Site Plan Question

JKEdmo

Good morning,

Working on a large new house on a large lot.  I'll have to develop the site plan soon.

Should I include the site work as part of the house plan file or draw it up separately and bring it in as a reference display?

I suspect there's a chance that the house will move on the site before we finalize its location.  My inclination is to keep the site plan as a separate file.

What do you recommend?

Thanks again,

Jim

5 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

Good morning,

Working on a large new house on a large lot.  I'll have to develop the site plan soon.

Should I include the site work as part of the house plan file or draw it up separately and bring it in as a reference display?

I suspect there's a chance that the house will move on the site before we finalize its location.  My inclination is to keep the site plan as a separate file.

What do you recommend?

Thanks again,

Jim

I think the answer to this depends a bit on HOW you are drawing up your site plan and on what needs to be shown on that plan. 

If its all CAD, then I would suggest you look into using the Plan Footprint tool in a CAD Detail.  The Plan Footprint is essentially a layout-box-like viewport sent to a CAD Detail so that the house can be freely moved around on your site plan. 

If however you need to include a lot of 3D information, then that changes things a bit.  I usually draw all that stuff in the current plan file and then if the house needs to move, just group select or Edit Area and move the underlying site plan stuff in relation to the house instead of the other way around. 

• Like 1

My approach is to develop the house and a "cartoon" terrain in the PLAN file. The cartoon terrain is an approximation used for perspective images and elevations ('m done trying to develop complex sites using Chief terrain tools - it just isn't worth the frustration). I develop the site plan, grading plan, erosion control plan, etc. in a CAD detail.

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think the answer to this depends a bit on HOW you are drawing up your site plan

I'd like to develop a full 3D site plan.

28 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I usually draw all that stuff in the current plan file and then if the house needs to move, just group select or Edit Area and move the underlying site plan stuff in relation to the house instead of the other way around.

Good food for thought.  Thanks!

28 minutes ago, rlackore said:

('m done trying to develop complex sites using Chief terrain tools - it just isn't worth the frustration). 

Thanks for the input.  I'll have to consider.  I probably should watch the Chief site plan training video one more time as a refresher.

i tried out the plan footprint but found too many limitations (for instance I have to show eaveline on site plans and the plan footprint does not show this. Yes, one can concentric make a polyline, but with different overhang depths, this is a pain) Cantilevers do not show, front landings, decks do not show).But I will concur the terrain tools leave something to be desired.  One would think it would be simple to create a even sloping grade next to a foundation, and different elevation points along the property lines. but it is not that simple that I have found. I inevitably draw a grade line on an elevation. For the site plan I have a reference view of the roofs and the main floor plan plus the CAD lines for the property line. Then I dimension setbacks to that CAD line

36 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

i tried out the plan footprint but found too many limitations

Thanks Jason for your feedback.

I think I'll just have to dive into this swimming pool and see how it goes!

Jim

On 3/27/2024 at 9:39 AM, JKEdmo said:
  On 3/27/2024 at 9:10 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

I think the answer to this depends a bit on HOW you are drawing up your site plan

I'd like to develop a full 3D site plan.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:10 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

I usually draw all that stuff in the current plan file and then if the house needs to move, just group select or Edit Area and move the underlying site plan stuff in relation to the house instead of the other way around.

Good food for thought.  Thanks!

I also do it that way, Chief does not play well with "angled" Buildings, especially ones not on a common "angle preset" , hopefully in X16 there has been some improvements on the Terrain Module as it's been a Bear for years... but I find having dedicated Saved Plan Views ( incl. Default Set and Layers etc)  for Terrain (Hardscape) and even a Landscape (and Planting) SPV makes things go better once Layout comes around.

M.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:32 PM, SHCanada2 said:

for instance I have to show eaveline on site plans and the plan footprint does not show this.

From Help: You can control what displays in the footprint using the Layer Display Options dialog.

In general, if there is elevation data that generates a model of the terrain, then I make the terrain perimeter much larger than the lot to allow for smooth transitions at the lot boundaries, and for sidewalks and roads to display in 3d.  The boundary of the property can be shown via a very tiny curb or fence at the lot lines when in 3d mode.  The actual lot lines in plan view I do as a polyline on a custom layer, along with setback information.  This also allows for piers for deck and carport posts to be displayed correctly in elevations.  

I do not (but have not tried) to put the building in a separate plan file.  

2 hours ago, Doug_N said:

In general, if there is elevation data that generates a model of the terrain, then I make the terrain perimeter much larger than the lot to allow for smooth transitions at the lot boundaries, and for sidewalks and roads to display in 3d.  The boundary of the property can be shown via a very tiny curb or fence at the lot lines when in 3d mode.  The actual lot lines in plan view I do as a polyline on a custom layer, along with setback information.  This also allows for piers for deck and carport posts to be displayed correctly in elevations.  

Doug,

I appreciate your detailed input.  Thanks.

Jim

2 hours ago, Doug_N said:

I do it this way as well ..... a couple of notes.....

Always pull the Elevation Regions / Lines / Roads etc. beyond the edge of the Terrain Perimeter (TP) , and don't let them "snap to it" , this helps stop the "jaggies" at the edges of the TP

and for Roads it cuts off the Curb that Chief's Roads auto adds to all 4 edges.

Rather than a separate file for the Terrain to Show Clients Options , I'd just  do a "Save As" _Option A , "Save As"_Option B from the Main Plan and make the changes there.

M.

3 hours ago, CharlesVolz said:

From Help: You can control what displays in the footprint using the Layer Display Options dialog.

I dont think that works for the eaveline of the floor above, but I will try it out