Time to Show YOUR GOODIES!

Adrean

RayTrace with line drawing overlay. Be mindful that the OOB color for the line drawing is not actually black. I kept getting gray lines after the overlay until I realized that the black looking color was not black. The deep black allows you to adjust the opacity of the overlay layer a bit to finesse the image.

attachicon.giflower render final overlay A.JPG

P.S. How do you get the images to show larger than the thumbnails?

Alan,  did that go thru PS ala Jon Caffee,  it looks good.

This is a work in progress test render created in Octane Render and the kitchen was created in Chief X7.  I still have a lot to learn to be able to run Octane anywhere near it's potential, but I like working with it so far.

Specs:  Direct lighting mode, 2500 samples, 2 min 11 sec,  good image at 8 sec but I let it cook a bit.  Only have a single default light so far, that is why there is no ceiling showing.  Still a lot of details to finish up the kitchen design.  Just thought I would pass this image and info along.

post-228-0-80597300-1421804692_thumb.png

Chief can do a very nice job, yes.  Especially since the materials and lighting are already available in the program.  But, Chief does not have anywhere near the potential, at this point in time, where animations are concerned.  I also like using an interactive renderer that I can fly around in and have the image resolve to a fairly decent picture in under five seconds.

As GPU rendering advances and the cards get even more powerful I can see high quality animations being a lot more practical to produce.  One of the main reasons that I looked into an alternate program was because of the type of lighting that Chief uses.  No black body emmiters, no HDRI, in short, no physically based lighting.  What this means is that you can not get a physically correct image with this type of lighting.  A very nice image to be sure, but not physically correct.  I fought Chief's lighting trying to get interior renders to get the wall colors to look right with unsatisfactory results. I guess I just got tired of fighting it.

I have to use the advanced render modes to produce true color matches, which do take longer, but I can get the results I want.  I have not given up on Chief's renderer, but I am not spending much time with it these days.  This is just one more of those areas where Chief can not try to do everything and still keep pace with the industry.  Otoy has programers working around the clock focusing only on developing their rendering engine capabilties.

BTY the image above in Direct Lighting mode is not using the physcally based capabilities of the program.  There is probably no perfect solution available.  Octane is a professional use program and is a bit hard to learn as far as the advanced features go, but I intend on giving it a go.

It appears that it won't be long before Chief is the only Architectural Modeler on the market that does not have a plug in for Octane.  Not an island I want to be on, so I am taking the time to learn it now.

• Upvote 1

Rod, have you tried BunkSpeed? (http://www.bunkspeed.com/)  It's a hybrid GPU/CPU real-time render engine.  Anyway, very nice stuff from Octane.

This is me working on more line art technique...

I've ditched the Alien Skin Software in this shot and used CAX6-generated overlayed line art atop RT. Then a Levels adjustment layer above the RT layer with White levels reduced about 20%

jon

post-52-0-64380200-1421887101_thumb.jpg

No, I have not tried BunkSpeed, I have been playing with Blender's Cycles renderer though, it is also a hybrid.

I am getting a bit spoiled using Octane.  Me spoiled is not pretty.    :D

I still have a ton to learn about it's lighting setups, and I am actually still using Chief and it's materials more than I thought I would.  Chief has a lot of really nice features, I am just kind of charting a course for down the road now.

Anyone here use Corel's Painter for any of these special effects.  I will probably pick up Photoshop pretty soon, just too much going on right now though to get into that.

jon, I really like the lighting effect you achieved with Chief's render in that pic.  Nice, kind of reminds me of Impressionism, Renoir and Degas work has a similar look.

Todd:

Nice work.  I love the countertops ... look great ... and those pendant shades have a really nice shine to them.  Not sure I am a fan of the curved frig doors etc. but a really nice job with the overall design IMO.

Edit:  Are some of those cabinet panels suppose to be glass?  If so, I think they'd look better if you could see through them a bit.  If not, forget my comment.

Todd:

Nice work.  I love the countertops ... look great ... and those pendant shades have a really nice shine to them.  Not sure I am a fan of the curved frig doors etc. but a really nice job with the overall design IMO.

Edit:  Are some of those cabinet panels suppose to be glass?  If so, I think they'd look better if you could see through them a bit.  If not, forget my comment.

Those cabinets are to be a wire mesh, but I have not had the time to come up with a suitable texture that matches the client's choice. And then learn how to make it in Chief, I have been told how but I could not find a key DBX to create new material. But mostly it is the time right now as images like this are not a priority for the project.

overall nice job.  White kitchens are tough in Chief.  I tend to have specular set to 0 in properties for the white cabinet and use no photons as well.

I think you need to adjust the contrast brightness some to tone down the glare effect.  You might even consider turning off all lights except the sun and put a couple of 3D lights in the scene. Maybe turn up ambient light in the 3D tab.  IT will look too bright in standard render but will tone down in ray trace.  It really is a bit of an art from getting things right, especially with white cabinets.  IF you do turn of the recessed lights you can set their glass lens to about 80% emissive for effect.

This is a work in progress test render created in Octane Render and the kitchen was created in Chief X7.  I still have a lot to learn to be able to run Octane anywhere near it's potential, but I like working with it so far.

Specs:  Direct lighting mode, 2500 samples, 2 min 11 sec,  good image at 8 sec but I let it cook a bit.  Only have a single default light so far, that is why there is no ceiling showing.  Still a lot of details to finish up the kitchen design.  Just thought I would pass this image and info along.

Hi Rod,

What is Octane biggest advantage over V-Ray, C4D.. etc.?  What's the work-flow like from Chief to Octane?

Thanks

Octane is GPU only.  That means if you do not have a Cuda enable video card that is supported by the current version it does not work.  Octane is very new and is being developed quite rapidly.  Vray is a very nice engine so far as I know, but the reviews that I have seen like Octane a bit better.

Octanes claim to fame is that it is physically based and unbiased.  Very powerful yet time intensive process for CPU renderers.  Workflow is CA export to 3DS, Blender export to  obj.  There is a Plug In for Blender that I will probably pick up before long that would allow for physics features in animations from a Chief model.  Blender Cycles is worth a look as well, a bit spoiled already with Octane myself, but still intend to check it out.  Love to see a Plug In for Chief, not holding my breath.

The biggest advantage I have seen so far is speed for one, and the ability to fly around the scene "interactive interface" and as soon as you stop the camera the image is nice after 3-5 seconds.  I have had clients call it, and they both said 8 seconds was fine.  Nobody wants to wait on a standard render interface once they have seen Octane.  Basically real time ray tracing with clients present.  Higher setting will take longer of course. 

The disadvantage is learning how to run it at an advance level, very different from Chief.  Another disadvantage is not having materials readily available like we have in Chief.

overall nice job.  White kitchens are tough in Chief.  I tend to have specular set to 0 in properties for the white cabinet and use no photons as well.

I think you need to adjust the contrast brightness some to tone down the glare effect.  You might even consider turning off all lights except the sun and put a couple of 3D lights in the scene. Maybe turn up ambient light in the 3D tab.  IT will look too bright in standard render but will tone down in ray trace.  It really is a bit of an art from getting things right, especially with white cabinets.  IF you do turn of the recessed lights you can set their glass lens to about 80% emissive for effect.

What level of contrast brightness tends to work for no interior lights? Same for a level of ambient light?

Todd - The levels are something you have to play with based on your scene but I think the ambient up to about 70% -80% with no other lights on unless you have a dark area.

I would adjust the contrast afterwards just using the standard setting during the RT.  Usually not a big adjustment,

just tweaking.

Octane is GPU only.  That means if you do not have a Cuda enable video card that is supported by the current version it does not work.  Octane is very new and is being developed quite rapidly.  Vray is a very nice engine so far as I know, but the reviews that I have seen like Octane a bit better.

Octanes claim to fame is that it is physically based and unbiased.  Very powerful yet time intensive process for CPU renderers.  Workflow is CA export to 3DS, Blender export to  obj.  There is a Plug In for Blender that I will probably pick up before long that would allow for physics features in animations from a Chief model.  Blender Cycles is worth a look as well, a bit spoiled already with Octane myself, but still intend to check it out.  Love to see a Plug In for Chief, not holding my breath.

The biggest advantage I have seen so far is speed for one, and the ability to fly around the scene "interactive interface" and as soon as you stop the camera the image is nice after 3-5 seconds.  I have had clients call it, and they both said 8 seconds was fine.  Nobody wants to wait on a standard render interface once they have seen Octane.  Basically real time ray tracing with clients present.  Higher setting will take longer of course. 

The disadvantage is learning how to run it at an advance level, very different from Chief.  Another disadvantage is not having materials readily available like we have in Chief.

Rod.. thanks