Calling All Terrain Gurus (In X7)

dshall

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

I consider myself pretty good with terrains.  Terrains can be a bit quirky,  however I can usually get the terrain to work.

But I have had two projects recently where the terrains are not behaving.

Has anybody else experienced this.  Is anybody out there doing terrains and having difficulties with terrains in X7?

Larry, I experienced the same thing with the re-draw, I thought it was me doing something wrong. Also sometimes the terrain would go nuts maybe thats what Scott's misbehavior is.

With that said I'm not that good with the terrains to begin with, but thanks to you Larry and that video you posted it helped alot, but still if I try to do something on the bigger scale with lots of elevation changes ooh Man, I have a lot more to learn.

A nice webinar or a video from pros or even CA staff would definitely help for many of us I'm sure.

No problems here.

Post the plan!

Mark's advice is good - and that's why I don't use elevation points.

They are too hard to keep track of and difficult to use.

An elevation line is the same as using a string of elevation points spaced at 2' 0" centres.

They don't re-draw all the time which can be very confusing when moving data points/regions but otherwise I depend on the real gurus to get me through.

Here's an idea. Post the plan. :)

Larry,

Are you saying that even though you have Auto Rebuild Terrain toggled on, the terrain is not auto updating?

I have never seen this - but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen! :)

Okay guys,  have at it.  The terrain consists of 3 items.  

1 terrain and 2 terrain elevation regions. There is a dip in  front of garage door (not good),   and the terrain on the left hand side of house should be 8" below the slab (it is about 18" above the slab).  

Delete any of the two terrain regions, and the terrain behaves.

BBB SAVAGE PLAN 3 junk 2 POST 1.plan.zip

Larry,

Are you saying that even though you have Auto Rebuild Terrain toggled on, the terrain is not auto updating?

Yes. I was working on a plan and noticed nothing was changing in my overview as I changed elevation regions etc. Happened again while adjusting regionss right before Chief crashed. I just keep an eye on it now and if it stops redrawing I'll save, close and re-open the plan.

Scott, Pretty weird stuff.

If you copy paste/hold your elevation regions & features to a blank plan, select your terrain perimeter & “convert to plain polyline”, then reconvert it back to a terrain perimeter, bring back your elev regions & features, it all builds correctly.

I have maintained for a while now that Chief has a “memory”(bad) when building some things.  Chief dudes won’t own up to that tho. Kinda like the “save” & archives not always working like it should. They won’t admit to that either.

Holy cow! You get up early.

This is a comment from a Buddy who looked at the same plan.  I think he nailed it when he said  

I have maintained for a while now that Chief has a “memory”(bad) when building some things.

I agree,  if CA has this memory,  it can definitely cause problems.  This might be an explanation as to why some of my terrains do not behave correctly.  

However I do understand that there is a need for a "memory".....  i.e.  temporarily make a wall non room def for a room that does not have a default floor elevation,  and then make the wall a room def wall....  I would want the room to remember my non default floor elevation.    A slippery slope for sure.

Bottom line,  I need to be able to clear the terrain "memory" if this is the cause of my terrain problem.

• Solution

Sott,

Easy peasy.

Uncheck "Flatten Pad".

This setting is fighting with your Elevation Regions. 

If you want a flat area for the building to sit on - use an Elevation Region.

edit: I just read the above post - posted at the same time.

terrain memory - baloney!

post-106-0-32523600-1429622185_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sott,

Easy peasy.

Uncheck "Flatten Pad".

This setting is fighting with your Elevation Regions. 

If you want a flat area for the building to sit on - use an Elevation Region.

edit: I just read the above post - posted at the same time.

terrain memory - baloney!

Genius at work again.  Thanks Glenn!

I use the SAM,  so my defaults remain static from plan to plan.  I did go back to check some older plans and FLATTEN PAD was unchecked  (good),  so I suppose at one point while editing THIS plan,  I checked the FLATTEN PAD box for some reason.

Again,  thanks Glenn for the fix,  easy peasy.

Larry,

I didn't get any sound on the 2 videos you posted.

Yeah, Sorry had to get rid of those, too early for my brain. I found some terrain data after deleting the elvation. Didn't seem like it belonged there. Is that normal? Or should the perimeter, without regions always be void of terrain data contour lines?

Looks like you have it solved - sort of. Did you intend for the terrain to be so low at the entry?

http://www.screencast.com/t/VF0L1K55q

Larry,  I watched your 3rd vid,  you deleted the two terrain regions and  observed contours,  no flat pad.  I downloaded the same plan as you,  I deleted the TERRAIN ELEVATION REGIONS,  and I did not get any contour lines.  My pad was flat.  

Something is going wrong with your computer......  I think it has to do with the auto rebuild terrain which I have checked 24/7.  Somehow,  your auto rebuild terrain is not working.

Scott and Larry,

Larry, they are not elevation data, they are auto generated contour lines and they should disappear when the elevation regions are deleted.

I have been having a play and have discovered that if you only have a plan open, the contours will not update when the elevation data is changed.

As soon as you have a 3D view opened (not necessarily displayed), the auto contour lines update as soon as the terrain elevation data is changed.

Indeed, weird.

I will send in a bug report.

I believe that this could explain why some users are reporting that the terrain is not updating automatically when it should.

I think the terrain is updating OK - it's just that the contours aren't updating without a 3D view being open..