X6 Locking Up

HamlinBC

Also, we're contemplating getting a GTX 780 Ti to try out.

We've been Quadro users since way back in version...I don't know...single digits.

The plus side is...if we don't like it, I'll just buy it for my own personal computer :D

I'm using a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Cool 3GB GDDR5 video card, no problems with CA locking up.  See additional computer specs in my signature....

Thanks Bill...

If we decide to move towards gaming video cards, I'll have to research a good middle of the road card to put into our PC's that don't do heavy drafting.

At home I have a 580 Ti, and it seems pretty nice.  Maybe something like that will work for them...

My only concern is the size and power required to run the 780 Ti...it's a beast...in all aspects.

Thanks Bill...

If we decide to move towards gaming video cards, I'll have to research a good middle of the road card to put into our PC's that don't do heavy drafting.

At home I have a 580 Ti, and it seems pretty nice.  Maybe something like that will work for them...

My only concern is the size and power required to run the 780 Ti...it's a beast...in all aspects.

It would seem that CA works better with "gaming video cards" especially NVidia cards.

I have an 'Ultra' modular 850 Watt power supply I purchased from Tiger Direct.  It comes with a multitude of cables that will simplify hooking up any of your requirements (and look good too boot!)

I'll be damned if I can find it on their site right now, but it is indeed a cool alternative in power supplies, a custom cable is provided for all your power needs now and future... I have about twenty cables left after building my computer and stored neatly in storage bags supplied by the manufacturer and ready for future use...

Bill,

I'm very familiar with building computers, I've built all of my own computers at home.

I was more or less hoping to use what I have existing on my work computer.  I'll have to dig and see what size PS it has...

I think the one I got at home is a Rosewill 1000w.  I wanted something I wouldn't have to buy new for a looooong time.  It's worked great so far.

The reason we've always used Quadros is because way back in the single digit versions of Chief we asked them what would be recommended, and that's what they told us.  We

have been reluctant to switch...I don't know why...just have been.

Back on track though...I personally had one random lockup last Friday when I just clicked on the "File" button.  I don't even remember what I was doing.

Jonathan/Doug

Same problem here even after upgrade of CA & video driver......usually happens around an undo. I have had this problem in older versions with imported cad details/blocks but it happened yesterday with a small clean plan. I'll make sure I log when the issue arises next time. Same as others, X5 was no problem.  

way back CA did recommend the Quadro cards but for a short period

then they stated they offered no benefit in relation to their cost

if you have CAD software then the Quadro cards may offer a benefit to match their cost

I almost bought one back then but delayed and then CA changed their recommendation

Lew

I am having a problem with my system crashing. Ever since I have upgraded to X6 the program crashes my system numerous times. I have tried closing all additional programs and running only CA-X6 and it still crashes. It does seem to be during the same instances of either during a 3d overview or scrolling in and out with my cursor.  Obviously there is a problem with X-6 if I am not the only one having an issues as well.

If you locked up navigating in the file open dialog, it is almost certainly something wrong with your system. The dialog is almost entirely controlled by the OS. We have seen cases where it responds very slowly, but that is probably also a problem with your OS or network.

This points to the network responding very slowly, a disk problem, malware, or some other more obscure OS issue. Check your drive for errors, check for malware, have your IT guy check out your network.

If nothing else unplug your network cables and plug them back in. That can help if the cable isn't well seated.

You may also have a bad cable somewhere that has a spotty connection. If multiple people on your network are experiencing similar problems then start by replacing the cable between your server(s) and your router. If only one person is having a problem then replace their cable. I've had many commercially made cables fail over the years.

Another possibility is your router. I have had routers fail as well. Power outages often precipitate failures of network hardware. I had one awhile back that took out both my DSL modem and wireless router in a way that made them fail only occasionally at first and then more persistently until I finally diagnosed the problem and replaced the hardware. Even then the router I replaced failed and I had to get the vendor to replace it.

If it is a network issue you should be able to run disconnected from the network for awhile. If the problem persists then there is a problem that isn't a network problem.

Also be aware that you may have multiple issues so fixing one problem may help but not fix all your issues.

Hmmm...ok.

We don't have any issues with any of our other programs, but if you insist...

I have beat this bandwagon before (it was along time ago), all other programs work fine.... except CA.  Logic would dictate that CA is the problem if all other programs perform flawlessly... 

"Burn" tech support's ears, they are there to help you! 

Anyway, Doug's suggestion of running 'disconnected' from your network, router, seems like a good idea... 

I'm guessing your IT Guy is like mine... Me, myself, and I...

Your patience in this matter is something I admire!  Best of Luck!

Thanks, Bill.

Yeah, I handle a lot of the easier IT tasks.  I'm basically a power user.  I know enough to get me in trouble.  I prefer hardware over networking, but I'm learning...

Our IT people are going to look into the network side of it, and see if there's something amiss...I'll keep everyone posted.

The logic that "all other programs work fine" so it must be a problem with Chief and not a problem with the machine is flawed.

The number of times we have heard this and subsequently found a problem with the machine that was causing the problem is countless. It isn't always the case, but ruling out the machine as the problem is a critical first step. In the rare case that a customer doesn't work with us in good faith to do these checks it becomes very difficult to diagnose the problem when it is a machine issue.

I know how frustrating it is to work through the diagnostic steps to prove that it isn't the machine, but it is sometime necessary. Especially in cases where the described problem is not a common issue.

There are many possible explanations for a machine specific problem to appear to correlate with an update to Chief even though the problem is not in Chief. An obvious one is running low on disk space. Installing a new application on a system with already tight disk space can put a system over the edge.

There are many more scenarios, and I understand that no one wants to hear the news that it is their system. But if it is the problem, then it is what needs to be fixed.

We will continue to work with you for as long as it takes to diagnose the issue. If it is Chief then we need to know that so that we can correct the problem.

Thanks, Doug.  It's pretty awesome that you guys are taking the time to help us out on this...

We're having our IT people look into the network side, and like I said above we're even considering getting gaming cards (for the hardware side).  One thing is for sure, we're not afraid to throw some money at our technology to get things running smoothly.  We know it's a vital part of our business to have things operating as they should.

We'll post updates for all, once we get some results.

Doug,

The thing that is the most "alarming" is that we didn't have a single issue with X5.  In fact, it ran the best out of any of the Chief's to date (my opinion).

As soon as we installed X6, we started having lockup issues...

That's the only reason why I don't think it's our end...but I've been wrong before...once :)

We feel the same way. x6 doesn't run nearly as smoothly as x5

My just started locking up a few days ago.  It has done it 4 times now on different plans that have never done it before.  When I say lock up, I can't even get a Ctrl+Alt+Del to work.  I have to hard reboot to get it to do anything.  I just get the busy circle on the screen.  It is starting to be a real pain.  I have updated everything (Windows, video card driver, etc.) with no luck.    

OK I am still getting a few of these and also just a blank lock up at times - but when I re-open CA I haven't lost anything yet.  I'm also having times when things get a bit snaggy and X6 seems to catch for a second or two when I'm moving/copying stuff. I usually close the plan and reopen it again and then things run OK...  

post-171-0-01046500-1395548103_thumb.jpg