X7 Tools

Designer1

Does anyone know why chief changed the icons for a lot of the toolbars in X7?  In my opinion I feel the X6 tool icons seemed superior more up to date and detailed then X7.  For instance the cabinet icons, the wrenches, the wall tools, camera icons.   Im wondering if they looked that much better in X6 why they would take it down a notch?  Was it for a specific reason?  Would love to hear from chief software designers!

I believe you will find this to be purely a graphic design choice. This more open, simplified, flat look is the way things are going both in software and website user interface (UI) design. This trend for websites started around 8 years ago with the introduction of the HTML5 markup language and later reinforced by Microsoft with the Metro styled Windows 8 about 2 years ago.

Personally I prefer this style from an overall perspective. Software and websites are becoming cleaner looking with a more visually open look. This allows the content to be the primary focus, which is really the way it should be.

Graham

Actually I preferred the old icons too , new ones look like MAC ones converted to PC , at least to me , but I'm slowly getting used to them , they seem a "bit" better in X7 Full actually, but that maybe just me getting used to them?.

I agree that the icons look like abbreviated versions of the X6 symbol icons, and are much more 'cartoonish'. I put in these comments in Beta and they said something to the effect they will look at it. I do not like them, but have gotten use to them. There are some that look so close to one another that a more delineated and sharper image would be helpful as I zoom around my screen, but the increased functionality of X7 is so worthwhile that I have to congratulate Chief in the latest release, thanks. 

I obviously like the updates with every new version, I was just thinking if it were my first version of chief and looked back at X6 I would have felt the improvements with icons on the dashboard would have been a move backward as they appear less sophisticated and developed then previous version.  If theres a good functionality reason why they changed that's fine, I just thought they look a bit less in depth and professional looking.  Since were all in one way or another designers creating homes etc its good we have an eye for what looks good or not.  My hope is that X8 will revive the dashboard look maybe with new icons like they had but more finished looking.