Room Labels Disappearing

KilianDrafting

I just started working with X15. Anyone else have an issue where all the room labels on a floor level get turned off? I have been working on a plan and when I take the file home to work, I lose the room labels. The first time I thought maybe I had not labeled them. As I was going through turning them back on, I realized the room definitions were retained but all the "show room label" boxes were unchecked. It has happened multiple times on the same plan now. It seems to be happening only when opening the file on a different computer (home, work, laptop). Any help would be appreciated.

It happened again while working on the same plan. This time while working on the second floor, the labels on the first floor and basement were removed. I removed a wall on the second floor that defined a room and then I noticed the room labels were missing on the floors below. Is there a hotkey or something that I am accidentally turning off the room lables? I would think it would turn them all off not just certain floors.

Hey @KilianDraftingAre you accidentally changing between layer (annotation) sets?  The folks I work for often have issues with their designers accidentally changing an annotation set (mine are custom sets btw - so they will look different than out of the box).

These sets can be changed by hovering your mouse over the drop down (not clicking) and scrolling with your mouse scroll which is typically how their designers accidentally change the view on their screen - causing chaos! ha ha.

Good thought Adam, but not my issue. I made sure to switch between default (anno) sets as well as turn on all layers to see if that was causing the issue.

I was able to cycle through the undo button to get them back, but then I lose the work I've already done. (If I catch it within a reasonable amount of time.) It's easier to just multi-select rooms to check the box when I'm finished for the day. 

At this time, we have no reports of problems with room labels getting turned off automatically.  If you can reproduce a case where this happens, then please report this to our technical support team.  If we can reproduce this problem in-house, then we will try to get a fix into the next available update.

More info about reporting problems can be found here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

On a side note, it seems that if you can use "undo" to bring them back, then in theory it should be easier to figure out what change caused them to disappear.  Figuring out the exact steps that can cause this to happen would be very helpful to include with your bug report.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dermot said:

On a side note, it seems that if you can use "undo" to bring them back, then in theory it should be easier to figure out what change caused them to disappear.  Figuring out the exact steps that can cause this to happen would be very helpful to include with your bug report.

I had thought this as well, but I still am unable to reproduce the results that leads to them disappearing. Once I can, then I will send in a bug report.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, KilianDrafting said:

Anyone else have an issue where all the room labels on a floor level get turned off?

Yes! Multiple times for me. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce anything either though...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 5:43 AM, KilianDrafting said:

Anyone else have an issue where all the room labels on a floor level get turned off?

As of today I am now a witness to this rare beast.  Very weird!

I also described it in another forum post today.  Sounds exactly like what you described above.  It's as if I selected and deleted all the room labels en masse, but I did not do that best to my knowledge.

This has happened multiple times on a project I'm working on today.

Jim

This exact problem has been happening to me as well. It's the same as everyone else is describing. While working on a multi-floor plan, the room labels on one floor will be randomly turned off. I then have to manually turn them all back on again. Very annoying. It has been happening to me for months (on x15). It is random, so I haven't been able to reproduce it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to me again on a completely new plan started in X15. I thought maybe the issue was when pulling in a plan started in an earlier version, but it just happened after several new x15 plans had no issue. So much for that theory! I still have not been able to reproduce the steps that cause the labels to disappear. At least I'm not alone.

• 5 weeks later...

Does this happen when you change room types - specifically an Unspecified room type?

Just a wild guess, but have you played around with Preferences>Architectural>Rooms>Enable Show Room Label Automatic Behavior When Changing Room Types?

This is a setting that can control the display of room names under certain conditions.

But the problems described above in the various posts are not 100% consistent with this setting.

But Help states that "When this box is checked, the room label’s display will be enabled when the Room Type is changed from “Unspecified”.", but the common theme is that room names that were previously set and visible seemingly magically all get Show Room Label unchecked for no good reason.

Fingers crossed it hasnt' happened to me yet, it seems rather pervasive.

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2023 at 7:23 AM, KilianDrafting said:

Anyone with this room label issue have any bay or bow windows in their plans. I just realized both of the plans I have this problem with, have bay windows. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, just trying to come up with some correlation so I can send a bug report.

I started having this issue with a plan started in x15 and it does have a bay window.  I have turned them back on about 5 times now!  I'm going to just manually put some in and leave them off.

I have also been having another issue with the bay window and the wall it is placed on.  In camera view it shows the siding finishes and everything looks good, but in an elevation view it only shows framing above and below the window.  I can't find where anyone else has had this problem.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, HHDesign said:

I started having this issue with a plan started in x15 and it does have a bay window. 

Just today I started a new plan in X15 and the room labels are disappearing again! This plan has a box window. These window types (Box, Bow, Bay) must be what is causing the room label issue somehow.

This thread caught my attention because I've been frustrated with how chief handles room labels.

Some rooms would ask to show the label and others it would not.
After some investigating I found that some of my rooms "Function" was set to (Unspecified).
It appears like if the room function is set to Unspecified the show room label checkbox will be unchecked by default.

image.thumb.png.a5401b51f1246f1c723ee1fc1aae7bc3.png

To me it would make more sense if the room defaults dialog would have the option to set whether the room label will show by default or not.

On another note I've gotten to the point where I don't like Chief's room labels anyway because I prefer to use a rich text box to show the rooms definition.

I want the room name to be formatted differently from the room specifications and you can't do that with the default room label text box that chief uses.

If Chief would  use a rich text box for the default room label I would switch back to using the default room labels.

So I unchecked this so Chief does not bug me about showing the room labels:

image.thumb.png.ab1c5f3bcf089a8717243095a5d9f3e2.png

What's interesting is if this is unchecked all the show room label check boxes are unchecked when changing rooms.

image.thumb.png.60d80206d0bcb6e0e714686f46a8b6e8.png

I don't know if this has helped anyone else but this has helped me understand a little better what chief is doing in the background.

I still think there could be some improvements to the default room labels.

Hope this helps in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

My office assistant has had this happen constantly but I don't remember if it was only on plans with bay windows. I though it was a glitch with the program on his computer. But today it's been happening to me all day. And yes, I have a plan with a bay window. It hasn't happened to me at all, until today, and until today I haven't had any bay windows in the plans.

I exploded the bay window to see if that makes a difference, and so far there are no repeats of the bug.