Can This Be So Difficult?

ACADuser

I want to copy & paste based on a base point.

I inserted a Mark with text and now want to copy & past based on the CAD line adjacent to the original mark but to the other CAD lines.

This is sooo easy in CAD, what is the trick?  No I don't want to replicate 9' then 16" then 10' then 16" the 9'-6"

Got to be an easy way to do this basic task.

I think you are looking for "point to point" move tool....but I see you just uploaded a vid so I will look and make sure.

After seeing your vid, I would suggest you look at the copy (array) tool and see the "sub" options.  Other than that, I would copy in place and then point to point move.   It may be just as simple to create a new marker in those locations.  Since those markers are "objects" (unlike in generic CAD) the simplicity of making new ones in the location(s) you want may be just as effective IMO.....especially since the text will presumably change in each one.

Here I've used the Transform/Replicate tool to copy a marker set at zero at four foot intervals.  I then use a baseline dimension tool to see their relative heights. From there I can use the room DBX information to adjust them to the proper height using the dimension. 

From there I can open the markers and either enter the height in the text box, or use the height box.  If I use the height box, I must place a # in the text box so it will report the height.

I suspect the # is a bit of unfinished business on Chief's part, as it makes no sense to have this feature unless I can use it to actually set the height the of the maker.

Level line markers should be smart enough to know their own elevation.  I might just add that to suggestion forum.

post-62-0-55581200-1419285173_thumb.jpg

I'm trying my hand at videos too. Let's see if this helps.  Of course you have to have snaps turned on to get it to work like I just showed.

Sound is so low again  - I'll try again. I've got to work on my mic sound. I can hear it but it has to be up all the way. Tried a different mic.

http://screencast.com/t/Rrpk1GQBIC

Uh oh - got the sound working - this could get ugly  :P  :P

Me too Perry but the initial set up is so different than ACAD I thought it would help to see Chief's tools in action. Again not sure if this is exactly what Alan is looking for but should help him get closer in Chief. Seems way easier in Chief but again only if this is what Alan's actually trying to do.

Larry,

I don't believe that is quite what he is after.

He wants to line up the Markers vertically, but away from the ends of the lines.

This can be done using the Extension Snaps.

Toggle on Tangent Extensions, Intersection Snaps and Endpoint Snaps. 

Turn all other snaps off.

Select the Marker. 

Click Copy.

Place the cursor back over the Marker until you get the 4 headed move arrow cursor - this is important because it won't work if you try and drag the copy with the Copy cursor.

No need to use Paste.

Drag the Marker down and across to the end of the line (the one you want the marker level with) to establish an extension point.

Drag across to the right until you get the extension vertically down from the original Marker as well as the horizontal extension from the end of the line.

Note that the 4 headed cursor has to be in the copy of the Marker circle to be able to see the extension lines. 

Click to place the copy.

It's a little hard to see the extension lines sometimes if they are under the cross hairs (if you use crosshairs).. 

You can get them to display better by having an Aperture on the cross hairs - then it is easy to see the extensions in the aperture. 

You then need to spin around three times and click your heels.

Sounds a bit fiddly and complicate, but is really quite easy to do.

Larry, I have downloaded Jing.

How do I post the .swf file for viewing? 

Can I attach the file directly to this message or do I need to go through Screencast?

Any help appreciated.

Larry,

Thanks, you did it perfectly - except that you moved the Marker instead of copying - no big deal.

Looks like once I get Jing going I then need to open a Screencast account?

Alan,

I don't know what this means:

I was using marker with text & the insert point is center but that may work as well.

Larry, one thing about your videos is that the viewing screen is a lot larger than my monitor size so I have to scroll up and down. Not sure, but when you size your screen viewing area ,maybe a little smaller will fix it. see below

post-113-0-07521100-1419298357_thumb.png

Glenn, once you open Jing, select the area you want to capture then, click the video record button. When you're done recording name your video, hit the share via screen cast button and Jing copies your video to their servers (I assume) and gives it a dedicated url. Now you have to paste the video url somewhere. It can be text or a web page or any place you can get t the url. I don't see a way to get to the video's url once you copy and paste something else so I think you have to paste right away.

And yeah you need an account.

Larry, one thing about your videos is that the viewing screen is a lot larger than my monitor size so I have to scroll up and down. Not sure, but when you size your screen viewing area ,maybe a little smaller will fix it. see below

Whoa, That's huge. Must be my screen size but it's not huge. 27"? Maybe I need to grab a smaller portion of the screen? But I want to include everything so maybe the free one has those limitations?

Looks good here even on my smaller screen.

Here's one done with a smaller screen size.

http://screencast.com/t/89s3JqqWO

Fun trying out the video thing and certainly understand your frustration coming from ACAD. Talk about different paradigms - sheesh. I would shoot myself if I had to learn those techniques. Powerful I'm sure, tedious for me. Anyway glad it helped.

Hot keys are a real fast way to do certain tasks in Chief. I live on the Copy and Paste in Place hot Key (Q for me) and I put it as close to my left hand as possible. I hit it without even looking and use it all the time. I also use 'A' to open any spec dbx, again close to my left hand (use the mouse in my right hand) and hit it without even looking. Everyone has a different style but hot keys are a great speed tip.

It works properly on my 50" 4k.

Although the process of placing markers is not difficult; it's an item that should be automated.  The level line marker should seek it's height from the height box in the DBX.  These little things add up in terms of lost efficiency.