Complicated Roof Troubles!

Rosco2017

Well I thought I had this plan under control. Now I'm having issues with a few areas above my garage in my bonus room, and I can't seem to get the roof correct over my two area's in the back of my house. I will attach a link to a video of what my roof should look like, and some pics of what I want to accomplish. http://www.screencast.com/t/nleY4TVXj2iQ If it's not to much trouble, please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I need to do, to avoid these issues in the future. I've got nothing better to do on a Saturday evening then to iron out theses issues. Thank you for your time!

post-58-0-02629200-1428796990_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-26825300-1428796991_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-29439500-1428796993_thumb.png

post-58-0-04162900-1428797000_thumb.png

Ross & Chase Dietzer Residence.zip

Ross,  it looks like you have a lot of things going on; auto roofs has a completely different look; I modified some of your walls and roof pitches (4/12)  to get close to what you may be looking for.

1. add attic wall and modify in 3D

2. used auto roofs with 4/12

3. changed some of your walls

4. lowered roof 12"

post-14-0-04782000-1428804233_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-20085700-1428804240_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-01681100-1428804251_thumb.jpg

Ross & Chase Dietzer Residence-sh.zip

http://artsandcraftshomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Robinson.jpg

You are after an Arts and Crafts look with auto roof returns and barge end splays is that right?

Over the curved bay window you could bring out a projected gabel or a multi hip projection same too for the other bay window. If you experiment and show your client, let them choose what they prefer?

Check out the roofing video's to see how to do this.

So far Scott H has been tidying up your roof model very well?

I would make your model even more complicated and more Arts and Craft with a low broken pitch or dual pitch roof close down to the external walls.

Or curve the roof over the curved bay window like this picture above?

You might have a big job on your hands with this curved roof section part in CA, try get a curved polyline solid to do the roof and the curved fascia to see if it is possible?

Well worth the effort to reproduce a feature like this if it is possible in CA?

Nice work Scott. Was wondering did you lock all the roof planes but the 2 affected planes, then used auto roof at 4:12?

Larry: I did an auto build roof, then copied only the handful of new roof planes I wanted, then did an undo and pasted in place the roof planes.

Larry: I did an auto build roof, then copied only the handful of new roof planes I wanted, then did an undo and pasted in place the roof planes.

Good tip for such things. I think David P was using a similar technique but using a separate plan. I'll remember this one, thanks.

David,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to do that video for me. I haven't used "Auto Build Roofs" since I switched from Home Designer Pro 9.0 to Chief Architect Premier. I also avoid using the "Bay Window" tools. I find them finicky for a lack of a better word. That was a curved wall with 5 windows in it. I did however find your idea of copying the curved walls into a different plan and then using the "Auto Build Roof" tool to generate the roof, and then copying then roof planes back to the original plan very helpful. I did have the same problem copying the curved wall into a new plan... That baffles my mind. Thank you again for your time.

Ray,

I thought I replied back to you last night but I guess I didn't hit "Post". I set the Fascia height to match the 2nd floor, and then copied the Ridge height and just accepted the pitch.

Mark,

That you for the time you put into this. I really appreciate it.

Scott,

I met with the builder today and we sat down for a few hours and hammered with plan out. He basically told me how he would build the roof and I just followed his lead. In the end we came out with what you pretty much had. Thank you for your time.

Mthd97,

I am the client! LOL I am going for a Craftsman style kind of look. I wanted something laid back and traditional, and my significant other wanted something elaborate and grand. Guess who won? LOL I'm going to start on the exterior this evening and see what I come up with. I'm worried that it's going to look like a mixture of styles. To me it already does. But I was told to leave it the way it was. In my relationship, I just give in. That way I don't have to listen to it in the end! LOL

In closing, thank you to all who took the time to help me on this. I really appreciate you time and efforts to help me come up with a solution. Have a great Sunday Everyone!!!

-Rosco

Wife Client, yeah thats a tough gig, have fun with it and in the end its your own mix.

You can use the barrel roof tool for curved roof if you make that choice.

You can search the styles you like online to pick up some ideas too?