dskogg

Hexagon mixed wall tile how to do?

Recommended Posts

Hi All you chiefers I need your help...I have this shower i want to use a hex tile and make an organic pattern.

 

What i have done is make a polyline and duplicate until i have an entire space filled up, turn them into

polyline solids and then using paint tool i adjust each tile to get the pattern, then i turned this into a symbol.

 

Inserted symbol into plan and then i was going to add a wall material region in a thinner section to represent grout.

 

Only thing is this is laborious and i can't adjust tiles to different colours once i have made them a symbol.

 

Any and all suggestions? Rene?

 

 

benzene shower.jpg

benzene tile view.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 questions:

1.  Why do you feel the need to convert to a symbol?  You could pretty easily leave those as freestanding objects and just create an Architectural Block if anything

2.  Why can't you paint the tiles after converting to a symbol? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Symbols normally allow Material Changes? so something doesn't seem right

 

Could you not use 3 Material Regions "Shaped" in elevation to the Hexagon/Grout lines ?

 

M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dskogg Make sure to tag me if you'd like my input, otherwise I just happen upon mention by chance.
I'm almost always going to approach these types of things through materials. I can do it much faster that way and control texture and grout thickness roughness, opacity etc.
image.thumb.png.83df1dbb61de4c767288fc7231a2be76.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

2 questions:

1.  Why do you feel the need to convert to a symbol?  You could pretty easily leave those as freestanding objects and just create an Architectural Block if anything

2.  Why can't you paint the tiles after converting to a symbol? 

Hi Michael, not sure why i made it a symbol, but when i did once i tried painting one tile say of white it painted all the white tiles.

 

For some reason i had a mixture of polyline solids and polylines and i could not group select and convert to block, i got rid of the polylines and then did group select and block but

i drew these flat and need them for wall surface, how would i rotate them to vertical now?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

@dskogg Make sure to tag me if you'd like my input, otherwise I just happen upon mention by chance.
I'm almost always going to approach these types of things through materials. I can do it much faster that way and control texture and grout thickness roughness, opacity etc.
image.thumb.png.83df1dbb61de4c767288fc7231a2be76.png

wow.. i will be sure to tag you Rene, so how did you achieve this? My tiles are wavy like this too...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rgardner said:

Doesn't really help you right now but did you know Chief is giving a free webinar on this exact topic tomorrow?  

 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/livedemo.html

Hi Ryan, I have done some work with this already but it doesn't allow one to change the tiles individually like i want here...all tiles are the same or two different kinds..also not so much on the hex style tiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dskogg said:

wow.. i will be sure to tag you Rene, so how did you achieve this? My tiles are wavy like this too...

 

I could've done this entirely in Photoshop, but I have seats in the Substance suite of applications and created the hex tile using one of it's hex tile generators, then imported into PS and painted my tile pattern. The generator sets roughness, height variation, grout size thickness depth and roughness. I could add pebble artifacts if I wanted to, I could pitch the tiles if I want to. 
I usually charge $20 for something like this unless I just feel like doing it or if I have enough interest in the tile myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Hi Michael, not sure why i made it a symbol, but when i did once i tried painting one tile say of white it painted all the white tiles.

Oh, I see, you're trying to change color of individual tiles.  Ya, that would require using a unique material for each and every tile before converting to symbol.  Not very efficient.

 

9 minutes ago, dskogg said:

For some reason i had a mixture of polyline solids and polylines and i could not group select and convert to block, i got rid of the polylines and then did group select and block but

i drew these flat and need them for wall surface, how would i rotate them to vertical now?

Several ways, but at this point, the easiest is probably to switch to an elevation view and without ever de-selecting anything,  select your block, explode, Convert To Solid, block again, and rotate. In the future though, just draw in the proper view to start with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Hi Michael, not sure why i made it a symbol, but when i did once i tried painting one tile say of white it painted all the white tiles.

 

For some reason i had a mixture of polyline solids and polylines and i could not group select and convert to block, i got rid of the polylines and then did group select and block but

i drew these flat and need them for wall surface, how would i rotate them to vertical now?

 

 

 

- Paint Tool in Object or Room mode instead of component mode perhaps?  but also a good lesson on why to open the object and change the material there instead.

 

I can see how making individual Tile symbols would be a total PITA though.

 

- Use an elevation cam and Rotate the Block up perhaps ?

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The followup question is where do you source the tile?

 

All I could find is this, in four colors.  Black, white, something called "nude", and another called "pearl."

 

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-bethlehem-hexagon-6-x-7-ceramic-field-tile-sost2292.html

 

And this, in black, white, blue, and green.

 

https://www.tilesdirect.net/hexa-ocean-wave-glossy-hexagon-6x7-wall-tile/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Could you not use 3 Material Regions "Shaped" in elevation to the Hexagon/Grout lines ?

 

It is possible with material Regions , set to different thicknesses, putting each on a Unique Layer will make it possible to lock different Regions while you shape a particular 1 as needed.

 

Create the 1st Material region, on the whole wall ( field tile)  then in a Vector Camera in Elevation View you can "trace" the grout lines , close the polyline and convert to a material region, copy the material and blend a second colour , then do 3rd color etc.

 

This is just the Hex Tile from the Tile Bonus Library , so not too Special....

 

Little laborious but do-able... if it helps "sell" the job perhaps worth it 

 

M.

 

image.thumb.png.fe3d5aed03665ed0021be6c18a7b650d.pngimage.thumb.png.d9190870b772df0ccddec44ea0d5d9ea.png  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dskogg said:

 

i drew these flat and need them for wall surface, how would i rotate them to vertical now?

First, select all the grey tiles and give them a unique line color or fill pattern.

Convert all tiles to plain polylines, then copy  into a section view. Then it will be easy to group select the tile with the correct properties in plan view and spec the materials all at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Another quick and handy method would be to

  1. create a CAD detail of the wall tile regions
  2. give those polylines a hexagon fill pattern that is the correct size
  3. create a cad detail from the first cad detail
  4. draw and replicate some center lines for the hexagon tiles in x an y axis.
  5. create 3 correctly sized hexagons with different  solid fills
  6. you can now very quickly drop hexagons using the centering grid you created and sticky mode
  7. once satisfied, group select one type of hexagon copy it and merge into a single polyline
  8. trim over lapping tiles using the original border. 
  9. close polyline
  10. paste into wall elevation view
  11. convert to solid or material region or backslpash and assign the correct material

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to have a thing for hex tiles ...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, solver said:

You seem to have a thing for hex tiles ...

 

 

ha ha...i really do...they are really in these days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys...i drew hexagons on wall, converted to polyline solids, blocked and inserted on wall...

Used polyline solids and material wall surface for black grout behind...

 

I have a pushed back shower shelf so i had to do back wall twice and remove tiles above shelf..here is the result..

Client has signed off on design....it should be close to this in end...i will post pictures once complete...

 

Also might use some matte white tiles near top to give it a little more depth.

benzene tile view wc with rogue blue.jpg

benzene tile view pb with rogue blue.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dskogg

Nice Work David! I'm a little bit disappointed you skipped the vertical tile trim...and it looks like there should be an escutcheon for the shower head at the wall...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 5:14 PM, robdyck said:

@dskogg

Nice Work David! I'm a little bit disappointed you skipped the vertical tile trim...and it looks like there should be an escutcheon for the shower head at the wall...

Ha ha... I know... you how hard it was to just do this.... I was trying to show the shower door correctly but I couldn’t figure out how to..

 

it’s a black rail sliding dbl door.. how to do it?

 

i hope my Tiler doesn’t freak when I show him this to do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dskogg said:

it’s a black rail sliding dbl door.. how to do it?

 

post on this a couple of days ago..... which has a link to one from last year as well

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dskogg said:

Ha ha... I know... you how hard it was to just do this.... I was trying to show the shower door correctly but I couldn’t figure out how to..

 

it’s a black rail sliding dbl door.. how to do it?

 

i hope my Tiler doesn’t freak when I show him this to do...

The tiling isn't that big of a deal...I bet he'll be happy to do something unique and interesting.

How's this for a shower door...

 

MAAX Halo Sliding Shower Door.calibz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28446
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    ShayKD
    Newest Member
    ShayKD
    Joined