A Little More Anno Set Basics

HumbleChief

I believe the Anno-set concept was a good solution to the existing framework CA had in place, but I can tell you that other apps which deal with the same problems have a lot easier system to understand and control.

If anyone wants me to provide a quick vid on how VW deals with the same issues, please let me know. I can tell you I never had an issue learning that system, but the CA system is very difficult to track sometimes....but admit that Wendy's recent vid helped a lot.

Scott, I love your presentation style, but if anyone wants to watch the anno-set series he did on Anno-sets/layerselts/MRLS located at ChiefTutor.com, it will give you a good testimony to an intermediate user's view of this process.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

...... but if anyone wants to watch the anno-set series he did on Anno-sets/layerselts/MRLS located at ChiefTutor.com, it will give you a good testimony to an intermediate user's view of this process.

Ouch,  that hurt JPC,  but probably well deserved,  thanks for putting me in my place.

BTW,  a couple of good games tonight,  I will pick the Eagles over the Falcons and I will pick the 49ers's over the Vikings......  

Seemed like an undeserved kick in the nuts to me. 

Maybe,  maybe not,  interesting that I did those videos 4.5 years ago and we are now discussing how to use  anno sets.  Are there any other videos or incisive threads that came up in the last 4.5 years in regards to how to utilize anno sets and the MRLS ?

I stand by those vids,  I still use the technique to this day,  is there a better or more efficient way to use them?  If so,  I am all ears,  we intermediate users need all the help we can get.

Anno Set for Dummies  

they aren't the best vids,  but then I ain't the smartest guy around.

Ouch, that hurt JPC, but probably well deserved, thanks for putting me in my place.

BTW, a couple of good games tonight, I will pick the Eagles over the Falcons and I will pick the 49ers's over the Vikings......

I guess I have clarify. Scott at the time was an intermediate user (wasn't that like 3-4 years ago?)...today he is a pro. Those videos helped me a lot, and I am sure Scott knows how thankful I am on his time and efforts - - and this isn't to say his method wasn't effective since his stumbling through things is more matched to my stumbling through things in CA, so its MUCH more informative than a typical tutorial.

My only point was that there wasn't fluid tutorial since the process is semi-complex. Again, id rather have it be "real" than making something look easy that really isnt.

I guess I have clarify. Scott at the time was an intermediate user (wasn't that like 3-4 years ago?)...today he is a pro. Those videos helped me a lot, and I am sure Scott knows how thankful I am on his time and efforts - - and this isn't to say his method wasn't effective since his stumbling through things is more matched to my stumbling through things in CA, so its MUCH more informative than a typical tutorial.

My only point was that there wasn't fluid tutorial since the process is semi-complex. Again, id rather have it be "real" than making something look easy that really isnt.

No worries,  JPC,  I know what you are saying,  you are one of the best at not taking things too personal and that is what it is all about, let's all learn together..

No worries,  JPC,  I know what you are saying,  you are one of the best at not taking things too personal and that is what it is all about, let's all learn together..

Thanks bud....  you know i'd love to know 1/2 the stuff you know about CA.

(PS - another clarify for people who didn't understand what I said, in some of your Annoset/Layerset/MRLS vids you talking about how confusing it was, and my point is that you provide a testimony of the confusion in a Scott Hall version of you 3-4 years ago....which is why I said "intermediate" user.)

I'm not sure what I'm doing but it may be related to having similar anno sets, or it may be related to moving quickly between views.  I'll try to pull something together but am out straight right now. 

BTW, this is exactly about fine tuning the system.  I can work with it as is, but if I am annoyed by this behavior, what are new users thinking?

Thanks for backing me up Scott!

Would anyone mind sharing where they place architectural notes?

In plans I've done in CA, I've had specific layersets that were activated by the Annosets, which then had an activation of the specific text layer for each architectural "sheet" I had in a file. I would actually have Annosets named "A-1 Floor Plan" etc.

Watching Wendy's videos it would appear she doesn't do it that way, so I am curious how others get that done.

For those describing a difficulty and having trouble getting it across in words - a video can really help.  Jing is free - 5 minute limit - google Techsmith to get it.  I don't own stock in them, just like to understand things.  There are probably other free or low cost options.

The Jing download is available for Windows or Mac., Jing is Snag-It's little Brother, and works well , they have a good tutorial page to get you started too.

https://www.techsmit.../download/jing/

and the Jing Tutorials Page too

https://www.techsmit...orial-jing.html

Johnny, I too am still having a problem with architectural notes. I have had at least 6 different suggestions but, to be honest, after trying a few, I am still in the dark as to a simple way. Plans are getting done but the notes are taking too long. VWs note database now seems like a wonderful item that I miss daily.

I currently have them on their own layer and am trying to work them into the proper layer sets. I haven't found any info on how Chief handles these for future plans. I do understand I can use the SAM method but I prefer not having notes for every style of building and having to pick and choose from a huge array. Having a huge library file also seems time consuming. Maybe a new thread required???

I put my standard notes in Text Boxes on the Layout Pages.

There are 2 places that notes can easily be stored, named for easy identification:

1.  Standard Text Files (.txt)

a.  copy/paste from the .txt file to a Text Box in Layout

b.  if you use a Rich Text Box you can format the text

c.  the text can be edited directly in the Text Box

2.  Macros (non evaluated) - located in the Layout, not in the Plan

a.  Insert the macro in the Text Box

b.  The text in the macro can be modified for each Project

Would anyone mind sharing where they place architectural notes?

In plans I've done in CA, I've had specific layersets that were activated by the Annosets, which then had an activation of the specific text layer for each architectural "sheet" I had in a file. I would actually have Annosets named "A-1 Floor Plan" etc.

Watching Wendy's videos it would appear she doesn't do it that way, so I am curious how others get that done.

I put notes that I use all the time in a simple text macro, the good thing about that ,is when you change the macro note it automatically changes everything in the plan and layout also. Change one place only.

Johnny, I too am still having a problem with architectural notes. I have had at least 6 different suggestions but, to be honest, after trying a few, I am still in the dark as to a simple way. Plans are getting done but the notes are taking too long. VWs note database now seems like a wonderful item that I miss daily.

I currently have them on their own layer and am trying to work them into the proper layer sets. I haven't found any info on how Chief handles these for future plans. I do understand I can use the SAM method but I prefer not having notes for every style of building and having to pick and choose from a huge array. Having a huge library file also seems time consuming. Maybe a new thread required???

I'm not understanding the term 'architectural notes' as it seems a bit all encompassing to me. Do you mean plan specific notes? General notes that pertain to most plans? Boiler plate notes that appear on all Layouts?

Plan specific notes obviously need to live within a plan file, either on the plan sheet itself, positioned to show properly on the Layout Sheet or in a CAD detail that's been sent to Layout. Hard for me to see how to avoid plan specific notes being in the plan file and keeping track of them. A Layer with a name you can remember works pretty well. I've got (at least) 3 different layers for my plan text. Separate layer for my room labels, general text, plan notes, maybe more.

General notes that pertain to most plans? They can live on a Layout page and be modified as needed and positioned where one chooses. That Layout page can contain multiple notes and classes of notes. What I've done over the years is added note after note after note with each plan check as each plan checker asks for a new note and now I have an almost complete Layout page with a bunch of notes that should satisfy any plan checker. If they are in a macro and the text changes Perry's macro idea should work but I'm too simple minded to add macros to my skill set.

Boiler plate I treat the same as above. Just stored on my Layout page and added/positioned within the Layout as needed.

You can put them anywhere you want even in the layout, as Joe was saying. they are not plan specific. Copy or import your macros to your template plans and layout as you want, if you just copy a bunch of text macros to another plan, the macro automatically comes along for the ride. Try it, just copy the macro text from another plan to your plan and you are done. Similar to copying walls, the wall definition auto comes along for the ride

I guess I meant each macro lives in each plan file not in a general location like preferences so if you want to use them again you have to copy/import them from one plan to another. Just so people know they are not like preferences that effect each and every plan but are indeed plan specific and need to be copied/imported to be used again.

I will read through all this tonight but thought I should clarify. By Architectural Notes, I mean the plan specific notes I place on cross-sections, etc. that explain the structure or other features of the plan. They are sometimes quite long, as in a floor structure note or frost wall explanation. All of them are plan specific but can be reused or adjusted for future drawings. Depending on the design and location, these can vary considerably.

Right now I have a block of notes that I bring in from the library, explode and then place where required. I then delete the extra ones not required in that view. It works but is time consuming but I guess I could copy, paste and make an assortment of blocks or do a library plan that I could copy and paste from. Just not sure what to do in the long term to make things go easier.

My contractor like my plan style and I don't want to alter the appearance by using callouts and lists, which they don't like.

I do have all of my general notes and boiler plate notes already on my template layouts. They are fine.

Johnny may want something entirely different......