Manually Over-Riding Dimensions?

DHerb2014

I've got a question on X6 regarding dimensions and how to over-ride what's shown on the drawing?

For example, a dimension says "36'-01/8" and you want it changed to read "36'-0"". My old way is to use a text box, fill it with white color and a white border. Set it over the top of the errant dimension and then use Text layer and call out 36'-0". This is not a great way of over-riding the dimension. In AutoCAD, you have a way of doing this very easily. With Chief X6, there must be a way to accomplish this without all the extra effort?

I've been looking a the vids and cannot figure this one out? Is this even possible to over-ride?

Best way is to move the object 1/8"

This doesn't always work

as then the next dim is off by 1/8"

I prefer to set "smallest fraction" to 1" or 1/2"

at the very end of the project

unless I think those fractions are going to matter

Lew

This doesn't always work

as then the next dim is off by 1/8"

Lew,

If the next dimension is off by 1/8", then move that object as well!

I can't see any reason why a dimension should not be accurate.

But then, working in metric, I suppose that we have it easy in that regard.

This can be a big issue on houses with angled wings or walls.  You can try all you want but you get lots of 1/16" dimensions.

What I do is get them as close as I can to cleaner dimensions.   I will do the foundation plan with  1/16 ths and then on the floor plan I clean them up a little.  Most times setting min dimension to 1/4.    (and I really dont like having 1/4" in plans...but it is a compromise)

As a habit, most of the surveyors will take a direct export of a DWG so I know the foundation points will get to them with good accuracy to be entered into their site plans and following footings.   The 1/16ths.....will work their way out from there.

prefer to keep my dims as close to live as possible

I always keep dims live. I just don't dimension anything less than 1/2" usually, its close enough for everyone involved. Framers never want to see 1/8" or lower. They just laugh at it and call us names.

I've got a question on X6 regarding dimensions and how to over-ride what's shown on the drawing?

For example, a dimension says "36'-01/8" and you want it changed to read "36'-0"". My old way is to use a text box, fill it with white color and a white border. Set it over the top of the errant dimension and then use Text layer and call out 36'-0". This is not a great way of over-riding the dimension. In AutoCAD, you have a way of doing this very easily. With Chief X6, there must be a way to accomplish this without all the extra effort?

I've been looking a the vids and cannot figure this one out? Is this even possible to over-ride?

As a home designer for the past 20+ years and a EWP designer for 4 years (where I had to work with hundreds of designers /architects plans)........I'd fire an employee who did what you're suggesting above.... :D

Jay:

well, that would be your privilege as boss

I guess you are implying there should never be fractions in a plan ?

or are you saying if there are fractions you would never "hide" them ?

two different thoughts there

If you are saying there should never be fractions in a plan

then I say that you gurus must have special ways of modeling

that us mere mortals haven't achieved yet

furthermore, on the plans I worked on the builders and framers

didn't give a rats behind about fractions and would have been annoyed

if I had left them on the plans

so I guess it all depends on who's in charge

and what their standards/needs are

Lew

I guess you are implying there should never be fractions in a plan ?

or are you saying if there are fractions you would never "hide" them ?

No, I'm saying I would never use "electronic whiteout".  You fudge a dimension you have no idea what else is fudged in the dimension string or elsewhere.  As an EWP designer I can't tell you how many drawings I had to design floor systems for that didn't close when I tried to just draw the exterior....Meaning someone (usually an Autocad designer) lied with one dimension and didn't fix it elsewhere.....When you get to the end of the drawing what do you do with all of those fractions or inches?  Cut cabinets, doors, window trim etc. in the field?

On a related side rant I used to love the architects / designers who would still draft by hand (this was back in the 00's) and would dimension to both sides of the stud and figure 2 x 4's as 4"...........Oh that was a hoot! By the time you got to the other side of the house it would be off by 3-4 inches if you didn't move every one over a 1/4" thereby rendering each dimension inaccurate.......Ahhhh the life of an EWP designer......brings back memories....most of them bad..