GeneDavis

The 1/16" dimensions of my octagonal feature

My dilemma is this.  I had to put an octagonal "silo" feature on a barn per the client's request, and I used CAD to guide me, drawing an octagon with 4'0" sides.

Now I have the whole thing built, framing included, and it is time to dimension for layout.  I go auto dimension and the plan is full of dimensions to the 1/16".  Having built houses and never having seen plans done to the sixteenth, I wonder what to do.

Is this just the nature of bay and polygons in plans drawing?  Do the builders complain, or just work it out?

post-55-0-85736100-1472773285_thumb.png

You can round off the dimensions if you like but it would be better to give the drawings to a builder with a sharp pencil if it is to be built correctly.  Maybe you don't need to include all the dimensions.

post-4797-0-63211100-1472776482_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't all your sides be 4'-0" which would make those dimensions in that manner or am I missing something

Gene:

I would do these to the best of my ability - get frustrated

and send them to my partner to "fix"

in a case like this you "probably" should be able to get all sides to 4' exactly

if not, setting one to round to the nearest 1" would "probably" be ok

as the builder should use the stated dim and not try to scale from the drawing

but if it's a "critical" area ???

Lew

I think that looks fine but if you were to give the 9' 7 7/8" overall would you need the 2' 9 15/16" dimensions 4x ? And maybe extend your center lines back towards the side walls with a dashed line style.

Gene:

I saw this type of situation many times

my partner Joe was able to fix them every time

I couldn't - but he could

for me it was like pushing Jello

I'd send him the plan and a few minutes later - done

Lew

You might try changing the dimensioning format as shown:

post-50-0-62460100-1472816637_thumb.png

If it were my plan, I would give them the length of each side and the interior angle that they would use to cut the mitres...I would leave the others off as that dim isn't important in the construction. Sides and angles.

...I would leave the others off as that dim isn't important in the construction. Sides and angles.

I disagree,  the extra dimensions are a part of laying out the foundation....  they are also a part of the overall dimensions.

How about dimensions that look like this. It would work for both framing and foundation.

post-130-0-75821300-1472819743_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Scott.  

What I did was select only the dimensions or strings that had the 1/16" accuracy, and changed the format to only go as fine as 1/8".  What happened is as shown here.

Only the mathematicians in the foundation-building crew or the framing crew would say that it is wrong.  Doing an octagon in a 9'-8" square results in sides that are about 1/32" longer than 4'-0". 

post-55-0-49780000-1472827652_thumb.png