Sign in to follow this  
jmyers

Crawlspace footing/piers

How difficult is it to create footing pads and concrete masonry piers on the footing pads inside of a crawlspace foundation to support beams?  I have not purchased the software, but have been practicing with a trial version to see if I would like to purchase.  I've tried to find videos and articles and can't find anything related to concrete masonry piers inside of a crawlspace.  Typically, the piers in my homes are 2 courses of 8x8x16 concrete blocks on a 30x30x12 footing.  Is there any automatic feature to use, draw by cad, etc.?  Thanks to all that respond!

A trial version of Chief Premiere X12 is available for download right now.  Get it.

Chief has a "post" tool that with one mouse click places a post with pier.  It is typically used for modeling 4x4 timber posts and for lally columns, but for your application, one would just set up the post as solid concrete and 16x16 in size, and the pier pad under as 12" thick and 30" square.  You can readily edit the post to whatever height you need.

As for modeling the post part in CMU so you get the 3D, there are ways to do it, but not so automatic as doing it with the post tool.  I am presuming your "post" has the CMU cores filled solid, so in effect, you have a solid concrete member.  Just do callouts and CAD details to show what's to be done on the con docs.

2020-11-30 15_43_22-Chief Architect Premier X12.png

Thanks Gene!. 

I have added a pic of a crawlspace foundation for one of my homes.  Inside the plan are 4 piers that I am referring to in my question.  I can't find anything in any videos or tutorials that show how to create piers such as those that I am referring to.

1369279922_Crawlpacepiers.thumb.jpg.d8a4651d7cebc6418a182d9927ef3b29.jpg

slabs, floor beam and cylinder polysolid. Minutes and your done

2020-11-30_17-01-07.jpg

I do mostly crawlspace foundations and basements. I have several different sizes of slab footings with slab concrete or masonry piers on top with the PT 2x bearing plate already drawn and placed in my template plan on the foundation level. They are placed off to the side and I just move them into the foundation space as needed. Takes a few minutes and done. I usually use the point-to-point move tool to accurately place them and the multiple copy tool to duplicate multiples where needed. Works great.