Saved Plan View with Default Set

ChiefuserMathews

2 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

I think I should send the drawing to the layout sheet to determine the scale factor and do the dimensions and text according to the scale.

If it helps you...for a 1/4" print I have my default text size for dims and text at a 4. That is what I based everything else off when setting my defaults for the other scales I send things to layout in. My door/window labels are a 3 and my room labels are a 7.

Maybe that helps you?

image.thumb.png.c78718b1512336e9cba173cd57e7517e.png

I don't think you have the concept yet, Wilson.  

There is no "scale factor" for text and dimensions.  There is a scale one sets when sending a plan view (or an elevation, or CAD detail) to layout.  The most common is 1/4" = 1'-0".  Another way to look at this scale is that it is 1/48th full scale.

Text and dimensions have a height setting.  That height is FULL SCALE, i.e. 1:1.  The setting in imperial units is done in inches.  If your height setting for text is 48 inches, your text will all be 1" high on your layout for any views sent at 1/4" scale.

Out of the box, Chief comes with the text and dimensions set at 6" height for 1/4" scale.  6/48 = 1/8.  Text will all be 1/8" high for views sent at 1/4" scale, and with text height = 6 inches.

I set mine at 4-1/2", so my text is 3/32" (0.093") high at 1/4-scale.  Joey sets his at 4, a little smaller.  His comes in at 0.083", about 10 percent less than mine.  In my opinion, Joey's height of 4 inches for 1/4 scale is about as small as one might want to go.

Thank you Davis for your response. To clarify your questions. What I meant was, lets say if I had send a plan to a layout sheet at 1/4" scale, all my text and dimensions are based on 1/4" scale set. Then I realize my plan does not fit in my layout sheet then I rescale in my layout with available option to lets say 3/16". Then would my text and dimensions from the plan which had the original 1/4" scale factor would change to suit the new scale factor of 3/16". If it does then its fine . If i am wrong correct me. If not then do I need to go back to my plan to adjust the text and dimension to the new 3/16" layout scale factor? Please clarify.

19 minutes ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

If not then do I need to go back to my plan to adjust the text and dimension to the new 3/16" layout scale factor? Please clarify.

FWIW....changing at that scale probably wouldn't be noticeable, but when changing from 1/4" to 1/8", you can simply SHIFT SELECT all the text and change the default text style.

33 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Joey's height of 4 inches for 1/4 scale is about as small as one might want to go.

It is. I am right at the limit for a 1/4" scale drawing. I chose 4 so that I can step up and use 5 for things like room flooring material and room dims. 

As I said earlier, I use the scale in use by builders and framing carpenters and plans examiners and inspectors just about everywhere inch-foot measuring is in play.

1/4" = 1'-0"

And I've yet to do a project I couldn't do with one of the industry-standard page sizes, ARCH-B through E.

You must work in some alternative universe.  Every printer I know works in those paper sizes.

But I think I understand your issue. 

If you are fixed to a paper size due to your own printer's limitation, or that of your print shop, and your plan won't fit at 1/4" scale, but WILL at 3/16" scale, you have two choices.

ACCEPT that your text and dimension heights will be 75% as tall as when printed at 1/4" scale, or . . . 

. . . EDIT all your anno to your smaller preferred size.  I find that editing anno height often requires editing placement as well as arrows.

Chief won't do it automatically.  

2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

FWIW....changing at that scale probably wouldn't be noticeable, but when changing from 1/4" to 1/8", you can simply SHIFT SELECT all the text and change the default text style.

This is why text height should not be scale dependent.
You should be able to specify what height you want your text regardless of scale.

That is, you should be able to specify the “printed” height.

So if you chose a printed text height of 1/8 inch for room labels then regardless of which scale the text will always be 1/8” on your printed sheet. 
This would be far less confusing and no calculations required. 

19 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

Then I realize my plan does not fit in my layout sheet then I rescale in my layout with available option to lets say 3/16"

Be careful doing this as your local Jurisdiction may not accept anything other than 1/4" = 1ft , which means sometimes having to got to ARCH E1 or ARCH E Paper size.

M.

• 5 months later...

Hi There

If I understand the part of the premise of ChiefuserMathews dillema, it was about drawing something in a view and it being on the wrong layer. I've had the same heck of a time trying to understand the default sets relationship. But I'm slowly on my way to having reliable sets that actually work to my liking. I have to say the process actually make it a lot easier and faster to get drawings to layout in a more concise manner. I'm no expert and some days I wake up and forget everything I learned the day before. But I am like a dog on abone my wife says. Today I set up  new electrical plan defaults and after it was setup, proceeded to put a rich text note in. It came in as "text,roofing" prompting me to turn that layer on. I went back over the default settings and made sure each default was setup right. Still no luck. Anyways it kept happening. So I stopped, had some dinner then I went back with somewhat of an epiphany. I went to the "edit active view" button which opens up the plan view specification dbx. went to the "selected default" tab and picked the electrical set that I had created. Voila! no more "Text, roofing" prompt. 

I must admit, I had a hard time reading all of the replies and quit at the bottom of the first page because I really want ChiefuserMathews or anyone else to see this and hopefully it will spark a light in their brain. I'll post a snapshot of the dbx. And who knows, when I read the rest of this post, maybe someone else will have mentioned this. 

Bernard

1436897548_chiefsupport.thumb.png.03badc15b0a7ffbfced747ffc9bdee99.png

chief support electrical defaults.png