Wall Sections and Details - Tip

Joe_Carrick

Here's a method that I've adopted for creating Wall Sections & Details (Door, Window, Etc) that I really like:

1. I Start with my Detail Plan.

2. I select the Wall Type from my Library (I like the new feature of saving Wall Types in the Library)

3. I draw a section of the Wall vertically. Make sure you have the Wall Layers Displayed

4. I set it's length (Framing Height)

5. I add a couple of 2x plates (CAD Blocks) at the top and one at the bottom (for a stud framed wall)

6. Insert a Window in the Wall (I like to use fixed Windows) and add a rough sill plate and a header.

7. Add Insulation in the wall as needed.

That's the basics. It's really fast and accurate.

I then add finish trim, annotation using Text with Leader Lines, Dimensions, etc.

ps: I do not include or display casings on the inserted Door or Window because Chief draws them from the Plan View orientation rather than the Section View. I add those elements as separate CAD Blocks as appropriate.

• Upvote 2

BTW, You can create a horizontal wall (define wall type to match the floor/ceiling construction) and use it in your detail as the Floor.  IOW, Wall Type constructed of 3/4" Plywd, 2x12 Fir Framing, 5/8" Drywall becomes a Floor.  You can even use the framing tools to put in the plates, joists, etc - but I prefer using my own CAD Blocks.

IAE, I've never been particularly happy with "CAD Detail from View".

• Upvote 1

Actually I really don't draw many cad details, if any, these days. I try to find one from my lib, that's close and modift then save it for the future.

Right, but ofcourse my details are stored in Detail Plan Files as CAD Details.

Basically I'm using this as an easy way to create Full Wall Sections that are unique to a specific design.  Occasionally I wil need a new large scale Window or Door Detail.

Yes, I really don't do door or window sections as I'm not even sure what the contractor is putting in b/c the homeowner hasn't selected it yet, most of the time.

Ahh.....

See, I detail those because that's how I want it to be built.  But I don't do much work for Contractors - usually they either work for my clients or directly for me if I'm my own client.  :D

I don't get specific on the manufactured door or window in the detail, but how the casings and trim are done is another thing entirely.

• 1 year later...

Just curious-

I have a new client that is building in a high end resort here in Central Oregon an the ARC there wants details on everything.

Not that it's a big deal but it seems like the scale they are requesting is odd.

Rake and Eave details 1 1/2" =1'

Exterior window and door -head, jamb and sill details 3"=1'

foundation details 1 1/2" = 1'

In general -they are freaking huge when sent to layout.

Unless I am missing something?

Any ideas?

Just curious-

I have a new client that is building in a high end resort here in Central Oregon an the ARC there wants details on everything.

Not that it's a big deal but it seems like the scale they are requesting is odd.

Rake and Eave details 1 1/2" =1'

Exterior window and door -head, jamb and sill details 3"=1'

foundation details 1 1/2" = 1'

In general -they are freaking huge when sent to layout.

Unless I am missing something?

Any ideas?

It depends on how much detail you're showing. If the window details are showing how the flashing wraps, and the backer rod and sealant, etc,, then I don't think the scales are out of the question.

I realized that the window and door details are individual cut sections- no big deal there- just a waste of time IMO.

The foundation, rake and eave details seem ridiculous.

At 1/2" scale my standard fdn wall detail with callout and notes is about 6" square- and they want 1-1/2" scale.

18"x18"- really?

I mean I would only get 6 details on 1 page of ARCH E

Here are some examples. Could they be done smaller? Sure, but I think the scales work. Again, it's how much you need to show. It's also personal preference. It's also depends on the client's expectations (in your case the ARC), the project, and how much you trust the builder.

post-95-0-30186900-1438782023_thumb.png post-95-0-66155500-1438782029_thumb.png

Joe, sorry to hijack the thread. In reference to your OP, I have a library of CAD building blocks (roof components at various pitches, walls with plates, etc.) and plop these into a CA section, modify as required with wall finishes, special notes, etc. I grumbled a lot when I cut my first CA section - I was expecting a lot more. But, I have to admit that even though a CA section isn't a finished product (IMO), it does provide a good starting point.

That's pretty much where I am at with this.

I just cut a section and am editing as needed.

The manf. website all provide too  much tech info for the window itself.

What i am after is really the flashing and trim details and specs.

Oh well- once it's done it's done and I will have them in my library.

I realized that the window and door details are individual cut sections- no big deal there- just a waste of time IMO.

The foundation, rake and eave details seem ridiculous.

At 1/2" scale my standard fdn wall detail with callout and notes is about 6" square- and they want 1-1/2" scale.

18"x18"- really?

I mean I would only get 6 details on 1 page of ARCH E

Not sure what you're missing, but 1 1/2 is a common scale for these details. (3 is not uncommon for intricate trim details) Especially for high end projects. Heck, I've eve done full scale trim details in the past.

I easily get 10+ details at 1 1/2 to fit on a sheet. 

post-65-0-11739600-1438795652_thumb.jpg