Plan views to layout

Arcadian

Hi All,

Just started using X11 and sending floor plans for level 1 and level 2 to same layout sheet, but when in Layout, both floors are of the same level, and when I try changing the level on one layout plan, both change, so can't seem to show 2 floor level plans on 1 layout sheet...

I'm obviously having a senior moment, so can someone out there guide me in the right direction ?

Hi Mick,

Just went through the scenario again with a new plan and layout, and the same thing happened. Send 1st floor plan to layout. Go back to plan and change to 2nd floor. Send to layout. The 1st floor on the layout changes to 2nd floor. On the layout sheet, went back to the 1st floor plan (now showing 2nd floor), clicked on plan and opened object. in the plan view specification box there is an option to adjust the linked saved plan. Adjust that to none and that opens up the current floor box below for adjustment. adjust to floor 1 and the 1st layout plan goes back to floor 1 and the 2nd layout plan remains at floor 2.

It sounds like a long way to make this happen when it used to be automatic on X10, so am now wondering if there's something I missed on the initial setup, or in preferences somewhere...

41 minutes ago, Arcadian said:

Hi Mick,

Just went through the scenario again with a new plan and layout, and the same thing happened. Send 1st floor plan to layout. Go back to plan and change to 2nd floor. Send to layout. The 1st floor on the layout changes to 2nd floor. On the layout sheet, went back to the 1st floor plan (now showing 2nd floor), clicked on plan and opened object. in the plan view specification box there is an option to adjust the linked saved plan. Adjust that to none and that opens up the current floor box below for adjustment. adjust to floor 1 and the 1st layout plan goes back to floor 1 and the 2nd layout plan remains at floor 2.

It sounds like a long way to make this happen when it used to be automatic on X10, so am now wondering if there's something I missed on the initial setup, or in preferences somewhere...

It seems to Work the Old way for me if the Plan View Dropdown is set to None before I start Sending to Layout , otherwise it uses the Saved Plan View Setup  for the Layout Box too , which you then need to set to None. I can't remember if I added the Plan View Dropdown with customise Toolbars or if it was there but here is mine....

image.thumb.png.3fd11738e411aafeb89490c19b70f3cb.png

3 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I still don’t get the hubbub about plan views. Other than when a specific reference floor is necessary I just use anno sets and send to layout. 

Am I missing something else?

Like you in X10 I didn't play with them much but a thread earlier this month , had me rethink things and I am now using a Save Plan View for each of my Annosets ( which are linked to a matched Layerset) , very easy to set up, and now I use the Plan View to Switch Annosets instead. To setup, just Open each annoset (which opened the Layerset too for me) Then Save a NEW Plan View with an Appropriate Name , you can then delete the CA default ones if you want to?  Some of the advantages are it also saves Zoom level, Floor ( so you can Copy a SPV and set one for each Floor ) Colour and a few other things other than just the Reference set.

This thread is probably worth a Read:  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21188-layout-layer-sets/?do=findComment&comment=172544

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I’m curious as to what you mean by this and how you’re thinking of using it.

Assigning elevation cameras and plan views by room... ie, kitchen, master bath...  so, no matter where you place the kitchen, your views are correct... set up your template and go to work on your 3D model while the computer pastes your views to the layout automatically.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

Assigning elevation cameras and plan views by room... ie, kitchen, master bath...  so, no matter where you place the kitchen, your views are correct... set up your template and go to work on your 3D model while the computer pastes your views to the layout automatically.

Huh?

I don’t quite get that. 

If you move your kitchen from one wall to another then your camera is looking at a blank wall. Isn’t it?

I do wish we could rotate the cameras at least and reposition them for each new plan. That way we can at least keep the Camera View Name ans all we would have to do is re-dimension the elevation 

12 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

One nice feature of plan views is that more than one can be open at a time in its own tab so switching between electrical, then foundation, then roofing no longer requires closing one Anno set, opening another etc.

You can also switch Saved Plan Views using its drop down menu which is my preferred method. Just as easy to switch views and only one tab required for plan view. I may also have the layout and several cameras open which leads to a lot of tab clutter if multiple plan views are also open.

11 hours ago, parkwest said:

Interesting. That's pretty out there, you're definitely thinking outside the "box" haha!

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

You can also switch Saved Plan Views using its drop down menu which is my preferred method. Just as easy to switch views and only one tab required for plan view. I may also have the layout and several cameras open which leads to a lot of tab clutter if multiple plan views are also open.

True but that simply replicates the previous Anno Set behavior which is cool - was trying to point out a benefit of Plan Views, but only if it makes things easier. Come to think of it I don't think I have a bunch of tabs open at once, probably old habits that are hard to break...

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

True but that simply replicates the previous Anno Set behavior which is cool - was trying to point out a benefit of Plan Views

Actually, switching Saved Plan Views using the drop down provides all the functionality of saved plan views, more than just annotation sets.

7 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

I may also have the layout and several cameras open which leads to a lot of tab clutter if multiple plan views are also open.

I use multiple monitors. I open sections, 3D views, reference items, etc. on other monitors; that helps keep the tab clutter down.

46 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

NEED. MORE. MONITORS!

I thought about going Joe's route and getting a 55" 4K but my office arrangement wouldn't support that size very well. The 43" works very well and I may try to rearrange to go to a 55" instead at some point. With my office, two 43" may end up being the sweet spot.