Pdf's On Mac, It Ain't Fun And It Takes A Long Time......

dshall

Working on a MAC,  I have (13)- 8-1/2x11 PDF's to print.  They are on only two separate sheets in layout,  that is all I am printing.  

So drawn on MAC,  save through DROP BOX,  go to PC to print,  the file for these two layout sheets printed at 300 DPI with (13) 8-1/2x11 PDF'S on (2) layout sheets is 11.6 MB.  If I add the the first 16 sheets of my plans  (8.6 MB),  the total file is over 20.0 MB.  Actual size is 20.2 MB.  If over 20 MB I cannot email.

If I print at 144 dpi I get a warning that the print quality may not be very good.

Is anybody else having this issue,  or I am the only Sod in Chief Land with this problem?

The reason for (13) PDF's is Title-24 in the land of *** and nuts.  I can't believe I am the only person that is experiencing this.

Windows OS with V 6 manipulating Pdf's is horrible. Lengthy , laggy and taking six to seven minutes for a standard 24"x36" survey to go to layout. Several more minutes to get to the preview update. If I sniggle the border,another five minutes. I have a high powered XPS, can generally manipulate any images with ease. I just spent one hour trying to print a single sheet for a parking plan. I have been using chief for years, but this is one of the worst issues I can recall, I can not even manipulate a PDF. What gives?

Windows OS as in signature and I have numerous problems with PDF's as well as I'm also dealing with the same mandatory Title 24 pages. Slow, Slow, Slow, to redraw. Painfully slow. Files are huge as you've noted and I can't print to my printer without converting the entire Layout file to PDF. If I forget to convert to PDF I get random blank areas or other printing anomalies on the imported PDF pages.

PDF usage in Chief is BY FAR the most painful part of Layout and printing for me in Chief. HATE working with PDF's in Chief.

I talked to tech support about the printing problem and they said it was actually a printer memory problem. Not enough memory to keep up with modern PDF file sizes. They didn't sound like they were working on any fixes but I wasn't talking to the engineers so who know.

The benefits of being able to import PDF's outweigh the down sides but man I wish there was some improvement in the PDF area.

BTW I've posted numerous times about PDF problems but there didn't seem to be much agreement on there being problems beyond my desk so I dropped it.

Now that Chief Inc ports to Mac for Home Designer titles this PDF question has been appearing at Home Talk in terms of what works as a PDF maker for those applications running on a Mac.

I do not yet own a Mac and would be interested how this is working or not presently:

1. Is there a built in "Print to PDF" function on Mac Versions?

2. How does it work for you?

3. If you do not use the built in application (if any) what do you use instead?

DJP

PS: I have used Cute PDF on my PC for years with good, quick results, never any problems

Mac DOES have a built-in PDF printer however I'm not sure it can be accessed via Chief's printing DBX. 

You might try downloading a PDF printer.  Like David, I used CutePDF for a long time with no problems, however I started needing to do a lot more PDF editing and switched to PDF 24 and then to a paid program called Nitro Pro 9 which I have been very happy with.  Downside is that none of the above are available for Mac.  There are some though...maybe try this one out...

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/49721/pdfwriter

Dang!  I don't quite know how to take that : )

I don't have a Mac, but in CA's print dbx, try  switching to a normal printer instead of the "save as pdf" printer and see if another option shows up down near the bottom of the print dbx.  And if that doesn't work, see if any other options show up here...

post-46-0-59838200-1413335114_thumb.png

Just a few ideas that came to mind.  Hope you figure something out one way or another.

Thanks michael, I will give it a shot tomorrow.... And if it works I will start capitalizing your name.

michael,  note the small letters,  but thanks for the effort.  I suppose if there is a solution,  headquarters will let me know......  I think I will try 1-800-my-apple

my-apple was no help.....  I know CA is aware of this....  they say it is out of there hands....  I think they said it is in the hands of whoever set up their "tool kit" to do whatever......  still seeking a solution.........  I think I will try Dear Abby......