Story Pole Dimensions

Ed_Orum

Attached is a screen shot (file is too big to upload) of a story pole I want to adjust.
I would like all of the elevation markers to appear on the right side of the vertical story pole line, 

I circled the culprit and would like to move it over to the other side.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance

40 minutes ago, Ed_Orum said:

Attached is a screen shot (file is too big to upload) of a story pole I want to adjust.

Hey Ed, there's no image attached. Are you aware of the snipping tool for taking screen images?

If you're using windows, simply click the Windows icon in the taskbar, then type in 'snipping tool'.

I believe you'll need to find a different point in the model to snap that dimension to. Once they are generating on opposite sides of the string, there's no specific way to control it.

It would jump to the opposite side if it the dim. line is dragged far enough to the right. Otherwise, you'll need to find something else to hit, that's far enough to the left.

For many years I would not use the storypole tool because of crap like that. I would create only one elevation view and I used cad lines for the various elevations, then dimensioned to them and added the marker text manually. This was then saved in a template plan. 

I picked the stability and predictability of cad lines for a story pole just so I would never waste time with that kind of junk. 

If I needed the story pole in more than one view, then I'd either add it as a cad block (using copy-paste-in-place) or replicate it in layout.

Recently I've gone back to Chief's story pole, but it is causing me to waste time, so I think I'm going back to a cad method.

I have never seen this problem before.  Please send this plan into tech support and be sure to include any other information you might have about the problem, such as if it happens when you first create the story pole dimension or only after you have made changes (and what those changes were). 

You can contact tech support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

14 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

I circled the culprit and would like to move it over to the other side

Hi Ed..

I have had the problem before also.  I kept moving the complete pole dimension away from the object, and it fixed itself.  However, this def needs to be fixed.  We only have so much paper space..

I think what is happening is caused by the dimension line being moved past the location grip.

ie, if you drag the dimension line past the location grip, the marker and text flip over to the other side of the dimension line.

It's a bit hard to explain.

Try dragging the dimension line to the right and the marker and text should flip at some distance.

Is there any hidden building to the right of what is shown? 

Can you take a screen shot while the dimension is selected so that we can see the end of the extension line grip.

Or can you post the plan.

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 6.12.43 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 6.26.14 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

This issue is most likely to arise when using a section view, or a clipped section / elevation view. It will not happen when the dimensions string is located full outside of the model.

The inconsistency in marker location can happen when the dimension string is not fully outside of the model. The marker will be located away from the object it is snapping to.

In the OP, that doesn't quite look like a full building elevation view. There may be a bit more going on than we can tell from a screenshot.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dermot said:

I have never seen this problem before.  Please send this plan into tech support and be sure to include any other information you might have about the problem, such as if it happens when you first create the story pole dimension or only after you have made changes (and what those changes were). 

You can contact tech support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Will do.