Graphics

stayfitjim

if it was me and I had that budget I'd look at

AORUS 17X AZF-B5US665SP w/ Core™ i9-13900HX, 32GB, 2TB SSD, 17.3in QHD 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4090, Wi-Fi 6E, BT, Win 11 Pro

or

ROG Strix SCAR 18 G834JY-XS97 w/ Core™ i9-13980HX, 32GB DDR5, Dual 1TB M.2 SSD, 18in WQXGA, RTX 4090, Wi-Fi 6E, Win 11 Pro

or

Stealth 17 Studio A13VI-017US w/ Core™ i9-13900H, 64GB, 2TB SSD, 17.3in QHD 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4090, Wi-Fi 6E, BT, Win 11 Pro

i'd put my money int he graphics card as that is the only thing I ever see pinned

5 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Great if you’re editing videos and photos. 

Not so good for rendering. 

Bad advice, I would say. For this forum, at least. 

and I’m a self admitted Apple fanboy.

I am just showing what some Apple products are capable of in comparison to other popular video cards that are out there.

There might be a mobile Apple alternative out there that can do a good job of real time rendering as well ?

My advice would be to test an Apple laptop first before buying if that is possible? I guess you may have tested the new MacBook pros with the M2 Apple Silicon in them ?

You guys who do high end rendering would know what works with mobile devices. 

All good !

On 4/13/2023 at 10:09 AM, DeLayDesign said:

You'll want a pretty decent graphics card if you are wanting to run raytraces.  I built my PC with Ibuypower.com  A few years ago my system cost $2400 delivered; not sure what it would cost today - but it's pretty OP.

I invested in a ibypower desktop for around $2,400 to $2,600 about a year ago.

• Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Edition
  • Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8 Ghz,
  • 8-Core 16-Thread  CPU
  • 16 GB DDR4-3000 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB m.2 NVME SSD
  • nVidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti with 8 GB of GDDR6 RAM

I have since increased the ram to 32 GB's.

I also have purchased a Samsung Pro 970 1 TB M.2 NVME SSD.  I never got around to installing the new drive / cloning the old drive.

On 4/14/2023 at 11:49 PM, mthd97 said:

I am just showing what some Apple products are capable of in comparison to other popular video cards that are out there.

There might be a mobile Apple alternative out there that can do a good job of real time rendering as well ?

My advice would be to test an Apple laptop first before buying if that is possible? I guess you may have tested the new MacBook pros with the M2 Apple Silicon in them ?

You guys who do high end rendering would know what works with mobile devices. 

All good !

re: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02761/chief-architect-minimum-system-requirements.html#X15

For GPU real-time ray tracing, a Windows computer with an NVIDIA RTX or an AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card is required.

Mac simply doesn't support the real time ray tracing that Chief has implemented.

8 hours ago, TeaTime said:

re: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02761/chief-architect-minimum-system-requirements.html#X15

For GPU real-time ray tracing, a Windows computer with an NVIDIA RTX or an AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card is required.

Mac simply doesn't support the real time ray tracing that Chief has implemented.

For X15, the recommended laptops are at the bottom of this list from your link. If they want to test an Apple first then that is their choice to do so. If it doesn’t perform as expected they can always consider other options too.

Recommended:

• 32 GB of RAM
  • 512 GB SSD
  • PC
    • Desktops:
      • Intel i9 / AMD Ryzen 5000
      • 8 GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 / AMD Radeon RX 6800
    • Laptops:
      • Minimum 15" screen
      • Intel i7
      • 8 GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 / AMD Radeon RX 6800M
  • Mac
    • Desktops:
      • Mac Pro
    • Laptops:
      • MacBook Pro 16"
      • Metal GPUFamily: Apple M1 or newer
      • 8 GB video memory

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, mthd97 said:

For X15, the recommended laptops are at the bottom of this list from your link

Yes I know but also 

On 4/13/2023 at 3:35 AM, stayfitjim said:

I need to be able to create rendering in real time if that is possible at all.

so an assumption can be made that Mac isn't probably the best fit. He doesn't list his version, so maybe he's using X14 or older and it doesn't matter, but if he plans on upgrading at any point, then it's very valid information to consider.

No shade to Mac, they're just going in a different direction.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Yes I know but also 

so an assumption can be made that Mac isn't probably the best fit. He doesn't list his version, so maybe he's using X14 or older and it doesn't matter, but if he plans on upgrading at any point, then it's very valid information to consider.

No shade to Mac, they're just going in a different direction.

Yes I understand and with a laptop you don’t want a slow performance with work like that and sitting around waiting for your render to produce.

I have moved over to a Mac Studio recently because I was fed up with the amount of house keeping time it took to maintain a windows PC. Even my Microsoft surface pro still takes up too much time keeping it up to date.

I hope that Apple will produce a laptop specifically designed to handle real time RT renders better than it has up to now.

6 hours ago, mthd97 said:

I have moved over to a Mac Studio recently because I was fed up with the amount of house keeping time it took to maintain a windows PC. Even my Microsoft surface pro still takes up too much time keeping it up to date.

Interesting observation. I have the exact opposite

problem with Windows. I spend too much time

trying to keep it from wanting it to update itself

whether or not I want to update. Go figure. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Interesting observation. I have the exact opposite

problem with Windows. I spend too much time

trying to keep it from wanting it to update itself

whether or not I want to update. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah ! That too !