Chief Forum Tips

Rich_Winsor

How do ya’ll deal with remembering all the valuable tips presented here on the forum on an almost daily basis. I know personally I used to just take note of them as I was reading them and then hope I could remember them or at least go back and re-read them when I had a need for the info. Of course that approach proved to be unreliable at best and unworkable the rest of the time. Between my feeble memory and the sketchiness of the search features I seldom could navigate back to the content I was looking for. Then in a moment of enlightenment, I stumbled upon a simple “no brainer” solution. I may be the last one to figure this out but all I did was to create a folder I call “Chief Forum Tips” and now whenever I come across a tip I want to remember I simply capture it using the Windows Snipping Tool, give it a name that is germane to the content, and save it to my Forum Tips folder. Now I have all the info together in an easily searchable location. I can just peruse the folder using the Windows Explorer preview panel to view the tips or I can use the Windows Search feature and I only have to search one folder instead of my whole hard drive or all of the internet. Another advantage of this system is that I have the info in MY POSSESSION so that in the event that the info is no longer available on the forum (as in the Old Forum going away) I still can have easy access to it. Anyhoo, you’ve probably already figured this out for yourselves but sometimes it can’t hurt to state the obvious.

post-126-0-73752500-1429905862_thumb.png

If you use Chrome and Google Drive, you can save the entire web page as a .png file directly to your Google Drive with one click. You could also print the entire web page to a pdf using a PDF printer.

I'm not bashing your method - just throwing out some alternatives that may eliminate a step or two.

We should all try to do a better job at tagging our posts so that the search features already in ChiefTalk would be more effective. Everything we need is already here in one place, just need to be able to get at it quick & fast. Offline? who's offline these days? The next generation will need to check with the worlds leading authority on nomenclature & standards Wikipedia to learn what offline means (have to read the post on "120V Electrical") :)

create a folder on the desktop

then when a good thread is found

right click in any "white space" and select "create shortcut"

this will put a shortcut on the desktop

then drag the shortcut to the Chieftalk folder

within the folder create as many folders as needed for topics etc

Lew

I think one of the things we recently leaned is that a shortcut to the forum is not going to give you a lasting link.

I tend to prefer Microsoft's OneNote over Evernote, because of it's deep integration with Windows, OneDrive, and DropBox: and more importantly all of the content is searchable.  OneNote has become the killer App for Windows; especially if you're using a touch, and/or handwriting enabled device.

I think the key is to actually clip the pertinent thread, or posts; rather than depending on Chief for them to always be available.