Raised Concrete Deck

Rosco2017

How would you build a raised concrete deck? The builder I work for uses this instead of a regular deck. I'm trying to figure out the best way to build this. How would you build this? I was going to use the slab tools, but if there was an easier way, I'm all ears!

post-58-0-71448400-1426295122_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-25307700-1426295128_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-74176000-1426295156_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-37794000-1426295160_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-96764700-1426295172_thumb.jpg

Just make the "deck"  planks 3" thick concrete material with no gap (0") and make the planks 1/2 the width of the deck or wider so you don't see joints , it works but maybe someone can point out the downfalls if any of my method?

post-315-0-60471100-1426300251_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Interesting application. Did you have to do anything special with the construction or concrete mix to address potential expansion/contraction issues or upheaving through freeze/thaw cycles?

Could be a bit cool on the feet in the morning but the mass could be a nice heat retainer in the evening.

Graham

Not sure, I haven't done this before, but I have done some underground rooms with concrete ceilings, lots of rebar and waterproofing. I guess you could put  a heat source in the slab for snow, like they do with driveways now in the mountains near me. .

Could be on the edge in creating a new product!!!

A concrete precast plank or module, prewired say 1" below the surface, foam insulation below to keep the heat on the desired surface. Install where desired, on-grade or above, Connect together and enjoy the warmth and snow melting, decks, walkways, balconies.... Not dissimilar to a prewired gypsumboard (drywall) panel for radiant heat ceiling applications in electrically heated homes (if they are still around).

Graham

In the attached plan I've used a roof plane drawn at the basement level to represent the concrete deck to allow the framing and the concrete to slope and 1/4" to the foot. The deck room has no floor, so that floor framing will not generate and the rafters can take the place of level floor joists.

The framing isn't perfect, but I've left it just the way Chief generates it; this could easily be corrected.

It takes a bit of effort to get the railings to generate above the roof plane.

post-62-0-90384800-1426386936_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-85870400-1426386967_thumb.jpg

roof deck.plan

Thanks Larry,

I've been following your thread on the structure tab of the room DBX.  It's frustrating to run into the limitations of what Chief is able to do without some kind of work around.  This is a similar situation where I just want to generate a railing over a roof, and there is just no easy way.

It reminds me of the Joke:  How do you get an elephant out of a Safeway shopping cart?

The answer is you take the S out of Safe, and the F out of Way.

But after you think about it you come to the conclusion that,  "There is no "F" in Way".

I think using Chief is sometimes like trying to get that elephant out of the cart.

Thanks Larry,

I've been following your thread on the structure tab of the room DBX.  It's frustrating to run into the limitations of what Chief is able to do without some kind of work around.  This is a similar situation where I just want to generate a railing over a roof, and there is just no easy way.

It reminds me of the Joke:  How do you get an elephant out of a Safeway shopping cart?

The answer is you take the S out of Safe, and the F out of Way.

But after you think about it you come to the conclusion that,  "There is no "F" in Way".

I think using Chief is sometimes like trying to get that elephant out of the cart.

Funny, and frustrating at the same time.