Layout Plan Changes

builtright3

Thanks Joe , Perry good information :)  sounds like I am in the same boat/business as Joey/Bullright ,(except for the Grandkids, congrats ! )  and need to get more organised/focused too. 

I think Joe was saying he has a separate Details Plan Perry which he links to his layouts rather than having all the details in each Plan ,which sounds like a good idea to me ,since I am not a lover of the Library and I keep seeing Users post that there Library has "disappeared" ...again !  :(

M.

Almost all of mine are in different Plan Files.

1) If you have your main project plan file and 4 other detail plan files that you are sending items to your layout file that doesn't really slow anything down does it?

2) And the second part is does the items sent from the library slow things down the same or more or less?

I don't notice any slowness as a result of how I'm doing it.  If anything, having more Plan Files makes it faster simply because I'm only editing smaller Plans.  If you open the Layout, you can use it to navigate to the Plan that's linked by double clicking the Layout Box.  Just having a Plan open doesn't effect the speed.  Speed in Chief is mainly effected by the size of the Plan that you are currently editing.

I typically always work from my layout first to get to the plan files that I need to edit.

Its not so much I don't know how things work (but still have a lot to learn) it's more of how to organize it. I think with what everyone has shared with me I am very grateful because I have a better understanding of what direction to go now to clean things up. I really like Perry's way of setting up templates and I like Joe's way of organizing details so I learned a lot from both of you and not to mention the input from others that I have not disregarded. Everyone's input is always important to the whole picture.

Thank You!!!

Thanks Joe , Perry good information :)  sounds like I am in the same boat/business as Joey/Bullright ,(except for the Grandkids, congrats ! )  and need to get more organised/focused too. 

I think Joe was saying he has a separate Details Plan Perry which he links to his layouts rather than having all the details in each Plan ,which sounds like a good idea to me ,since I am not a lover of the Library and I keep seeing Users post that there Library has "disappeared" ...again !  :(

M.

I have Carbonite, so I will never lose my lib, and can rebuild if needed but it has never happened to me luckily.

Perry,

I like your method of having linked plan, and layout templates with viewports already set up. I'm setting up your system on my computer this afternoon using a recent job for the linked plan and layout. I had not done this in the past as my layout sets vary a lot, depending on scope of work and number of stories; but with the page management in the project browser, it should be workable

Joe,

I like your method of handling details. Do you copy your detail plans to your working folder to keep everything in the same directory?

That's the cool thing about what Perry has done because you can take a drawing that is finished and make a template out of it. Just reconfigure the floor plan to a square and back away items off to the side so you can bring them back is as needed. If you want you can set up a few different variables simply by when you draw a different type of job you can save as template and do the same thing.

• 3 months later...

Bill Emery had this question for Joe that I didn't see the answer to:

Joe,
I like your method of handling details. Do you copy your detail plans to your working folder to keep everything in the same directory?

Am I correct in assuming that your details plans are linked to your layout template plan?  If so, do they stay linked with each new project or do you need to go back and relink them again?

Bill Emery had this question for Joe that I didn't see the answer to:

Joe,

Am I correct in assuming that your details plans are linked to your layout template plan?  If so, do they stay linked with each new project or do you need to go back and relink them again?

Curt,

1st question:  No, all the Detail Plans are in a single Folder.  There are individual CAD Detail windows within each Plan and those are linked to the Layout.

2nd question:  Yes, most of them are already linked to the my Layout Template.  When I start a new Project I set up everything in a set of Folders.  That's where I save the Plan and Layout.  The details stay linked since Layout Box Links are full path in Chief.  As long as I don't move the Detail Plans everything is fine.

BTW, I have asked CA to provide a full project setup with automatic folder structure and relink for the project.  The idea being that while my Plan Template and Layout Template are already linked, I need to have the Layout Box links updated to the new Plan / Layout paths, and I want that to be automatic if they are in the same folder.

Thanks Joe .... this is STILL a work-in-progress for me like many others and this sort of information is very important to me.  I think I like your idea if CA is able to provide it to us.  Appreciate your, Perry, Scott, etc. etc.'s input on procedures used.  Very helpful.

I use Joes Method of all details in their own plan file which is linked to the template for the main ones.

I keep my details in their own folder where all layouts can access them from. If I need a slightly different detail I can either just relink to a different plan or open do a save as and modify as required and rthen relink.