How many of you.........

winterdd

How many of you have ever had a client/builder say something wasn't to scale on the dwg? I have at least 1 person a year say this. Now, here is the thing, how in the hell is this even possible? Especially when I am notified of it and I go and check the layout view and it is indeed to scale. It is always the floorplan view and when I send the view over to the layout file it defaults to 1/4"=1'-0" which is the norm. I do not print the drawings out when I am done anymore. We wait until the engineering is done and then send off for a couple prints for the client to pick up. So I never really go behind myself and check every view with my scale. Every one of my drawings get printed on 24x36 border. So, it is my assumption that just maybe, someone is printing off another copy on a smaller border, ie. 18X24 or something. I shouldn't have to not trust in chief's layout views and them being to scale when I send them over. I asked a builder I work with the other day " over the past two years we have worked together on your homes and reno's, have you had any issues with my work on the job sites". He said only once. It was an addition we did 2 years ago and nothing was to scale on the floorplan so we just had to do the best we could. They never notified me so I was clueless. I get back home and open the old file and sure enough, there it was when I right clicked on the view and went to "rescale",  it was set at 1/4"=1'-0". Long Story for one topic but it just boggles my mind when I am told this. I had a guy 6 years ago say that none of the toilets were to scale. I had to laugh at that one. 

This was discussed recently and yes, the printer operator can make the wrong setting and get scale wrong.  I only trust someone like blueprintprinting.com, and have had places like UPS Store, Staples, and other "general printing" businesses do it wrong.

It's all about the 1:1.

40 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

This was discussed recently and yes, the printer operator can make the wrong setting and get scale wrong.  I only trust someone like blueprintprinting.com, and have had places like UPS Store, Staples, and other "general printing" businesses do it wrong.

It's all about the 1:1.

Agreed. I use a plot shop down the road. They print a lot of the local designer's and architects drawings so I trust them. I do know extra prints get sent off from builder's so who knows where they send them. I just don't like hearing stuff like that on my work. Last thing I want to be responsible for are my plans being screwed up and pissing people off.

I provide both text and graphic scale in each view on my Layouts.  This is critical because some layout boxes are at different scales.  The graphic scale always governs.  I also include a note in the right margin that indicates the sheet size & that if not printed at this size the drawings are "Not to Scale".

I have had contractors get drawings at smaller sizes in order to "save printing costs".  Usually this results in the building department rejecting the plans because the text is too small.  Generally they require 1/8" text but if 3/64" they'll accept it.

• Upvote 1

One of the first things I learned as a contractor (in a previous life) reading plans was never to scale drawings. If the dimensions are not clear enough to read or missing or couldn't be figured out through deduction, then a call to the architect/designer was in order. I also never scale details because that can only lead someone to think it's wise practice to scale them in order to figure out a dimension. IMO it's just bad practice to scale a drawing in the field.

And what if the printer got it wrong and the printed dimension says 14' - 8" but at 1/4" scale it scales out to 14' - 0" are you working with a builder who is building to the drawing as scaled or to the printed dimension? 

5 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

are you working with a builder who is building to the drawing as scaled or to the printed dimension? 

I work with multiple builders and aren't sure. They should be building to the printed dimensions and only use a scale if a dimension is missing, like interior dims. This issue isn't common but when it is, I like to investigate why they are saying that about the scale being off.

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I also include a note in the right margin that indicates the sheet size & that if not printed at this size the drawings are "Not to Scale".

I like this alot. When I send off for prints, I guarantee you they are to scale. In the email, i forward the pdf set of plans and ask them for a certain amount of copies, black and white, 24x36 sheet size. I just scaled one right now and it's spot on. The thing is, they can get reprinted by other people like the owner or builder and if it is printed wrong like you guys say, ultimately my name is on the drawing and that is not a good thing.

Whenever possible it is better to have control of the printing even if you do not make any money on it.  Then you know.  I have emailed PDF's to clients and sub contractors and then they show up to do the work and have downsized drawings or worst case scenario they have printed out your black dimensions on a black background and they just keep working without even having a clue that there are dimensions to follow.

It has all been a little more difficult recently with covid and all. ;)

15 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You must know a surveyor Alan.

I've run across many engineering graphs that use a different scale for X than Y. Gives me a head ache.

The worst are Metal Building Plans. They use a funky way to depict column base plates. They are not to scale for the floor plan they are in.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:39 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

I provide both text and graphic scale in each view on my Layouts.  This is critical because some layout boxes are at different scales.  The graphic scale always governs.  I also include a note in the right margin that indicates the sheet size & that if not printed at this size the drawings are "Not to Scale".

I have had contractors get drawings at smaller sizes in order to "save printing costs".  Usually this results in the building department rejecting the plans because the text is too small.  Generally they require 1/8" text but if 3/64" they'll accept it.

@Joe_Carrickcould you provide a screenshot of how you use the graphic scale? I am not too familiar with that.

36 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

@Joe_Carrickcould you provide a screenshot of how you use the graphic scale? I am not too familiar with that.

View Title.JPG

The Graphic Scale is accurate regardless of the print size since it's a CAD Block created at "Real World Size" in the PLAN.  I actually have it saved in the Library as a part of my "VIEW TITLE" CAD Block. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

View Title.JPG

The Graphic Scale is accurate regardless of the print size since it's a CAD Block created at "Real World Size" in the PLAN.  I actually have it saved in the Library as a part of my "VIEW TITLE" CAD Block. 

Cool, that's really a good idea.