X15 Skylights for Solar Panels

brookesdesign

The skylights in X15 are great and I've been using them as solar panels as they show up dimensionally correct on the roof but they cut the hole in the roof.  Is there a way to turn off the skylight from cutting the hole in the roof when using them as solar panels?

9 minutes ago, brookesdesign said:

The skylights in X15 are great and I've been using them as solar panels as they show up dimensionally correct on the roof but they cut the hole in the roof.  Is there a way to turn off the skylight from cutting the hole in the roof when using them as solar panels?

Any reason not to use the actual solar panel symbols in the bonus catalog instead?

1 hour ago, brookesdesign said:

Is this auto roofs? I haven't tried it, not at my computer so i can't answer your question but when working in manual roofs you should be able to delete the hole...

I typically do manual roofs and I don't see a separate roof opening, just the skylight.  I can turn off shafts and holes in the ceiling but I'm stuck with the hole in the roof.  Its not a huge deal but in my sections you see the hole.  Seems like this would this would be an easy option for Chief to add being solar panels are being specified more and more (at least here in Washington State).

Sky-lites make solar panel installations a breeze.

No ceiling hole. No worries. - No need for adjusting to the roof slopes either.

The placement of a sky-lite (without a ceiling hole) matches the roof pitch exactly. 

Snip20230816_18.png

Untitled 1.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Sky-lites make solar panel installations a breeze.

No ceiling hole. No worries.

No need for adjusting to the roof slopes either. The placement matches the roof exactly. 

Snip20230816_18.png

Untitled 1.jpg

I agree the skylights work great for solar panels but my question is how to stop them from cutting a hole in the roof.  You can turn off the hole in the ceiling but are still left with a hole in the roof.

It’s a small trade-off.

Cad tools can represent the roof rafters, or one can manually frame them (by copy/replicate) after the initial auto build.

Is this auto roofs? I haven't tried it, not at my computer so i can't answer your question but when working in manual roofs you should be able to delete the hole..

This here may be the very best solution if it works. Tomorrow. Test run. 

Ok. So the roof openings for sky-lites can't be turned off. 

The solution (to avoiding framed openings) seems to involve converting one of the solar "Sky-kites" into a symbol. 

Copy replicate. Done.

The rafters will frame without skipping a beat.

...if there's an option for "no ceiling hole" -  "no roof opening" would be a good one too.

Instant solar panel feature. 

Snip20230817_22.png

2 hours ago, MPDesign said:

I just tested the solar panel in the bonus MEP No.1 Energy Sources. It works as it should.

It follows the pitch, the size in plan view and cross section are correct. 

solar panel plan view.png

This is not correct.  In Plan View the 66" dimension should be 46.662".  It's the projected size that is needed.  Otherwise panels will overlap in Plan View.

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

This is not correct.

It is correct in that the symbol attaches flush to the roof and maintains its correct sizing. Super simple to place and resize.

It is not correct in Plan, however, as you pointed out. But that's the CAD Block's fault, not the symbol.

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

In Plan View the 66" dimension should be 46.662".  It's the projected size that is needed.  Otherwise panels will overlap in Plan View.

Edit CAD Block is a great tool

image.thumb.png.05cf482892915f88542a70bf8372629a.png

I'm not a fan of she skylight cutting away my roof either, but since it does it automatically for you the Skylight tool can be super handy to math the projected size for you so you know what size to make the CAD Block

image.thumb.png.2b35ed8540d82013b1c3fa3ba7f46af4.png

In reality, Chief should automatically adjust the CAD Block.  We shouldn't have to deal with it.  The 3D is automatically rotated to the correct angle.  If we manually do that then "Rebuild 2D Block" will adjust the CAD Block.  

CA just needs to make it work.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...