X11 Reference Floor Question

HumbleChief

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just don't set it up as a reference floor if you don't want it in that view.  Set up only the desired floor(s) in the desired Plan Views.

sometimes its nice to have the reference floor loaded in if its in a different file location so you don't need to open the file to have it available for reference. 

You could set the referenced floor to an "all off" layer set

You could also have an "all off" plan view saved with all reference plan views so that when you open the file it pulls in all reference plans and then use Michaels suggestion

31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just don't set it up as a reference floor if you don't want it in that view.  Set up only the desired floor(s) in the desired Plan Views.

Thank you, understand how it works, was just wondering if a template plan could be set up once with multiple ref sets that could be toggled on/off individually. I'm thinking the answer is no...but maybe an all off layer set would work? Not sure exactly how important it will be for real world future work flow as the whole concept is still a bit new and untested real world.

electrical, framing and foundation and whatever view you have will have their own reference sets per plan view sent to the layout. I have my template plan set that way so its automatic and of course already sent to my template layout.

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Larry,

Just utilize the "Saved Plan Views".  Each "Saved Plan View" will have it's own Reference Set.

Thanks Joe, not the question I'm asking. Posted a video describing. I want to set up a template plan with many reference layer sets that can be toggled on or off instead of loading individual ref sets each time I need another ref. Cannot find this capability in the ref set dbx. It's cool and maybe there's a work around, and maybe the request is superfluous. Still not exactly sure how I'll use them yet so the question might be moot.

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Joe, not what I am asking for...

I think Joe is pointing you in the right direction, it seems that you are trying to setup the reference set to replace saved plan views. Maybe there is a method lurking there that isn't immediately apparent to me. Something to note, reference plans will rob you of computer resources if too many are loaded in.

I'm sure people will be creative in their utilization of the new reference capabilities. I use it to show a "new floor plan" plan view over an "existing floor plan" plan view, or a "braced wall plan" plan view on top of a "foundation plan" plan view, or a "new roof only" plan view over an "existing floor plan" plan view. in actuality it doesn't reference plan views, but that is how I establish my layersets-through plan views.

As a remodeller my workflow is this:(over-explained for clarity)

Specify my layers/line weights/colors within a layer set, specific to the type of information I wish to present in the eventual plan view I will commit...being sure to omit the information that is not relevant. Specify my anno defaults and associate with the layer set, so that when I switch to that anno set, it will switch to the associated layer set. Establish a plan view that will associate with this anno set. When I switch to the "E-PLAN" plan view, my anno set switches to "E-PLAN ANNO" which switches my layerset to "E-PLAN 1/4."

go do takeoffs/as-builts and save plan view as "E-PLAN"

open a new plan and switch to my "NEW FLOOR PLAN" plan view and turn on reference to the as-built plan, referencing the "E-PLAN 1/4"  layerset. If I need to edit something on that layer set I just go to that plan view and select my "E-PLAN" plan view.

I'm obviously not asking the question clearly enough, nor was the video explanation clear enough. Sorry but don't know how to ask in any other way. Did you watch the video? Not trying to replace saved plans views, use them all the time and understand their purpose.

Was simply wondering if multiple ref sets can be toggled on/off in the ref set dbx. I can see no way to do so, so will go with plan 'B'.

9 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I'm obviously not asking the question clearly enough, nor was the video explanation clear enough. Sorry but don't know how to ask in any other way. Did you watch the video? Not trying to replace saved plans views, use them all the time and understand their purpose.

Was simply wondering if multiple ref sets can be toggled on/off in the ref set dbx. I can see no way to do so, so will go with plan 'B'.

Yeah I watched- apologies, the straight to the point answer is no, I guess what I'm wondering is why would you want to? though I will say that @Alaskan_Son had a great quote the other day, paraphrasing- something along the lines of you may be onto something, it may become relevant someday and should be considered

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Yeah I watched- apologies, the straight to the point answer is no, I guess what I'm wondering is why would you want to?

Thanks for watching the vid. Here's what I was thinking. Say I have 3 ref sets set up for my plan but want to see what just a specific 2 would look like. If I could toggle one off I could check the results. Toggle it back on, check the results. As it is now I would have to delete a ref set, check the view, add it back, check the view, delete and check again. A simple 'display' column would do the trick.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks for watching the vid. Here's what I was thinking. Say I have 3 ref sets set up for my plan but want to see what just a specific 2 would look like. If I could toggle one off I could check the results. Toggle it back on, check the results. As it is now I would have to delete a ref set, check the view, add it back, check the view, delete and check again. A simple 'display' column would do the trick.

Ok, totally getting it- guess the easy "work-around" is to create "plumbing off" "plumbing on" "framing off" "framing on" layer sets so that you can leave the plan loaded up 5 times and only need to switch the referenced layer set. The reason for the similar names would be to keep the toggle immediately above or below the current layer set for an easy "switch"

Larry,

This was a suggestion I sent in earlier on which seems to be along the lines of  your request.

I would suggest that the Change Floor/Reference dbx be a "library" of a whole variety of reference sets and if you wanted to use a particular reference set you could place a check in the "Current" column.
Conversely, if you didn't want to use a particular reference set, you could just uncheck it.
The current line entry that shows with a red circle, current floor and current layer set can remain.
This would allow greater flexibility and save setting up and deleting reference sets all the time.

18 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

which reminds me- would love it if chief could show items like windows and doors and electrical outlets without needing the wall layer turned on

Not sure if this will work for you but you can create a layer set that shows only outlets doors an windows...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's something that seems to work. Choose a floor that doesn't have any of the reference items on it. Toggle between the floor with no info turns off the data in the ref set.

My vids always take a while to process, maybe because I record in 1080? will be fuzzy for 10 minutes 

I hate to say this...but, I am not understanding the ref set management/display dialog.  Can one of you guru's do a video that shows how/why this is used.  I understand ref sets (like we have in X10)...but, not sure I have a clue about this multiple ref set thing.  

Can you set it up so you can reference (by hitting F9) both a basement level and the 2nd floor?  How do you do this?  

I also just don't understand the dialogue box for the ref sets...so, any basic level video would really be helpful.

Thanks!

Steve,

I don't have time for a video at the moment, but a few things to get you going.

Be aware that not only can we now have multiple reference plans, we can have reference plans that reference external plan files. ie a completely different plan than the current one.

You can add referenced plans by using Insert Above and Insert Below.

Each row is a different reference plan.

The row number determines the draw order. Upper rows draw on top of lower rows.

You can Move rows up and down to change the draw order.

To reference an external plan file, click the drop down box in the Plan column and select Choose Existing Plan. 

Oh, forgot to mention, you can reference another plan (3D) in a 3D view - very cool.

Sorry, that's all I have time for. 

The manual does a pretty good job of explaining it.

And I am sure someone will do a vid for you - Chief has probably got one already.