Elevation & Section Enhancements

Joe_Carrick

I'm pretty slow when it comes to this tweak of the black and white elevation views having heavier line weights as shown by the above people.

So I take a standard "elevation camera view" and I turn on my Layer set and annoset for elevations. In the annoset dialog for layer control

we then turn on just want we want for elevations, but to get the line weights we then adjust things like "roof planes" to a thicker line weight?

but I don't see the layer name for roof hatching to turn that to a grey tone?  I do for walls and wall hatching.  Although the line weight ends up

light for roof hatching, I'm just not sure how that happened.

I see I've got that wall hatching confused with the plan view interior hatching.  So I'm not sure how to set line weights in elevation views. Could

someone do a screen shot of the dialog box to show and example of changing to the roof and walls?

The shingle pattern is defined via the material's dialog box.  Go to the shingle material's pattern tab and change the line color to light grey.  It will then show in elevation as light grey.  The same is true for your siding--set the pattern in it's material dialog box.

When you send to layout you should uncheck 'Use Line Edge Defaults' and Use Pattern Line Defaults' to allow the material definitions to determine the colors and allow the specified layer set definitions to show on the layout page.  With those box checked it's a flat drawing using only the two line weights specified in those two check boxes.

You can adjust a line drawing squiggled to get kind of a hand drawn look, but I really use a watercolor with lines and shadows to get a pretty cool look. One thing in that method, I don't use a lot of the line shaping tool to get a cleaner look to it

Thank you for this suggestion, but when I make some tweaks with line shaping, after closing it doesn't set as default. So for another camera I have to do it again. Is there a way to set defaults for cameras? Fox example Glass House View I would like to have more black white, not blue colour, but it changes back after I close the camera.

Is there a way to set defaults for cameras? Fox example Glass House View I would like to have more black white, not blue colour, but it changes back after I close the camera.

Try this...

Edit>Default Settings>Camera>Rendering Technique>Glass House>  make and save adjustments

Other defaults can be adjusted from Rendering Technique too.

• 9 months later...

Joe, I threw in the towel on line weights in elevation when I decided to go with "live everything." Sometimes I will use Edit Layout Lines to erase the hatch or change the line weights on part of the building farther away from the viewpoint. Even with repeating the editing of layout lines after an update, live elevations are still a time saver over cad elevations.

Recently I've experimented with putting a shaded image behind elevations for depth. I bump up the brightness and contrast to control he amount of detail.

post-65-0-64179200-1444137974_thumb.jpg

I should have added to my post above that if you go directly to the Chief website to view the video shown in the pic (#1908), the segment illustrating the method for modifying line weights is toward the end of the video, which covers a number of conference topics. The download I posted covers just that segment.

I also use layer/anno sets for my live elevations. All line weights controlled before sent to layout.

hi, just have couple Q. on your drawing posted.

1. how did you create your Down spouts??

is that 3D object or CAD line drawn into the elevation??

2. the hidden lines below grade, is that CAD line as well?

thanks,

post-1340-0-12279500-1444276014_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2015 at 5:11 AM, joey_martin said:

Downspouts are in the library, all line weight, size and color controlled via layer/anno sets.

Am looking for the downspouts you mentioned. Oddly missing and no discussions. Can you point me in the right direction?