Standard Operating Procedures For Con-Docs

mcrump

I am curious as to what the preferred method is for producing Con-Docs in the following areas:

Do you put notes, symbols, keys, etc. on the layout pages, do you put them in the plan or do you mix it up and do both.  I would like to know what the Chief gurus such as Scott, Perry, Jim, Glenn and all the others who are far, far smarter and wiser than me when it comes to producing Con-Docs with Chief.

I just spent a boatload of time producing Con-Docs and know whit out a doubt that I could do it faster if my methods were refined.  Thanks for any and all responses.

I use a plan and layout template with everything I need, already sent to the layout. The layout already has my details, notes, whatever already on the template layout. I just open my template plan and layout, re-name and re-link them , set the defaults for the plan and ready for prime time.  As you draw the plan the layout will automatically generate, except for the elevations and setions, you must open them and close. Details are deleted if not used, I find that easier than placing a detail from the lib. I know a lot of people have different methods, whatever floats your boat works 

Perry,

I don't have a darn clue about the method you use but I sure would like to see a video no it (hint, hint). Is this like Scotts Save-As method?

Scott is the inventor of the save as method (SAM) where he just takes a similar plan and uses that for his template plan and deletes and re-arranges the previous plan. That way your layersets never get out of date they just move on to the next plan so they are always current. Scott has made several videos on the Sam method. I use a modified SAM.

A modified SAM method sounds exactly how I currently do drawings in Vectorworks. It will be time consuming but I should be able to move quite a few of my CAD details and notes to a new plan file and bring them into a template file. Does this sound reasonable?

I will do this gradually as I switch over and it shouldn't be too bad. Currently I am starting my first major Reno/addition in Chief so hopefully all goes well.

Scott is the inventor of the save as method (SAM)

I beg to differ w/ that statement. I used it for a while back around the turn of the century.  There were several of us "old-timers" that used that system for a while before going to a fully developed template/profile;  a while before Scott came on board.

Anyway, I don't annotate a drawing that is sent to layout on the layout page. I do that in the actual view. I put large blocks of "general' text right on the layout page or add directly to the page from the library. It comes down to when you move the view around on the page or to a different page, what do you want to go with it?

I appreciate the time that all of you Take to try to help us newbies but Some just need to grow up and stop acting like little children on your posts and replies. There is room for some goofing around but there is a point where the posts are not helpful at all - If the glove fits, wear it.

As you can see there are may ways to do con docs.

I use a plan file for each std detail then link them to the layout. I put all text on the various plan files before sending to layout.

My layout template is already loaded with the details i use on most jobs, I just delete those that do not apply or relink to a similar detail if say I use a deep footing instead of a std or similar. Or link in the other details that always change such as cladding flashing details.

The only thing that is added to the layouts directly is the revision balloons as they only show what is changed from the previous version.

Perry,

I didn't invent it; never intimated that at all. The whole idea/concept was around long before I ever started worrying about such things. & the practice has never went away.  A client of mine that has been w/ me since around 2000 still uses it to this day. It works for him; 4-5 homes/yr & all very similar. When I get his plan, I import my layer & anno sets (if necessary) & he's good to go. 

Scott gave us the acronym "SAM".  & we see "SAM" a lot because Scott is a prolific poster.

On the other hand, MRLS (Multiple Reference Layer Sets) is all Scott's- IMO. He took the new feature of reference layer sets to a higher level & showed us all how they can be used in ways that were not always obvious & really quite ingenious at times.

Whatever method you use to standardize CD creation, I try to have it all pre-drawn, pre-sent to layout, pre "done" as much as possible. . I think it is quicker/easier to delete unnecessary stuff from the layout than to create it from scratch. Particularly if I think  something newly added will be used again.

• Upvote 1

My basics is similar to what has been posted above.

A. One layout file is fed by several plan files. This layout file contains project notes but not the plan specific notes. Project data, general notes, electrical and plumbing notes (generic).

b. One plan file is the as built

c. One plan file is the remodel plan file

d. One plan file is details laid out in a sheet format in plan view ( I have a layer that gets hidden which are my snapping guides for detail placement) so I have a relative layout that gets snapped to to the layout sheet. I don't import individual details unless it is a small project with 4 details +/-

e. I sometimes need one more plan file for a special plan element (AKA, I ran out of time to do something right and I hack up the main plan)

f. Renders are dropped into the layout file directly

The only info on most sheets that do not come from the plan file are the drawing titles. If an elevation comes in all notes relating to that elevation are in the plan view. Most revision clouds are in the plan view unless it is the entire drawing that needs to be clouded then it makes more sense for the placement to be done in layout.