What Am I Doing Wrong?

juallhuce

So, a little background so I don't look like a complete idiot.  I work for a local government agency that enforces local building codes.  One of our inspectors draws house plans in his spare time and has "taken me under his wing" to get me into it.  He bought Chief and found out quickly that he's much more of an Autocad type of guy(not willing to learn anything new) so my task right now is to figure this software out.  I've done well so far, I've designed a few sets of plans and I'm becoming more and more knowledgeable on many aspects of it, except for my current "assignment".  

post-3473-0-64282300-1418011862_thumb.png

This is either much more difficult than the houses I've done so far or it's not, and I'm truly an idiot.   No matter what I do, I can't get my roofs to look like this.   I can get the gullwing style(I think that's what it's called) to a certain point but when I add that gable on the front, and on the back.....it's just giving me headaches.    Anything on my past attempts at other roofs or other problems on other plans could always be worked through by trial and error and with the help Google.   And of course, this forum, which I've been lurking, vigorously :ph34r:.   

I'm not asking anyone to give me a step by step, nobody has time for that.   But surely there's something online that could at least point me in the right direction.   I've searched every keyword that I could think of and can't find a single thing that looks even similar.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  

Thanks so much for reading to this point, and for any help you can give. :)

EDIT - I'm using Chief Architect X6

You should be able to model a roof like that all in one go automatically.

For the Verandah and main roofs (gull wing), open theWall Specification dbx for the verandah railing wall.

Go to the Roof panel...Pitch Options.

Check Upper Pitch.

Fill in the other boxes as needed.

Define the walls under the gables as Full Gable Wall in the Wall Specification dbx. 

Auto build your roof.

Yet another government employee dipping into the private sector in their "spare time".

And because of the generous benefit package we provide, can afford to undercut the market.

Sorry - but that is how I see it. Join the list of mail men, firemen, etc that I KNOW

of who do that.

You say it's a free world? Not when I have to pay for it!

Also sounds like a conflict of interest to be able to inspect and design at the same time.

My .02.

Thanks for the input everyone. Solver, I've seen that article and just moved past it several times because I didn't see exactly what I was looking for.   I'll take another look at it.    Glenw, I'll try that immediately.  I appreciate the feedback, I truly do!   Even you Dennis, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I believe your left and right sides are what is called a "Dutch gable" and you should be able to find info in the Chief videos, Help database or possibly in the manual on how to do those.  Other than that, follow Glenn's advice and do as much as you can automatically by setting the roof parameters with the wall section roof spec's.  If the front and/or roof gable roofs tie into the main roof at a slightly higher elevation, then you might need to set your ceiing (wall) heights a little taller for those rooms to accomplish that.  Or possibly just selecting the roof planes and moving them up will do it .... BUT .... the structural framing elements need to work for you for however your roof planes are setting on the walls.  Good luck.

Thanks again for the replies here.   The amount of information on Chief you can find online is staggering and sometimes a little difficult to sift through.  It came down to me just being exactly what I didn't want to be.  An idiot.  I thought I had a handle on roofs before.   I clearly didn't.  I was making it much harder than it needed to be and I believe relying to heavily on the auto roof function.  

In my glorious rise to be a complete master at roof design in the past week :D , I've ran into another problem.   Being the front and rear of the house have those gables, I'm finding it hard to force the porch railing beams/posts to the soffit area.   I can manually drag the entire front railing upwards and snap to God knows what in 3D view, but I know that isn't right.  I've yet to find anything about being able to force separate posts at different lengths along a porch.  Any ideas?