Full Elevation Wall Framing Detail

Bob_Johnston

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

56 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

According to the video I watched on new features, X14 will dimension the cut length, but angled cuts are measured to the center of the angle. I never heard a framer reference the center of an angle cut, it's always to the "long" or to the "short." I can't WAIT to see the reactions when they're given the center of the angle... on second thought, I don't want to be around; hammers may be thrown.

I've included framing schedules for rake walls and I simply have some notes to the schedule that mention that the length for beveled components is to the center. I framed for over 20 years and this wouldn't have bothered me for a couple of reasons. Once one knows the difference from the center to the long point, then it's a pretty simple adjustment on the fly. For those lacking the grey matter for that adjustment, there will be bigger problems to solve. Chance are there will be some small adjustments needed anyhow, so the exact numbers may only be good for material takeoff. That being said, If I were framing the walls that I draw, I wouldn't need to double check anything on site, I'd just start cutting.

3 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

According to the video I watched on new features, X14 will dimension the cut length, but angled cuts are measured to the center of the angle. I never heard a framer reference the center of an angle cut, it's always to the "long" or to the "short." I can't WAIT to see the reactions when they're given the center of the angle... on second thought, I don't want to be around; hammers may be thrown.

Not that uncommon on a Cut Rafter Roof, but not that common on Rake Walls is my guess ?  I agree with Rob though once you know the offset,

the centerline is not really used again. I am surprised that some Ruby Expert at Chief hasn't worked out those offsets though to add to the centerline "Cut length" so it's correct for the "Field Cut".

* And Alan haven't we had Cutlist forever in SMR or is there something new in X14?

M.