Macro in relation to Polyline Area?

HamlinBC

First of all, I'm just wondering if it's possible. 2nd of all, I would probably be willing to pay for a macro that could do what I want.

Essentially, I'm looking to be able to place a polyline on a plan and have a macro that displays the area of that specific polyline. We generally use a polyline around our framing to calculate square footage, and I'm hoping to be able to create that polyline, and link a macro to it so when we change the polyline, the SQ FT number changes with it.

Who knows, maybe its easier than having a macro, and maybe it's not even possible. Just throwing some feelers out there.

TIA

Solver-  Yes, I have searched.

I'm looking for more than that...I'm hoping to have the area labeled in a box pretty far away from the polyline it's referencing with no arrow pointing to it. AlaskanSon was kind enough to reach out to me and is going to help me out.

4 hours ago, HamlinBC said:

I'm looking for more than that...I'm hoping to have the area labeled in a box pretty far away from the polyline it's referencing with no arrow pointing to it. AlaskanSon was kind enough to reach out to me and is going to help me out.

See Michael and My posts from Yesterday about the hidden Arrows

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/20000-individual-door-labels-x10/?do=findComment&comment=163387

Kirk's Video is also very good.....

On 10/26/2018 at 4:15 PM, KirkClemons said:

As a quick reference to anyone who finds this, you can move the label away from the polyline fairly simply. See the attached video.

label-macro-distant-macro.mp4

Kirk, or anyone else reading this,

How to I get a Polyline Label on Floor 2 to display in my footage chart on Floor 1?

The only way see to make this work, is to create the polyline on Floor 2, then paste in place on floor 1.

I am looking and looking at how to create a Square Footage Chart that works. I have had many replies back that "it is very simple and easy to create"; yet I can not find a good thread or video of someone actually creating this. I have very little knowledge on Macros. How does one call up a polyline on another floor and display information out of it?

Any help, link or thread would be much appreciated.

Thomas

On 10/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, HamlinBC said:

The Alaskan Son helped me with what you are trying to do.  Such a valuable tool,  it's amazing to me that this is not part of the CA program.  Joe Carrick also has a method of doing what you want to do.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:15 PM, KirkClemons said:

As a quick reference to anyone who finds this, you can move the label away from the polyline fairly simply. See the attached video.

label-macro-distant-macro.mp4

That does not even come close to what he wants to do.

- He wants the number to show on a different level/Floor.  

- He wants the movement of the number to be independent of the polyline.

- He probably wants the number to be shown in a CAD DETAIL

- He probably wants the number to be used in a mathematical equation

If he doesn't want all those things, I would like to have them.

1 minute ago, dshall said:

That does not even come close to what he wants to do.

If he doesn't want all those things, I would like to have them.

That was in reply to the OP's question about displaying the macro output away from the polyline.

19 minutes ago, tdroes82 said:

Kirk, or anyone else reading this,

How to I get a Polyline Label on Floor 2 to display in my footage chart on Floor 1?

The only way see to make this work, is to create the polyline on Floor 2, then paste in place on floor 1.

I am looking and looking at how to create a Square Footage Chart that works. I have had many replies back that "it is very simple and easy to create"; yet I can not find a good thread or video of someone actually creating this. I have very little knowledge on Macros. How does one call up a polyline on another floor and display information out of it?

Any help, link or thread would be much appreciated.

Thomas

One way you could to that is to store the output of the macro into a global variable, then call that variable with another macro. (video attached)

Global variables are denoted with the $ symbol.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, tdroes82 said:

I am looking and looking at how to create a Square Footage Chart that works. .......

Why would you want a square footage chart?  Maybe because you would use it on every single dang project you work on?  It is crazy that this is not part of the CA program.

The Alaskan Son and Joe Carrick both have methods to achieve this.  Contact them,  it will cost but the cost is well worth it.  I use Michael method,  Perry uses Carrick's method.

7 minutes ago, KirkClemons said:

This is exactly what i am looking for.

to Kirk:

6 minutes ago, KirkClemons said:

One way you could to that is to store the output of the macro into a global variable, then call that variable with another macro. (video attached)

Global variables are denoted with the $ symbol.

1. Can you create a second Polyline for lets say on the 2nd floor? Then add the 1st and 2nd floors together and display that number?

2. Can you add another Polyline on Floor 1 for lets say the garage? Then display the garage polyline in the same text box as 1st and 2nd?

Thomas

2 minutes ago, tdroes82 said:

1. Can you create a second Polyline for lets say on the 2nd floor? Then add the 1st and 2nd floors together and display that number?

2. Can you add another Polyline on Floor 1 for lets say the garage? Then display the garage polyline in the same text box as 1st and 2nd?

1. Yes, your 'output' macro could simply add two global variables together and return the sum.

2. Yes, store the value of the Garage's area in a global variable and include that in your output macro.

Wow, this would be such a useful tool.  In Ontario, window sizes are governed by the floor size of a room.  For example, a living room must have, at a minimum, 10%, 5% for bedrooms, and 10% for dining rooms.

Being able to automatically create a table like this would be amazing.

1 hour ago, KirkClemons said:

1. Yes, your 'output' macro could simply add two global variables together and return the sum.

Kirk,

Can you tell me how to add two global variables together?

Here is what I have in my Output: %heated1Output% (add here) %bonusRoomOutput%
I can't seem to find how to add a "sum" or anything like that.

Thomas

I would really love to help some of you guys get into using Ruby and Text Macros more effectively.  The way I've seen it play out over the years though, you can either invest in a little one on one time with a good instructor (which I like to think I am) or you can try to slog through on your own and here in the forums, investing many mANY MANY hours to achieve the same results, or worse, spend all that time and make little to no progress at all...or even worser, spend all that time and end up more lost than before.  I really think I can help beginners and intermediate users get a good solid grasp on the basics though.  Please don't hesitate to shoot me an email to set up a consultation session if you're interested...

alaskansons@gmail.com

I think you'll be glad you did.

One thing that's important when using macros referencing values from different floors is that each view must be displayed in order to update the $global variables. 

Creating a comprehensive list of areas that can be accessed isn't trivial.  In my area analysis system I use a set of specifically named layers.  Each Polyline is on one of those named layers and the data is accumulated into a multi-dimensional array.  There are macros that calculate and display the data as desired.

It's fairly complicated and in order for an individual user to customize the results requires a little bit of Ruby coding knowledge - but only a little bit.

While Kirk's examples are accurate, they don't account for complex situations.

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I would really love to help some of you guys get into using Ruby and Text Macros more effectively.  The way I've seen it play out over the years though, you can either invest in a little one on one time with a good instructor (which I like to think I am) or you can try to slog through on your own and here in the forums, investing many mANY MANY hours to achieve the same results, or worse, spend all that time and make little to no progress at all...or even worser, spend all that time and end up more lost than before.  I really think I can help beginners and intermediate users get a good solid grasp on the basics though.  Please don't hesitate to shoot me an email to set up a consultation session if you're interested...

alaskansons@gmail.com

I think you'll be glad you did.

Michael,  maybe you could set up a "Fee Based Workshop" to teach us.  I would bet a bunch of folks would drop $20.00 for a class......  20 folks.....  $400.00.......  I bet in 2-4 hours you could get 'er done.....  (just so you folks know,  I have already paid Michael much more than that for the basics and it was well worth it)

I am using the macros on a current project.  2nd floor addition,  I am concerned with FAR,  Coverage, Impervious areas,  pervious areas etc.,  a slight change in the new floor area changes all of those results.  With the macros I get auto feedback what the new results are.  I can't imagine working without the macros.

20 minutes ago, dshall said:

Michael,  maybe you could set up a "Fee Based Workshop" to teach us.  I would bet a bunch of folks would drop $20.00 for a class......  20 folks.....  $400.00.......  I bet in 2-4 hours you could get 'er done....

Ya, I've considered that, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.  This particular subject has too many very specific little details to effectively teach in a short online group session IMO.  I'm relatively certain I wouldn't have time to address all necessary questions from that many people.  In many workshops, this isn't a real problem because a person can just keep following along and eventually get the idea.  With Ruby and text macros however, needs can vary greatly, the understanding curve can be huge, and it only takes one minor misunderstanding to get a person completely befuddled...then they're completely lost for the rest of the workshop. 

With a one-on-one approach we can take the time to properly address all those key points. 

Truth is that some users might be able to get from the proverbial Lesson 1 to the proverbial Lesson 9 in a single session whereas some users may only make it through Lesson 1...they would be better off for it though.  Better to walk away with a solid foundation in the "Lesson 1" basics then to walk away having been utterly confused and frustrated with Lessons 1 through 9 and no solid basis to build off. 

I still wonder about how a CAD program that can do all kinds of cool stuff automatically doesn't have the basic function of doing lot and house statistics without the user having to take classes on a programming language.  Every plan that I have done has this requirement by the building dept...

Why don't they buy a macro from one of the power users on here that works and add it to the base program???

Seems to me, adding another couple schedules to the current list would work.

• Upvote 2