Plan Templates

builtright3

All that productive talk about anno sets and layer sets has made me think of another topic I'm interested in talking about if anyone one else would like to join in.

Plan Templates:

I built a few plan templates but every time I draw a new plan I add to it but the template file is not being updated. Does anyone have any suggestions on productive ways to keep your plan templates updated and organized? Or maybe I'm just missing something simple that I'm overlooking?

I am not sure what you mean by "updated and organized" in that templates by default should be kept in one's "Template folder" usually found in "My Documents/Chief Architect X6 Data/Templates. If you do that how could them become "disorganized"?

To update a template you must open it, update it and then save it making sure it is saved to your "Templates" folder.

I suppose one could figure out more complicated methods than the above but that is merely a tribute to the flexibility of Chief Premier.

DJP

David I think what Joe is trying to say is if you make a change while working on a plan that it would update your profile plan without having to go into the profile plan to do this, just like if you make a change to your lib. that change goes with you, the next time you open a plan that lib change will be there. I think that is what he is saying

There are things that are exportable: layersets, anno sets, hotkeys. If your plans are being done in sequence you can use the SAM method (SAVE AS Method) which is to start you new plan by cleaning out your latest plan which already has those settings and defaults you built on your last project.

David I was not ? what you were saying I was just trying to explain what I thought Joe meant and I came to that conclusion when you said (I am not sure what you mean by "updated and organized" in that templates) my comment was just an explaination not a "what might be nice" one, bu it would be nice

"Maybe this is the better question:

When you are drawing a plan can you save the settings, layer, defaults, annosets....in the plan as a template without it saving the drawing that you are creating? Dose that make better sense?"

Yes that makes better sense. No you can't. Sorry and it would be great if we could.

Ray,

Thank you and you are right in part of what I was trying to say but I was basically trying to get a discussion going and it seems as if I failed or was misunderstood. I struggle with templates files and thought a discussion might be nice for others that might also struggle. So I thought it might be a good topic. Seems at this point I'm the only one struggling.

Just started using this forum a week ago and I'm just learning the ropes. I have been a CA user for several years and I would like to be an effective part in helping other users as well as myself.

Thank you guys. I will pay more attention and try not to over think or over help.

OTOH, You can save those things and then open your Template and Import them, save the Template and it's done.  Chief provides many Templates and you can set one as the Default Template.  As you develop and modify you might want to save the new Templates using names that you recognize - either by style or even by Job Name.

When starting a new project, you always have the option of using "New Plan from Template" and selecting whatever Template suits the job.

Maybe this is the better question:

When you are drawing a plan can you save the settings, layer, defaults, annosets....in the plan as a template without it saving the drawing that you are creating? Dose that make better sense?

No you can't save the settings you are referring to but you can save the plan and delete 'the drawing you are creating' quite easily, which will in essence serve the same purpose.

Another method used by many (myself included) is to save the 'drawing you are creating' as a template or as a new project/drawing file and just change the walls floors etc. for your new project. All your latest settings and changes will come along into that new file and you won't have to recreate any settings for your new projects.

EDIT: I see Alan alluded to the SAM or 'save as method' above which is essentially the method I'm describing.

I like those Ideas. My problem I think has been jumping back and forth with different methods and not being consistent and my files/templates get messed up. I will go back to the old fashion way of using a pencil and paper to organize my thoughts and develop something more consistent.

Thank You

I have a separate City and a County Layout that I use as each jurisdiction has different notations and spec's required.

I'll save my latest Layout (City or County) as a new file name preserving all those notes etc. and resend plan views to the new Layout, but that's about it for Layouts.

I'm pretty disorganized and am constantly adding or changing Layers and settings and I find that any older 'template' I've created is quickly outdated and contains older preferences and settings that I no longer use. I can only keep up with my lack of organization and constantly changing template ideas by using 'save as' to preserve my latest settings and preferences.

Again, I'm relatively new but I'm basically using the SAM as well as it is virtually impossible to keep track of all the small refinements to default settings etc while working on a project. I expect this to be less and less as I learn the program and become more settled in. Still, it would be nice if Chief could ask when creating a new layer or annotation set if I want to save that to the template the plan is based on as well.

I like the idea of saving templates by city or county because I work in a lot of them and they all have there different local codes. But I still organize my layout pages in the same way. I do 1 and 2 story room additions mostly along with kitchen and bathrooms.

Maybe for me this may be a good way to go:

Plan Templates:

• Single Story
  • Two Story
  • Kitchen and Bathroom

Layout Templates:

• Single Story
  • Two Story
  • Kitchen and Bath

As for the city and counties I think I will just expand the library to hold all the separate note and/or use Microsoft word to store the info and cut and past it into the text boxes