Numbers rounding incorrectly

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

I have a site plan with measurements from property line to building. I have the dimensions in metric to 2 decimal places. For some reason, I'm getting some dimensions that are rounded incorrectly resulting in conflicting measurements. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, do you know a solution? I'm going to send this to tech support right away and I will post a solution, if there is one!

image.thumb.png.6e1d41c76c4d7b2a15c3ceb1db0037e6.png

24 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Can you just change the absolute values to reflect the 2 decimal places? Or is it more a matter of Chief behaving badly?

I have 2 dimensions shown at each location: one with 2 decimal places and one with 10 (to show they are the same). The dimensions circled in red are being rounded incrorrectly. The ones in green are rounded correctly. It is a matter of Chief producing a basic mathematical error.

25 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I have 2 dimensions shown at each location: one with 2 decimal places and one with 10 (to show they are the same). The dimensions circled in red are being rounded incrorrectly. The ones in green are rounded correctly. It is a matter of Chief producing a basic mathematical error.

Understood, Chief is behaving badly. I've had this happen before and just adjusted the measurements to the nearest decimal place I am looking for but understand the frustration and the obvious bug.

• Downvote 1

Just now, HumbleChief said:

Understood, Chief is behaving badly. I've had this happen before and just adjusted the measurements to the nearest decimal place I am looking for but understand the frustration and the obvious bug.

What I plan to do is just replace those with text, but not until the very end of plan completion! its just to stoopid!

Chief is very good at math.  It could still be a programming bug, but I don't think its a math bug.

Do your results change if you change your dimension defaults from "Grid Rounding" to "Distance Rounding"?

Are you 100% sure that your dimension lines are actually locating the same thing?

Are you 100% sure that the lines you are dimensioning to are actually parallel?

Are you 100% sure that your dimension lines are using the same dimension defaults?

Are you 100% sure that you did not already override your dimension string?

There are probably lots of other things that could cause this problem but these are the most obvious things I could think of first.  Assuming that it is not one of these issues, be sure to send your plan into tech support and someone will look into this further.

26 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I have 2 dimensions shown at each location: one with 2 decimal places and one with 10 (to show they are the same).

There are a few things to check when you need to be nuts on accurate without displaying 13 decimal places.  

First are your lines that you are dimensioning perfectly parallel ?  I have been noticing that chief is fast and loose with the make parallel tool and it is always close but not always exact. Sometimes you even need to check the ruby results to be sure that it is.

Second is that you need to be aware of your dimension defaults and know how Grid Rounding works in comparison to Distance Rounding.

Most likely you will get the results you are expecting using a cad line with arrows and using the "Show Length" option as they always use Distance Rounding.  Same for primarily single strand dimensions on cad details should use Distance Rounding in you dimension defaults or you could get some really unexpected results which could be quite costly if you do not notice.

I am quite curious as to the exact nature of your specific situation if you care to paste that into a cad detail and post it unless you can sort it out from my posting as using text is a really bad habit to get into and should not be necessary.

Also it is pretty standard to show three decimal places on a metric survey for accuracy and it also helps to differentiate from imperial measure which is standardized at two decimal places, especially if you are not showing units. :)

13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Also it is pretty standard to show three decimal places on a metric survey for accuracy and it also helps to differentiate from imperial measure which is standardized at two decimal places, especially if you are not showing units. :)

While I don't disagree with you, it's a regional thing. 2 decimal places with no units is standard in the region for this project. Wasn't my idea, I just dance to the music being played!

And 3 decimal places sometimes don't help when the lot isn't drawn to that level of accuracy! Plenty of the subdivision drawings I receive have text for dimensions to cover up slight inaccuracies in the drafting of the lots.

3 decimal places also won't help if Chief doesn't round correctly!

image.thumb.png.4e7759e4ca23bcfd4717eef6a8480e02.png

47 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Do your results change if you change your dimension defaults from "Grid Rounding" to "Distance Rounding"?

Dermot,  I think there is something in the manual that really needs to be clarified that causes people to think that Distance Rounding should not be used in light of our recent awareness of this topic.  Could you please see that this is addressed.   Thank you.

• Downvote 1

• Solution

Rob,   Change your " Site Plan Dimensions " default to " Distance Rounding " and I think you will be much happier and get the results you are expecting more consistently.  Personally I would add the " Unit Indicators " to your cad line Displayed Line Length defaults in this situation but that is up to you.

image.thumb.png.dc1792c708a752a2d50e74059f33e8b0.png

8 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Change your " Site Plan Dimensions " default to " Distance Rounding

Thanks a lot Chop! I owe you one!

For the buildings; I don't use displayed line lengths, I used dimensions to keep them all inside the polyline. I really wish there was a way to set the location of the displayed line length of a polyline. I know Michael had a video once showing how this could be achieved using moldings with a label, or maybe it was a polyline with a label.

34 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

@DermotDermot,  I think there is something in the manual that really needs to be clarified that causes people to think that Distance Rounding should not be used in light of our recent awareness of this topic.  Could you please see that this is addressed.   Thank you.

Which something?  don't be shy now :), if I'm not sure, how will Dermot know either? 

M.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Which something?  don't be shy now :), if I'm not sure, how will Dermot know either? 

I am quite certain he knows.  If not he knows how to contact me.  It is something that should not be in the manual so certainly should not be posted here as well.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Rob,   Change your " Site Plan Dimensions " default to " Distance Rounding " and I think you will be much happier and get the results you are expecting more consistently.  Personally I would add the " Unit Indicators " to your cad line Displayed Line Length defaults in this situation but that is up to you.

image.thumb.png.dc1792c708a752a2d50e74059f33e8b0.png

This example highlights exactly why Grid Rounding is so important.  The bottom dimensions do what you might expect now, but see what happens when you try to add those up with the numbers across the midline/partition wall area...

pic.thumb.png.2cc7e14a9665d7b2a868f24e49257987.png

A+B+C+D = 12.19 when the plot plan shows that it should be 12.20

It’s not a bug.  It’s intended rounding behavior that ensures dimensions always add up across the plan.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, robdyck said:

3 decimal places also won't help if Chief doesn't round correctly!

Its not about correct vs. incorrect.  Its about expected vs unexpected and consistent vs. inconsistent.  As soon as you start rounding numbers you are already making them incorrect.  The question is...how exactly do you want to change them so that they're being displayed to your desired level of accuracy without creating undesirable results elsewhere.  Something always has to give.  You just have to decide which inaccuracy you're willing to live with.

12 hours ago, robdyck said:

I will post a solution, if there is one!

• Draw more accurately.
  • Choose a more appropriate rounding accuracy.
  • Shift the whole drawing so that its at a more suitable location on the rounding grid. 
  • Switch one or more of your defaults to Distance Rounding as Chopsaw already mentioned and risk numbers not adding up.
  • Manually override as you already mentioned and risk both numbers not adding up and the possibility of changing something and having your numbers completely wrong.
  • Leave it alone.  It may not be rounding as you are expecting, but everything adds up, and how much does it really matter for the sake of the plans?  Is it actually important that the numbers on top and the numbers on bottom are mirrors of each other?  Or does it just bother YOU because you happen to know that they should be identical?

Pick your poison.

Check the first example.  The 3 lines of dimensions actually match the rounded displays.

• 3.59-1.98-1.61  == 0.00

So it's really a matter of what you want.  Do you want the dimension strings to add correctly - or do you want the rounded display to match "rounding rules" as we know them?

• Upvote 1