The Correct Way To Edit Schedules

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

After exporting the schedules to xcel for the client's ID to use/mark up, he wants me to update the finish schedule with the ID's comments/pick's/finishes/selections etc.

If I understand the help "Editing Schedules" I can edit size and placement of columns, but from my experimentation with my schedules on the plan, (my interpretation)I have two ways to edit the text, 1-convert the schedule to a text document, then edit the lines/description/info to the ID's comments (which I assume would be all inclusive of anything written in the schedule) however; after converting to text, the schedule will NO LONGER update automatically, which I haven't been able to get it to update automattically as I previously thought anyway. According to the help, I can copy/paste into ANY document (since I haven't tried it yet not sure if I can paste it back into the schedule and then it will auto update?!? probably not).

2- would be go in to each rooms DBX and change the items I can change (what about each wall?) finish etc? But in the schedule it's self, there is not (at least in the current FS I'm working with) a column would have to be added to provide finish direction for each wall if they indeed differ/selection by ID. I am assuming I can delete/add columns as needed accoring to the help as first stated?

My AVAILABLE time to experiment/learn the best method is limited as before I am under the time crunch to get done.

If you have done this and can provide the best approach it would be most helpful, as I am revising the const doc's to the clients/contractor's comments and hope to be finished this week.

Thanks for putting up with ME!

First and foremost, don't try and learn how to use new software under pressure.

Since you are under a time crunch, just turn the schedule into text and type in what ever you need to get the docs done.

When you have the time, come back here and ask more questions about customizing the schedules to get the info you need.  There are ways to do some things but maybe not everything you want.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Arthur about converting to text. But, you can delete columns. Double click the schedule to bring up the DBX. You have two boxes which show available and used. Move accordingly.attachicon.gifyes or not.JPG

Thanks,Alan and Arthur; I know NOTHING is done right if you do it in a hurry. Seems like that's all I have had time to do on this one is HURRY!

I had already opened the schedule dbx and looked at how I might edit it, of course what I need to do you can't do in it except add / delete columns etc. or least that is all I've found. I need to be able to change the text/add text/provide more descriptinve info (even in the comments col) but that requires me being able to edit each.

I am moving on to the floor plan changes/clarifications/updates/window modifications/door revisions for now. I don't have the ID's comments anyway at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost, don't try and learn how to use new software under pressure.

Since you are under a time crunch, just turn the schedule into text and type in what ever you need to get the docs done.

When you have the time, come back here and ask more questions about customizing the schedules to get the info you need.  There are ways to do some things but maybe not everything you want.

Ok Arthur I'm back. I think the time crunch has finally settled down. The client is using my Xcel spread sheets with the plans to guide his builder and subs, and the ID will do likewise working forward to make design choices.  I DO want to get the hang of working with/editing schedules.

Glenn Woodward helped me tremendously by finding the culprit schedules that were imbedded in my plan files (wound up in elevation camera some how) HONESTLY I didn't do it, but I think the boss slipped into the plan (since he has my license info too) he was wanting to HELP (particularly with the door schedule) although he didn't remember doing it, the double call-outs for doors and windows showed up after he worked on the doors to update them.

Anyway, thanks to Glenn we found and fixed it! Now there are no DOUBLE CALL OUTS!

I still would like to set the finish schedule up to edit the column and row content (and the client wanted me to insert columns for heated under roof room sqftg and unheated under roof room sqftg and remove all the other info so the ID can have a clean slate to work with.

I modified the column info in the schedule dbx, but that seems to be the extent of the modifications I can make without converting to a text document, correct?

I did modify the columns for the above, but looks like I have to convert the schedule to a text document, that will have to be edited / updated to include the ID's direction and final finish materials and selections.

post-1662-0-22868900-1426104764_thumb.jpg

post-1662-0-97287200-1426104777_thumb.jpg

Bob,

What's in Chief's Schedules is what is in the Model.  You can't just edit the Schedule content - you need to make those edits to the model and the Schedules will automatically reflect that data.

There are some additional capabilities to add custom components and columns to the schedules but that's a pretty advanced subject.

If you want to ignore what Chief reports in the model and just do manual schedules then I would suggest MS Word or Excel - completely outside of Chief and then just import those into your Layout.  Just remember that you are ignoring the model and some things may be inaccurate if you do that.  You might have a 36" wide door in your Schedule in a space that in the model is only wide enough for a 32" door.

• Solution

Bob,

What's in Chief's Schedules is what is in the Model.  You can't just edit the Schedule content - you need to make those edits to the model and the Schedules will automatically reflect that data.

There are some additional capabilities to add custom components and columns to the schedules but that's a pretty advanced subject.

If you want to ignore what Chief reports in the model and just do manual schedules then I would suggest MS Word or Excel - completely outside of Chief and then just import those into your Layout.  Just remember that you are ignoring the model and some things may be inaccurate if you do that.  You might have a 36" wide door in your Schedule in a space that in the model is only wide enough for a 32" door.

Thanks Joe.

I did export to xcel and the client was ok with the work book I created for him, but he didn't like the way it looked pasted into the plan. The PDF's didn't look any better, sonI told him I would do further research to see what else I could do. I've about convinced him the spread sheets are the best way. As impressed as he was with using the X6 viewer he said......back to the horse and carriage!

• 4 months later...

I have a client who wants the schedule in excel- how did you export as a spread sheet?

1.  Convert to Text

2.  Open and select all the Text

3.  Ctrl-C (Copy)

4.  In Excel - Ctrl-V (Paste)

- option-

Paste into Notebook and save

Import into Excel

• 10 months later...

Hello, I understand this chat is about editing a schedule, however I'm hungup on editing just an attribute on the schedule (ie a single door I'd like to change to an exterior door) Maybe its because said door is exiting to a sunroom therefore chief is picking up as not "exterior". Is there a way to edit just a particular element?

TIA

Marilena

using X7

If you want to have access to some of the other columns of your schedule open the "Components Dialog" post-4797-0-24448900-1464021786.jpgfor the item and edit or add to a column that is also in your Schedule. This is something that I am just learning and did not seem to be discussed in this thread but is a very powerful advanced tool so you may want to take a look at the help file.

Chopsaw,

You can also add Sub Categories to the Components Dialog and then have them available as additional columns in the Schedule.  This is a slightly complex process but it does provide for some very nice customization.  As an example, I have "HEAD", "JAMB" & "SILL" Detail Columns in my Door &t Window Schedules.  I edit the "Description" for those in the Components dbx and the Schedule(s) show those values.

Thanks Joe,  I was just reviewing the post and noticed that you alluded to this feature in post #6, so thank you for expanding on the subject.  I have successfully tinkered with this feature to adjust my schedules so I will look into the Sub Categories for the future.

P.S.  For anyone else that is interested in Joe's "slightly complex process" I found his detailed procedure here:https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/5712-simplify-the-creation-of-custom-columns-in-schedules/?hl=%2Bsub+%2Bcategory  and it works so thanks again Joe.

Chopsaw

Yes Alan,  That is the obvious solution that we should have checked first.  Although even when you place an exterior door on a wall that Chief considers to be interior it does not appear on the schedule description as exterior, so there is a method that needs to be employed here to cheat the system.  Everything gets altered including the door thickness.

Thanks,  Chopsaw

post-4797-0-00773400-1464089888_thumb.jpg

Marilena,  With a little more time to think about this problem, your assessment was likely correct and the better approach would have been to find an exterior room type for your sunroom that would work structurally, such as Balcony, Court, Deck, or Porch.  Things always seem to work out better in the long run if you do not have to cheat.