Full Elevation Wall Framing Detail

Bob_Johnston

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I'm doing a story and a half plan with the north wall being a very large gable with balloon framing at the stairs. I want to do a full framing elevation of the entire wall but the "Open Wall Detail" will only allow me to select one section (1st floor or 2nd floor) at a time and I can't get a wall detail of the attic walls at all. Is there a way to accomplish this that I'm not aware of?

As an example, here's the 1st floor wall detail and a shot of the entire elevation. How do I show the entire north wall framing? Thx

north wall.png

north wall 1.png

• Solution

I don't want to try to influence your methods but wall framing details should be separated by the floor they sit on. But if you must show a framing elevation view, then simply take a back clipped elevation camera view and use a custom layer set. Make a copy of the layer set that you use for 3d framing views and then adjust it as you see fit. Note that in X13 you will not be able to snap to framing members in this type of view. 

Another option would be to stack / align the separate wall detail drawings on the layout page.

I'd try making my own back clipped View  say 8"  and a dedicated Layerset that doesn't show anything except the Wall Framing and perhaps a few other components eg Rim Joists as needed. And possibly Send View to a Cad Detail if needed. 

* great minds think alike :) 

M.

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Select the attic walls, then select Build Framing For Selected Object(s)

Got it.

I may have to do this manually, I don't see any reason to break this wall with plates (and I obviously need to get my framing reference set correctly for the 1st and 2nd floors to get those studs lined up).

north wall 3.png

17 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

Did you select this wall you want to balloon and check this button?

image.thumb.png.0a6d0398410daa48e2e6808f9b2ca933.png

No I did not and that is exactly what I needed.

I checked the box and deleted the attic walls and this is the result. Still a little funkiness going on but I can live with it.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

north wall 4.png

1 hour ago, para-CAD said:

Can all the components be dimensioned?  
 I would do that in auto cad, when I was a full time framer and create a cut drawing. 
it would be cool if Chief could do that. 

Have you tried it?

• Downvote 1

I'm asking.  

Why do you do that?  I asked about a deck once and that was your answer...a question.  No help at all.

If it doesn't do that, then why would I waste time to find out.  Someone could just say....nope......or yep.......and that would be that.  

Autocad DOES it.  That's what I use.

Maybe someone else can ANSWER my question - not with a question.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

I'm asking.  

Why do you do that?  I asked about a deck once and that was your answer...a question.  No help at all.

If it doesn't do that, then why would I waste time to find out.  Someone could just say....nope......or yep.......and that would be that.  

Yep

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, para-CAD said:

I'm asking.  

Sorry if asking a question offended you.  What I was trying to get across was that it is a very simple thing to search or even just test quickly in Chief.  In fact would have taken a lot less time to search the question or try it in Chief.

In answer to your question yes you can dimension to framing members.

According to the video I watched on new features, X14 will dimension the cut length, but angled cuts are measured to the center of the angle. I never heard a framer reference the center of an angle cut, it's always to the "long" or to the "short." I can't WAIT to see the reactions when they're given the center of the angle... on second thought, I don't want to be around; hammers may be thrown.

• Upvote 1