders.  

So I am muddling through until a patch that I pray is forthcoming.

I saw some real improvement in performance with the latest release, but it is patchy and there have been other issues, such as having to turn off Framing Labels in elevation view to keep the zooming from shuddering.

Reducing recent files did not do much for me, maybe b/c it was set to eight. I, too, am hoping another release is in the offing that will finally resolve this issue for everyone.

Try reducing recent files to 3 and see if that helps, I know a lot of us like the recent files list and use it all the time, I'm hoping a fix comes very shortly as Chief just can't leave X7 like this and call it a day.

Try reducing recent files to 3 and see if that helps, I know a lot of us like the recent files list and use it all the time, I'm hoping a fix comes very shortly as Chief just can't leave X7 like this and call it a day.

Thanks for the advice; actually I can go up to five before performance degrades.  

The recent file list is too important to me in how I work and  too time consuming to stay at that level.  I have been opening up a second drawing window and clicking between them - which oddly enough gets focus almost instantaneously. 

Agreed, Perry.

I have it set to zero for now (which is a pain), but I want eliminate any and all known factors that may be contributing to the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The 17.2 update previously fixed the performance problems that Ken was seeing.

We just released the 17.3 update that I believe will fix Perry's problem related to the recent file list. 

As far as I know, X7 should perform as good or better then X6 in almost all cases.  If you are still experiencing any performance problems in X7, you should probably contact our technical support team.

The 17.3 update will also fix a problem where people would see crashes when trying to do a save as or an export on Dell systems due to some backup software that was installed with a recent system update.  If you are still experiencing any crashes or similar problems in X7, then you should also contact tech support.

The 17.2 update previously fixed the performance problems that Ken was seeing.

We just released the 17.3 update that I believe will fix Perry's problem related to the recent file list. 

As far as I know, X7 should perform as good or better then X6 in almost all cases.  If you are still experiencing any performance problems in X7, you should probably contact our technical support team.

The 17.3 update will also fix a problem where people would see crashes when trying to do a save as or an export on Dell systems due to some backup software that was installed with a recent system update.  If you are still experiencing any crashes or similar problems in X7, then you should also contact tech support.

Are you working on the library Crashes Dermot ? it seems I am not the only one getting them.... 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5674-x7-crashes-while-inusing-library/

Did you ever contact tech support regarding this problem?

The only problem that I am aware of is the problem that Joe just reported today regarding using the recent files from the task bar.  All other reported crashes have been fixed.

Thanks Dermot and everybody involved with the 17.3 fix, computer is purring again. Glad you guys figured it out.

Ditto for me too.

I was getting pretty disillusioned with the performance of X7 - was seriously thinking of heresy.