Change hinge side on custom door without reversing the whole door

MN_JohnH

55 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Try copy/reflecting the door and making two different versions?

image.thumb.png.73dfbd31f59d60383f6440ad5958a230.png

But I don't want the door reflected.
I want it exactly how it is with the window to the one side and my sketch on the inside.
I just thought the would be an easy way to change the door swing but leave the rest of the door exactly how it is.
Thanks, I will keep playing with it.

5 minutes ago, MN_JohnH said:

I just thought the would be an easy way to change the door swing but leave the rest of the door exactly how it is.

Well, if Change Opening/Hinge is essentially just doing a Reflect, then if you flipped the symbol the wrong way, then Change Hinge should flip it back the right way, right?

image.thumb.png.c317ea1a090c36b3e745966156ca4237.png

4 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Well, if Change Opening/Hinge is essentially just doing a Reflect, then if you flipped the symbol the wrong way, then Change Hinge should flip it back the right way, right?

image.thumb.png.c317ea1a090c36b3e745966156ca4237.png

You would think so.
I tried it and it didn't work.
I think I will start over and build the door the other way and see how it turn out.
Like I said, I was just hoping for a simpler solution.
I will keep working on it.

Thanks

Because of how Change Opening/Hinge works, I don't think there is an easier way.

I guess I don't get why it didnt work though, with two door panels in either direction you should be able to apply and flip them to whatever orientation you need

image.thumb.png.95094515216794ba449370bae31f0152.png

17 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

In library select the door symbol, duplicate. Open the duplicate to the 3D tab, change name I used "Door Z".

Rotate along the z axis 180 degrees. You now have a reversed symbol. 
After placing in plan open object, at bottom of general tab, options reverse interior/exterior.

IF you need the texture to reverse then make a second texture. First mirror you image in a photo program, bring it in and make new texture.

These were done that way

image.thumb.png.ad4ce68e22698c1c64230a64419522f1.png

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Rotate along the z axis 180 degrees. You now have a reversed symbol. 
After placing in plan open object, at bottom of general tab, options reverse interior/exterior.

IF you need the texture to reverse then make a second texture. First mirror you image in a photo program, bring it in and make new texture.

Hypothetically (don't have the time to test this at the moment) couldn't we skip all of these steps and just use the "reflect geometry" selection in the 3d tab of the new symbol?  Seems like it would do everything you wanted automatically...

43 minutes ago, rgardner said:

couldn't we skip all of these steps and just use the "reflect geometry" selection in the 3d

Sure can - save one door, copy it, reflect one.

Bottom line from the start though is you need two door symbols any way you swing it.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

(don't have the time to test this at the moment) couldn't we skip all of these steps and just use the "reflect geometry"

I did try that first prior to posting. This is what you get

image.thumb.png.2b5f3b5b04e4ce571a1c6bb1fdfaad28.png

Maybe find you can find the time.... I could be wrong. Does not save any steps either.

I appreciate all the help again. I know there is a way to get it right but every time I try reversing the door and or the drawing or whatever I get the tall window on the other side which is not what I want.
Anyway, it's not big deal, I can just switch it to a fixed door for the rendering and then there won't be a knob and that will be fine.
Something like this can sure kill a lot of time.
I am over it now. I will move on.

Thanks again for the help, we can put this to rest.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:55 PM, MN_JohnH said:

I used a hand sketched drawing for the materials on one side.

Your plans/uploads here don't include your "material sketch" so I can't try it myself  but did you try flipping the "image" ( reflect vertically) in any Image editing Program? ( eg Paint ) and save it with a different name and then reloading it into the "Material" on the Texture Tab? 

M.

In a distributor door shop, where door slabs are joined to frames and sills, it's a process called prehanging, and doors that are asymmetrical in design and which have an interior and exterior face, each different, are bought as "handed" slabs.

This is what you have going on.  You need two door symbols in Chief for this.  One right, one left.

Show us your result when solving this with two symbols.

OK I finally got it by making a symbol that looks half backwards and then somehow when I inserted it into my plan it worked out.
When I started, I built the door the normal way and then created a material stretch to fit and applied it to a slab that was the same size as my door and just had it stick out slightly past the door on the one side so that you only see the wood door on the outside and my drawing on the inside. I had two reversed versions of the drawing and was trying it both ways on reversed slabs etc. Every different option. The plan here called "the ones I was trying" are only the last three versions, I had a lot more different ways I was reflecting things and getting them to line up.
The ones I had looking right on the symbol were backwards or had some other issue when I inserted them into the plan so I decided to try saving the symbol as a version that isn't "right" and then that one worked. That is the plan marked "the one that worked", you can see it, (assuming you are interested).
Anyway, I just wanted to say I made it happen and I appreciate all the comments.

I build custom doors occasionally for homes that I design and build and that is what this is for, I just wanted to be able to insert it in the plan the way I wanted it to look.
I am familiar with terms like "pre-hang" and Left and right "handing", (I have been building doors for over 30 years).
It was just getting it to work in CA on this particular one that was beating me up a little bit.

Thanks again everyone.

sample.plan The ones I was trying.plan This is the one that works.plan