roofs

decorators3

Hi

I'm attaching a roof plan with the PDF elevations.  I have built the home ok no problem - windows doors etc. but not sure how to read this roof  schematic ..  I have started it (Gables are in place - the rest is a mess - wondering if I should start again and manually build the gable roofs first and then join to hips . I had the program build the roof and tried to redefine buy got pretty messy

any advice is welcome 

again thanks in advance

House Plan (1).pdf

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

Post the Chief plan.  Looks like the plans are done, job al ready for permit and build.  Are you copying this for practice?

This is not practice.   Clients send me their house plans so I can build it and show them the various siding and roofing options colors materials etc with so many options for people its sometimes hard to make a decision without seeing it on their your home then they can order the siding etc knowing how its going to look .

I have a clot of client that do this.  the architect does the design and I create the look. 

its just that this roof has me stumped

I did a screencap of the roof plan view, pasted it into a new file, drew the perimeter walls, set all the needed roof directives in the needed walls, letting it autoroof as I went along, then in 3D (vector view, no color, toggle patterns OFF) edited the roof planes at rear (delete two and edit the one that has the eave line per plan) and here it is.  The shed dormer needs to be done manually as auto-roof does not do dormers.

1040746914_Screenshot2024-10-18104408.thumb.png.8c2168dc7f989e471633006bde4cdc0e.png

What's the problem?

And if any auto-roofing gurus are here in the room, tell us how you get this one to autobuild at the rear plane.  Here is what the wall-jog at rear produces in auto roof.

1270338351_Screenshot2024-10-18105246.thumb.png.dddf0295983631a5ff70ebe7f440ff94.png   

There is a wall jog of about two feet.  The architect plan extends the overhang at the longer segment so there is one common roof plane as shown above.  What do you do in Chief to make that roof plane generate as one (as edited by me) and not produce the two planes that I deleted.

this is not for practice..I am not an architect I am a designer,, I do not build houses but can do floor plans and design simple houses.  Mostly I create 3D models and rendering service from clients house plans and assist them with adding various materials and colors to the exteriors and interiors so they can see the concept idea before they order products.  Been doing this for many years but every now and then a roof comes along that I  just cant get it,  maybe its a blind spot or my brain -  not  sure - some of you are probably laughing at this and I don't blame you ha ha

Anyway I've loaded the plan with my errors left in so you can see I tried.. If some one can assist that's great I am willing to pay --

Thanks in advance for this forum and its help

Levinasample of messy roof.plan

sample of messy roof.plan

Edited by decorators3
cant seem to upload it

9 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

And if any auto-roofing gurus are here in the room, tell us how you get this one to autobuild at the rear plane

change the eave to 54"

image.thumb.png.31b41759d7bf43c93bf8f54412e5df27.png

and build roof with same height eaves:

image.thumb.png.bd1dbad257659e8a85f4c38ae2697265.png

autobuilt:

image.thumb.png.2808dddcb8100492c2c8609bd83a62c1.png

but it wont work on the right wall. it will only work to 50". I've seen this before, not sure why.

50"

image.thumb.png.8f418eee8d885fdda3a008fc95a369a1.png

54"

image.thumb.png.dbaac28264eca5501503e7f85f072c82.png

its like oh so close..but just will not do it

and rene showed a video on the semi autonomous way last month using baseline polyline. Auto built can be left on, and you only have to move the polyline instead of editing the roof plane. 

Attached is shown for this one where I took Gene's plan, turned on auto rebuild and built the roof planes (in order to delete the edited planes), then created a baseline polyline, then edited the two segments. CA then builds the roof to match

Ackshully ;), @glennw it turns out to be easier than that.  Just extend the adjacent walls across their nearby bump-ins, autobuild the roof, and then unclick autobuild in the build roof dialog, and drag those wall ends back to where they were.  You end up with a big chunk of the baseline out there in the bump-in where the wall was, but its a couple of quick clicks and drags to nip them back where they belong.