X6 Locking Up

HamlinBC

Ok...I have a post in to Tech. Support, and Leanne is patiently dealing with me.

I'm just curious if anyone else has been having totally random lockups with X6.

By totally random I mean it happens on all of the computers at our store (mine is the most current with a 3.4ghz i7, 32gb of RAM, and nVidia Quadro

2000).  Not all of the stations are this supped up, but they all meet or exceed the minimum system requirements.

Also, it happens at completely random times.  If you go to print, it'll lockup, if you go to open a new plan, it'll lockup, if you are working and want to draw a

wall or window or door or CAD, it'll lockup.  It's not on every plan, and it's not all the time.  Sometimes I'll be working on a plan, and it works great!...I'll go

to open it the next day to print or make changes, and it locks up.

Leanne suggests that it might be due to the fact that we're working off servers...but we've been working off servers for as long as I've been here (7

years).  It's very hard, and problematic for 10 users (8 project managers and 2 drafters) to copy a file down to the local harddrive, make changes

and re-copy it back to the server.

Is anyone else having issues?...

Yup... happened a few times for no apparent reason - loaded the update last night and haven't had any problems so far. I am not on a server and have more computer  grunt than I know what to do with. 

I've had problems with crashes too in X6. The first time it happened I didn't realize I lost detailing on some section views until after had the plans printed and submitted them to the city.

I'm sure I need not explain my displeasure with that situation.

I'm in the same boat as Scott, I quit CA every 2 or 3 hours as a preemptive measure which has helped limit the number of crashes. That being said, X6 locked up on me this morning for the first time since I downloaded it 3 months ago. I've had several crashes but this is the first lock up. I downloaded the update yesterday so that apparently did me no good.

And this is an email I received this morning from a user:

I was in the  file pulldown this morning heading down the list to print, and the program locked up………

I don't know if he's installed the latest update or not...

I assume you have done basic hardware troubleshooting as follows:

1) Check hard disk for errors and fix as appropriate.

2) Check for malware.

3) Check your network for problems.

4) Download a fresh copy of Chief and install it. If the file was corrupt and you installed the same download on multiple systems that could be the cause.

The file open dialog is different in X6 on Windows. It uses the more Modern file open dialog. There is a known problem in Windows where this dialog can be very slow under a number of circumstances including issues opening networked locations. This can appear to hang for awhile when opening the dialog, but should eventually become responsive.

The hang opening the print dialog may be due to a somewhat obscure problem that was fixed in the latest update.

The Quadro 2000 is actually a pretty slow card by today's standards. Look here for comparison of performance.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Hangs sometimes are just the computer being very slow and may come back after some period of time. Normally these are very easy to reproduce with the right plan if they are indeed a problem with Chief. Unfortunately, if we can't reproduce it here that tends to point to your hardware as the problem. Multiple machines on the same network with similar problems could be the result of a network problem, malware, or some other application that interferes with Chief that is installed on all the machines.

Hangs at random times could also be due to internet issues. We see this occasionally. In theory this can be eliminated as a cause by unplugging your internet and seeing if the problem persists.

These are sometimes tough problems to track down because there can be multiple independent causes.

If there is a problem with Chief then we want to track it down.

• Upvote 1

Doug,

The thing that is the most "alarming" is that we didn't have a single issue with X5.  In fact, it ran the best out of any of the Chief's to date (my opinion).

As soon as we installed X6, we started having lockup issues...

That's the only reason why I don't think it's our end...but I've been wrong before...once :)

2nd that,  No Problem whatsoever with X5,  had just as many windows/3d views as ever with X5 and now since X6 chronic crashes i've tried to limit open windows shut down windows and it just sometimes makes for a little less efficient workflow.  I don't want to have to baby X6 and i don't think i have a computer problem and stay really on top of my settings/optimizations

The other weird thing is that it's completely and totally random in every way.

Users, computers, times, plans, what's being done in the program, etc...

I know that makes it hard to troubleshoot, but I don't know what else to say.  It's just kind of what's happening.

I will say that with the newest update I've had fewer lockups, but I'm still getting random reports from users.

I'll keep you posted with what's going on...

I also think X6 has a problem as X5 works with no problems..  I started a new plan today and went back to X5.  I must say though that the other plans I have problems with were done in X5 and then additions were made in X6.  Basically new projects for past customers.

I don't think I have a problem with the hardware on my end.  but what do I know? i'm just a nail-banging contractor with empty budweiser cans rolling around my dog in the back of my truck....

I was also thinking that it could be something related to working on X5 plans that are now resaved in X6.   I have yet to use a clean new plan created on X6 for any legnth of time to see if crashes don't occur in that scenario.

EDIT: I've also changed auto-archiving from daily to hourly at the suggestion of chief tek.  and switched from every 5 minutes to every 4 minutes.

The saga continues...

A user just sent me the attached picture.  He had it lock up while trying to export a .dwg to send to truss quotes.

When he closes Chief, and reopens the same plan, and does the same operation, it works fine.

post-237-0-06989700-1394721112_thumb.png

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 version of Chief?

I'm not aware of any known crashes exporting to DWG. It is possible that there is a problem there. If you can get the plan that crashed doing the export to our support team we might be able to reproduce the problem internally.

Running out of memory, especially if you are running the 32 bit version, would be a likely source of crashes.

I tried doing multiple DWG exports of the floor plan you posted using the latest update. I had no issues.

My sense is that there is something about your network or systems that is precipitating the problems. Whether it is a Chief problem or not is the question. Keep working with our support team to try to figure out the problem.

Did you do the basic diagnostic work on your systems?

Malware could infect all of your networked systems and could explain random crashes.

no lockups but today the "diplay option" dialogue kept reapearing for no reason and would not close when Xd out ... real stange ? -  have the new upgrade

also having toolbar problems never experienced in X5, moving from one session to another with new columns appearing ...

edit:

- also when measuring to roof plane the measurment used markers rather than snap to the plane and could not be used to adjust roof overhang.

- also the poly solid in floor plan was a different length when viewed with orthgraphic overview - rather than headering the porch in plan view they either were not conected or extended beyond the porch .... ?

glad this day is about over ....

Doug,

Thanks for helping look into this matter for us.

The weird thing is that X5 didn't have a single glitch...now with X6, we have these problems.

This is the main reason why I haven't diagnosed our system (or asked our IT company to)...

It still could be hardware.

For exampele, X5 didn't ask as much from the graphic drivers. We are attempting to get more out of the graphics with X6 and have seen some older video drivers fail. They work fine in X5 because we don't use some of the newer capabilities.

I'm not suggesting that your issue must be graphics just that it might be and it does make sense that X5 might work well and X6 does not. There may be something else at play as well but updating graphic drivers had helped others.

Still what you describe does not on the surface appear to be video related.

One note for clarity of others posting on this thread: crashes on MAC appear to have different root causes than on Windows so please let us know what OS you are using. 

Also, we're contemplating getting a GTX 780 Ti to try out.

We've been Quadro users since way back in version...I don't know...single digits.

The plus side is...if we don't like it, I'll just buy it for my own personal computer :D