TonyW123

Custom Tile Pattern

I have been searching for a simple 2D tile pattern that I'm unable to find anywhere on the Web (CA, 3rd party, manufacturer); although do have an inquiry with a national tile manufacturer to see if they have the desired pattern file which could be inserted into their manufacturer's Library. The tile pattern is as follows: 6"h/6"h/4"h, staggered/offset bond, lengths of tile/brick could be 12"-14"L. I'd be happy with just the horizontal joints, as verticals would be a bonus. Assistance is appreciated.

Tony

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think you need to show a pic. of it for anyone to make since of it.

• Upvote 1

While we are at it,  does  anybody have the pattern in the pic?  Notice the 33% offset.

Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 7.00.35 AM.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

Here is a good vid by CA dealing with finding materials on line.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10145/creating-custom-tile-materials.html 

However the solution for the PATTERN can be tedious.  

If anybody knows of a vid explaining how to make a custom pattern,  that would be super.

Here's a really good description of how pattern files work and how you can write them yourself without the need for any additional software...

http://www.apertedesign.com/2011/12/customizing-pat-files/

There are also a small handful of pattern file generators online.  Just do a quick search and you should probably find something you can use.  This guy (or gal) came up with a pretty ingenious method using excel...

http://www.cadhatch.com/hatch-pattern-generator/4588167700

• Upvote 2

Thanks, rlackore! Your'e da MAN!  ;) . I managed to update the wall component in order to see how it looks in model elevations and views. Thanks again! 

WallComponentChange1.JPG

WallComponentChange2.JPG

WallComponentChange3.JPG

While we are at it,  does  anybody have the pattern in the pic?  Notice the 33% offset.

Scott,

Is this just a cad detail that you need a fill pattern for.

Or do you need a material with a fill pattern  and a texture? 

Here is a fill pattern only for a cad detail.

Not perfect, but close.

New Image_203.jpg

Let me know if you need the material definition with fill pattern and texture.

If you do need the material with that fill pattern, you can apply the fill pattern to the object in plan (or elevation - depending where it was drawn) and then when you apply a material, it will take it's fill pattern (for a vector view) from the fill pattern you applied in the plan view.

• Upvote 1

Glenn,  This is great,  thanks a ton.

• Upvote 1

By default, Chief uses the same fill pattern that you used in the plan and uses it for the material.

You will see "(loaded from plan)" in the Define Material dbx..Pattern...Custom Pattern Options...File:

• Upvote 2

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EmilyChief
    Newest Member
    EmilyChief

• By Renerabbitt
      POST 0

You've found it! A thread offering up some of my favorite symbols and content for Chief Architect X-11.
      These items are for X-11 only. If you haven't updated yet I encourage you to do so, it's a great release.
      The following content is listed by category with both a link to the post within this thread for easy navigation and a link to a direct download if you won't to cut straight to the chase. new/recent uploads are in RED font
      CLICK ON THE "DL" FOR INSTANT .CALIBZ DOWNLOAD:

CONSTRUCTION ASSEMBLIES/ARCHITECTURAL ITEMS:
      RABS 42 CABLE RAILING - DL    RABS MODERN FRONT DOOR AND DOOR ASSEMBLY - DL   RABS INTEGRATED SINK - DL NEW!!! 03/26/2020  
      ENTOURAGE:
      RABS CHARLES-HILL GROUPED LIVING ROOM - DL RABS CHELTON GROUPED LIVING ROOM - DL    ACCESSORY HOME #1 - DL ACCESSORY HOME #2 - DL ACCESSORY HOME #3 - DL  
      KITCHEN RELATED:
      3-ISLANDS - DL LA CORNUE 1908 RANGE - DL CAFE APPLIANCES, PAINTABLE(CORRECTED) - DL  
      LIGHTING:
      PENDANTS AND SCONCES - DL-1 - DL-2 - DL-3 - DL-4 RECESSED NC HALO 4 INCH LED WITH HOUSING - DL NEW!! 03-22-20  
      MATERIALS:
      TILE AND COUNTERTOPS #1 - DL 1(ONEDRIVE LINK) - DL-2 CUSTOM WHITES WITH PAINT TOOLBAR ICONS - DL-1 - DL-2 - DL-3 - DL-4 - DL-5 - DL-6 RABS RUGS 1V1 - DL          RABS STARTER KITCHEN MATERIALS PACK - DL         RABS FLOORING PACK 1 - DL            RABS OLD GOLDEN OAK FLOOR - DL     
      SYMBOLS:
      FIREPLACE ASSEMBLY 1 - DL     ACKLES BED AND EDISON TABLE LAMP - DL-1 - DL - 2 TEAPOT MATERIAL EDITOR REPLACEMENT - DL-1 - DL-2 FINMARK TABLE FROM CB2 - DL FIREPLACE MANTLES 1 AND 2 - DL    RABS STRETCHABLE PICTURE FRAMES - DL     

VIDEOS: 
      YouTube Channel  
      Many of these I have personally made or modified. Some of the content may have been created by others for which I will give credit. Many of the materials have free licensing, so no credit is needed. 
      Some of this content may slow down your program as I have a high powered machine and often times use complex and high resolution textures. I will try and give as much detail as possible. Use at your own peril!

No but seriously dig through and enjoy, I've spent a good number of hours ensuring the quality of these symbols and will update them periodically- so CHECK BACK IN! and PLEASE GIVE A LIKE FOR THE POST OF ANY SYMBOL YOU LIKE, IT ENCOURAGES ME TO GO BACK AND REFINE/REDUCE/OPTIMIZE THAT SYMBOL. GIVE A DOWNVOTE AND IT'LL PROBABLY ENCOURAGE ME TO DO THE SAME THING...YOU'LL JUST BE A JERK FOR IT

CHANGELOG:(PACIFIC TZ)
      Page 1:
        Post 0:
      02-12-2019- 4:45PM: Removed the poll, migrated this thread. re-uploaded from X11 public beta 02-20-2019-2:59PM: Added a Poll for user content requests 03-30-2020-6:49PM: Deleted Video Links and added link to YouTube Channel   Post 5:
      02-12-2019- 4:45PM: centered the hearth on the symbol   Post 18:
      02-12-2019-9:52PM: Posted and fixed DL links  

Here is a symbol to get you started:
      @Cheryl_C_Crane Think you requested this,

RUSTIC BRICK 2.calibz
      Number of Textures: 2
      Map size: 1024x1024
      Filesize: 3.13 MB

• By Aamir77
      Hi,
      I want to make a 2d drawing of this shed. if someone could guide with a video demonstration. Please help

• By carowe
      Is there a way to download a picture of a tile from a manufacturer's website and create a material?  I am trying to use the attached pics of tiles for a backsplash in a kitchen and have followed the instructions on the videos, but cannot get the tile to align properly.  I have attached pictures of the two tiles I'd like to show the client, and a picture of what happens when I try to use the material.
      Thanks!

• By MN_JohnH
      I am wondering if there is a simple way of aligning the custom tile in a custom backplash? In the attached drawing I have created two custom tiles for this hypothetical shower. The big tile is 24x24 and I would like to have it go 5' up on the wall and then have a 12" deco strip of 2x2 tile and then more of the larger tile above that to the ceiling. Problem is I want a full tile on the top of the 5' high lower part, (the half cut would be on the bottom), and then start with a full tile on top of the deco strip. And my deco strip is 2x2 tile, I made it as a 12x12 square of 2x2 tile and yet it doesn't line up as full tile on the top and bottom edges...
      Tile alignment.plan
    • By RRFDesign
      Hi - I want to create a tile layout like the sketch below - I have tried to modify a poly line, but it is incredibly hard, I am having a hard time "trimming" or "connecting lines"