There is a dashed line about 6" from an exterior wall that I cannot select or delete

JustinChase

I'm not sure how it got there, but it seems to be affecting the ceiling plane. When I create a 3D view, the flat ceiling shows slightly pitched from the exterior wall to this line.  I cannot select the dashed line, it's not a hidden or invisible wall.  It only shows in one room.  I've tried turning off every item in the active layer display options, and it won't go away.

how do I figure out what it is and eliminate it?

A screen shot would be helpful but that sounds a lot like a "Ceiling Break Line" which have their own layer "Ceiling Break Lines".

You can turn them off but before you do that you may want to raise your roof plane and check your roof structure thickness to avoid infiltration into the room unless that is the look you are after.

• Upvote 1

I've narrowed it down to Walls, Beams.  There are several in my plan, but I only see them on floor 1, not on floors 0 or 2.  I cannot select them or eliminate them and I have no idea how they got there.  At least 1 is causing issues with the ceiling, and I'd really like to delete these lines and hopefully fix the ceiling(s).

1 minute ago, JustinChase said:

At least 1 is causing issues with the ceiling, and I'd really like to delete these lines and hopefully fix the ceiling(s).

True you can not select or delete them but they have their own layer so you can turn them off.  They do not cause the issue, they are there to indicate that there is an issue that you need to be aware of and may need to fix.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Did you try turning off the Walls, Beams layer ?

I can turn it off, but the ceiling issue remains

I can see it also in one of the bedrooms, in the top left of the plan, which is another of the dashed lines in my screenshots above.

ceiling issue bedroom.jpg

So not to restate the obvious but really looks like: 

13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

A screen shot would be helpful but that sounds a lot like a "Ceiling Break Line" which have their own layer "Ceiling Break Lines".

You can turn them off but before you do that you may want to raise your roof plane and check your roof structure thickness to avoid infiltration into the room unless that is the look you are after.

2 minutes ago, JustinChase said:
4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Did you try turning off the Walls, Beams layer ?

I can turn it off, but the ceiling issue remains

Did it make any difference to your plan view as posted above ?

Just now, Chopsaw said:

Did it make any difference to your plan view as posted above ?

yes, if i turn it off in the plan view, it disappears from the plan, but it still affects the ceiling as my screenshots show.  I don't care about the dashed line in the plan, per se, I care that it is affecting the ceiling, and I assume will affect the framing plan and material take off, so I really want to find out how it got there and eliminate it.  i don't need a beam here, so making it go away is what I'm really looking for.  Perhaps I need to make a new post for this, since this post was really to identify the issue, which I have now done.

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

You keep asking the same question but I have run out of different ways to answer it.    Ceiling Break Lines....   Your roof is too low !

I just saw this post.  How is my roof too low, and more importantly, how do I raise it?

FYI, this is the first and only "answer" I've seen, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to berate me about it.  I'm just asking for help and trying to provide information to facilitate that help.

Sorry I "keep asking the same question".  I only asked once, then provided screenshots to try to explain.

Those are ceiling break lines, find that layer and turn them off. They get messed up by either lowering a roof over a higher ceiling or raising a room height with a fixed roof height. And for some (stupid?) reason this is the single item you cannot click on, find its layer then turn it off. I remember turning off and on many many different layers until I learned that those dashed lines were 'ceiling break lines'. There's absolutely no way to know this following Chief's traditional paradigm of clicking on an object and learning its layer, then turn that layer off. Never understood why this single item CANNOT be selected and turned off in plan view - and oh yeah, it's been this way for at least 15 years.

I wonder what happens if you select the "Walls, Beams" layer and then click on the "Reset Layer Names" button?

My guess is that you started this plan in a very old version of Chief.  We used to have a system layer called "Walls, Beams" but that was renamed "Ceiling Break Lines" a long time ago. 

So the ceiling break line is indicating that your ceiling height is higher than the bottom of the roof plane.  This is probably the same reason that you are seeing the bottom of the roof plane in your camera view.  You can probably solve your problem by either raising your roof or lowering your ceiling, depending on what makes sense in your model.

If you want more help, you should probably post the plan or contact tech support.

• Upvote 1

And for some (stupid?) reason this is the single item you cannot click on, find its layer then turn it off. I remember turning off and on many many different layers until I learned that those dashed lines were 'ceiling break lines'. There's absolutely no way to know this following Chief's traditional paradigm of clicking on an object and learning its layer, then turn that layer off. Never understood why this single item CANNOT be selected and turned off in plan view - and oh yeah, it's been this way for at least 15 years.

It's actually pretty simple.  You can't edit ceiling break lines.  We don't let you select things you can't edit.  We have a number of other layers that allow you to control how things display that you can't select and edit.

Just a quick tip:

If you ever have something displayed and you're not sure what it is or which layer is controlling its display, you can create a CAD Detail From View.  Then, in that newly created CAD Detail, you can select the desired line and see which layer its on. 

other tip, create a cross section perpedicular to the celing break line. you will then see the problem (turn all layers on in the x section). could be old rafter tail coming down or some other framing. I've seen this situation where I create a roof, and then move the walls (if auto rebuild roofs is off)

At everyone here, he is not asking for help with the ceiling break lines, as would be a normal assumption, he is in need of advice on how to properly build his roof as the roof planes he created are not properly built.

1 hour ago, JustinChase said:

I just saw this post.  How is my roof too low, and more importantly, how do I raise it?

FYI, this is the first and only "answer" I've seen, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to berate me about it.  I'm just asking for help and trying to provide information to facilitate that help.

Best option is to always post a plan file so we can access and assess. 
No beratement, your post would indicate to us that your challenges were graphical in nature and assuming that you knew how to properly construct a roof. Not an issue, roofs can be very challenging. Have you watched some of the Chief provided videos for roof generation?
Can you please post your plan file.

You could either change the default ceiling height on your plan (and lower it)... which will fix the way the rafters intrude into the room, and then the splay disappears.  

Or ...take a 3d view of the model, click on every roof (open the dialogue box) and raise them all - by plugging in a greater input on the z axis. It looks like a 2 to 2-1/2" offset.  The rafter depth is affecting how the roof is "birds-mouthing" over the top plate.  It's an easy fix... but definitely frustrating when learning.

Hang in there... it'll work out. ...and as an FYI, you'll probably get a request in the future about posting computer specs. etc. in your signature.  There are many good people here who like to help. Invariably the hardware spec.s as well as which version allows them some perspective in being able to provide a solution. 

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

It's actually pretty simple.  You can't edit ceiling break lines.  We don't let you select things you can't edit.  We have a number of other layers that allow you to control how things display that you can't select and edit.

But as a user it is not an unreasonable expectation that items shown in plan view might be selectable and its layer at least viewed, understood, or turned on/off. As a programmer perhaps not, but as a user that consistency is important lest it be confusing to myself, the OP of this thread, and the other posts asking the same thing over the years.

Hopefully the OP sticks around or returns to take advantage of the great help here.